Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: leica 50mm apo advantages

Post Thanks / Like

Re: leica 50mm apo advantages

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    As another suggested maybe the 21/1.4 is not so good on the MM.
    It means shooting without filters.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
    Why? I own the Summicron, but Puts actually rated the Summarit higher (of course if one doesn't need the extra half stop).

Jeff
    Hi Jeff
    As Douglas says - speed - but maybe you're right - I've always liked the summarit.
    At any rate, I don't need a 35 'lux so much, and I do need a 50 Apo so soooo much

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I was thinking I might also sell my 35 summarit and get a 35 summicron asph . Rationalisation!
    Apart from the Noct, I'm not really very keen on bigger lenses, and I wouldn't usually shoot a 35 at f1.4 anyway.
    I'm in the process of turning my 35 Summicron into a 35 FLE Summilux. That's not so large and a better lens at all apertures (I hope). and I found a good deal. But the 21/1.4 is starting to feel like a millstone, since I got the 21/3.4 SE. It might pay for something really nice. R lenses? So far just a 60/2.8 macro. Hope I can resist further investment in rarely used super-long lenses. Of course, it would be nice if my M waited just a few months more for my bank balance to recover...

scott

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes feel the siren call of the 50 APO but, if I'm honest with myself, it is not really for photographic reasons. I like nice things and a lens that is Leica's best effort at producing a 50 (and built to a standard and not to a price) seems like a particularly "nice" thing to own and use. However, like Jono and others, I don't feel too comfortable buying it without selling a lens or two and I've bought and sold so many M lenses over the years (e.g. I've owned and sold three 35 Summicrons and I'm on my third 35 Summilux) that I've finally learned it is a very bad idea. Juggling lenses has been educational I suppose but it has rarely done anything much for my photography and has done much harm to my bank balance.

All that said, Jono, I think it is perfectly reasonable to sell a 35mm if you have two and shoot mainly with a 50mm but IMO it will be a serious mistake to sell the 35 FLE. IMO it is the perfect single lens to use on a Leica M. It is so sharp when/where you want it to be but, like all the great Leica lenses, still has loads of "mojo" (field curvature and all the other stuff that keeps Tim Ashley awake at night). I also have the Summarit and agree it's a very fine lens but I wouldn't keep mine ahead of my Summilux (in fact I might sell my Summarit and put it towards something else).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    I need to stay away from these threads LOL...great comments...lots of great lenses being discussed. I have expanded and contracted, and the 50 AA is on my dream list, though like Jono, I'd have to consider giving something substantial up (likely my FLE 35 and 50 lux asph) to get it, and I'm not sure that the exhance is worth it for me.....tough choices.
    True, tough choices, but at least we have many choices. Why not just give up all 50's and 35's and get the 40/2.0 cron for $500. In this way the M choice might appear!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Why not just give up all 50's and 35's and get the 40/2.0 cron for $500. In this way the M choice might appear!
    Not so crazy an idea. Sometimes less really is more.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
    I sometimes feel the siren call of the 50 APO but, if I'm honest with myself, it is not really for photographic reasons. I like nice things and a lens that is Leica's best effort at producing a 50 (and built to a standard and not to a price) seems like a particularly "nice" thing to own and use. However, like Jono and others, I don't feel too comfortable buying it without selling a lens or two and I've bought and sold so many M lenses over the years (e.g. I've owned and sold three 35 Summicrons and I'm on my third 35 Summilux) that I've finally learned it is a very bad idea. Juggling lenses has been educational I suppose but it has rarely done anything much for my photography and has done much harm to my bank balance.

All that said, Jono, I think it is perfectly reasonable to sell a 35mm if you have two and shoot mainly with a 50mm but IMO it will be a serious mistake to sell the 35 FLE. IMO it is the perfect single lens to use on a Leica M. It is so sharp when/where you want it to be but, like all the great Leica lenses, still has loads of "mojo" (field curvature and all the other stuff that keeps Tim Ashley awake at night). I also have the Summarit and agree it's a very fine lens but I wouldn't keep mine ahead of my Summilux (in fact I might sell my Summarit and put it towards something else).
    Hi There Ian
    Thank you - sensible - I'm sure I'd regret selling the 35 FLE - the 24 less (it's too big).
    I've sold lenses in the past and almost always regretted it . . .

I sold a MATE as I didn't like the focal lengths on the M8, then bought it again when the M9 came out - that time I didn't like the image quality!

Other than that it's always been a mistake.

Anyway, I've got the borrowed 50 apo for the China trip, so I shouldn't complain. hmmmm maybe I'll sell my 28-90 R lens

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wattsy View Post

Yes it is nice to be able to use a product that's epitomizes the cumulative knowledge of a companies expertise in optics for so many decades, developed without constraints of a price point (assuming one has the funds for such a product). I realize some other lenses might come close but that's why we pay so much more to for that last 10-15% in performance. With that said, the current Zeiss ZM 50mm f2.0 does give the new 50mm AA a run for it's money at a fraction of it's cost.

As for the 35mm Lux FLE, few will argue it's optical performance is exceptional and in absolute terms of sharpness across the frame under all settings, is superior to it"s predecessor, yet some like myself feel it lost a little something in character and the way it draws, including OOF presentation of a variety of subjects/backgrounds, especially when secular highlights are involved.

I know more than a few that eventually sold it in favor of other alternatives. As for curvature, the Lux asph pre FLE has it in spades, compared to the FLE...so the ideal one lens only Leica M digital with a focal length of 35mm, is always up for debate as to which 35mm?

Like always, even as sensors improve and they put demands on our optics, the choice often comes down to either optical "near" perfection or accept lens aberrations, that often add character to an image. Sometimes a lens has just the right amount of both, and then is considered an optical gem. Trouble is, those are the lenses that for better or worse often break the bank

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I struggled a bit on finding a 35mm lens that I like. The ZM 35/2 is nice, but a bit large. The ZM 35/2.8 is a great size, but slow. I liked the 35/1.2 Nokton II, but it was relatively huge. The 35/2 IV was a perfect size and weight, but not exactly what I wanted, optically. The 35/1.4 FLE looks great, but it's also pretty large in comparison to the 35/2 IV, and it is pretty expensive. The 35/2.5 looks great, but a little slow for me...etc...etc.

I ended up with the 35/2 ASPH as a compromise of all factors, and I've been happy with it, so far. If the size was out of the equation, I'd likely go 35/1.4 FLE, but the 35/2 ASPH is already pushing it in size for my everyday lens.

Back to the topic of the 50mm AA, I'd certainly love that lens, but I can't quite get there on the price, as perfect as it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 50 lux asph, V4 pre asph and an F1 Nocti. I'm thinking I'll sell the 2 luxes and get the AA and have a killer modern 50 and a "look" 50 F1.

Post Thanks / Like

on the other hand- I had shot with the pre asph on the mono today and was a bit dissapointed compared to the M9, but I just tried the asph and....wow from 1.4 on, just perfect. Can't sell the asph, no way.....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Shooting with an APO lens is really something else. It's not about resolution, plus, any cron just has this special look, even though Leica have their f1's and 0.95's, it's the cron that is most true to Leica spirit. Sharp, small, looks like medium format, presence, vibrancy. I can't imagine how nice it must be!

Caveat 1: I've just been hit with 3 yrs tax after an accounting screw up, can't afford one of these for 18 mo's at least. We always want what we can't have.
    Caveat 2: I'm a 50 fetishist (which would mean something entirely different if not in the presence of photographers)

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post