The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M 240 portrait with 90mm

bonatto

I haven't read any reviews yet, but the images I've seen on the web have not enthused me thus far.It's not that they're not good, it's just that it seems like the price of entry is boatloads for improvements, bells, and whistles that don't necessarily improve significantly on the output we've come to know from the M8/M9. Of course, M8's and M9's, and M-E's don't have LED lit framelines etc, hinting at a radical shift in product design. For what it's worth though, and if you've been yearning for a high tech LCD, EVF, and R-mount, the new M may be the best M yet!

Regards,

Fred Bonatto

Jeff S

Jeff, I don't think any well versed photographer simply plops down $7,000 for a new camera simply based on a "consensus" and in that regard my statement and meaning was somewhat taken out of the context in which it was originally stated in.
I fully own up to taking you out of context, Dave, and certainly there are benefits, as you state, in using sources of all kinds to make an informed decision. There are other folks, I'm sad to say, who do in fact plop down lots of money on gear without your level of context and thought process.

In fact, I'm amused by the dozens I've seen in various forums already who think that a few web shots (or any web shot, for that matter) is determinative. I'm not even sure how many people print their pics these days, content to post on public sites, and most of them could save $7k and buy other inexpensive cameras IMHO.

Apologies for addressing you personally; I was using one of your sentences to more broadly vent (again, as in post #13).

Jeff

D&A

I fully own up to taking you out of context, Dave, and certainly there are benefits, as you state, in using sources of all kinds to make an informed decision. There are other folks, I'm sad to say, who do in fact plop down lots of money on gear without your level of context and thought process.

In fact, I'm amused by the dozens I've seen in various forums already who think that a few web shots (or any web shot, for that matter) is determinative. I'm not even sure how many people print their pics these days, content to post on public sites, and most of them could save $7k and buy other inexpensive cameras IMHO.

Apologies for addressing you personally; I was more using one of your sentences to more broadly vent.

Jeff
No problem whatsoever Jeff and certain no apology is owed. A good healthy and productive discussion can only yield positive results for all and I most certainly appreciate your additional posting. Interestingly I had forgotten to mention that I too have always considered the output from the M8/M8.2 outstanding and it's one of my favorites. At the time of the introduction of the M9, except for it's full frame and the requirements of using lenses now having an altered field of view (by 1.33x), it's output for a great many things I often favored over the M9. I liked the M8/M8.2 files acuity and the easy and versatile use of the camera for both color and B&W IR use. Its also some of these traits (the IR sensitivity) that also gives it some advantage it to being a very capable traditional B&W camera. Unfortunately for some, use of those pesky UVIR filters for normal color work still remains unattractive.

For my needs, then and now, I had wished it was upgraded to 18MP and maybe Leica in their own way now thinks the current MM is just such a camera...albeit without the IR sensitivity. For the average image maker that doesn't need to often go beyond 12x18, 13x19 and sometimes a bit larger, the M8/M8.2 is a very capable camera with the ability for extremely high quality output, especially to print, and that would be for color, traditional B&W and also IR imagery. Not a lot of cameras can boast doing all three exceptionally well.

As a side note, I can't help feeling, we haven't seen the last of what I'll refer to as an M10 and may be another reason why the M240 is referred to as simply a "M". It's the modern (not traditional) way of labeling higher tech products. By that I mean, the new M and it's lineage will be based on a state of the art rangefinder for those that desire to bring the Leica rangefinder into the 21st century with EVF, focus peaking, good high ISO performance and a variety of accessories extending the use of the camera with such things as other brand lenses, true macro and telephoto capability etc. Then down the road, possibly a M10 (the M-E being a slight interim economy model)...that will keep the more traditional M8/M9 type body..possibly a updated CCD with slightly better high ISO performance, faster processor, longer battery life, etc..image output that's quite familiar to those that use the M8/M9, and refinement to the size and resolution of the LCD screen etc. Two diverse lines of the Leica digital rangefinders will co-exist. Something tells me there is a market for both...especially from those commenting about the M240, just shortly after it was announced. I could detect two distinct camps of users.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Jeff S

I never minded the crop, having used 8 or more formats up to 8x10 over the years; one gets used to a FOV quickly IMO. And filters never mattered either; I put them on and forgot them. As I've said elsewhere, I find the filter issue amusing, now that some of the same former 'complainers' fully embrace the MM, with its potential to need both color and ND filters on a changing basis. Plus, I got a standard sapphire screen, chrome finish and top display, without having to pay for a 'P' version.

I don't print huge, don't shoot super wide, and don't shoot high ISO (400 ASA was fine for 4 decades). As such I would have been happy to get an M8.3, or M10 for that matter, that was weather sealed, with a quieter shutter, with a Maestro processor and longer battery life, (and still with 2m frame lines), without all the other features. But that's just me.

Jeff

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It definitely shows a lot of promise -- that is assuming the person driving it actually can operate it properly ;)

jabberwocky

My observation is that the amount of detail is similar to the M9, maybe even a bit more due to the higher megapixel count. The small hairs on her chin for example, might be a lot less distinct if there were an AA filter.

The other thing I noticed is possibly the same UV problem with blacks that the m8 and m9 have. Her shirt and neck band are what i assume to be black, but on closer inspection they have a hint of magenta. Her eyelashes are what i assume to be black also, but on closer inspection, they too have a very slight magenta tint. It is hard to say definitively since many "black" shirts are actually deep purple or blue dyes.

The colors seem to be different than the M9's for sure. To my eyes, not necessarily better or worse, but different.

With that said. Almost all cameras have slight nuances that I don't like. I am going to hold on to my M9 for now and might one day move to the new M for its otehr technical improvements.

Last edited: