Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: leica 50mm apo advantages

Post Thanks / Like

leica 50mm apo advantages

the mtf chart of this lens looks awesome, but in real photos, which type of photographer can really benefit from using this lens over the 50 lux asph?

not sure but i am thinking maybe a landscape photographer (although not really that wide) or maybe an architectural photographer?

maybe for large prints.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: leica 50mm apo advantages

Quote Originally Posted by gooomz View Post
    the mtf chart of this lens looks awesome, but in real photos, which type of photographer can really benefit from using this lens over the 50 lux asph?

not sure but i am thinking maybe a landscape photographer (although not really that wide) or maybe an architectural photographer?

Street shooters and portrait photographers to. Anybody that desires that amazing level of sharpness.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

In order to see the benefits of this (admittedly awesome) lens, you need two things:

1) A medium that will capture the extra detail to begin with. That means an M Monochrom or M at least - or very fine grained film. The M9 platform won't cut it. You might see small differences at 100% but you don't buy a $7k lens for that. Well, maybe some do.

2) You will need to print LARGE. Likely upscaling the image in the process. Little web-sized photos won't show the detail.

But the quality will appeal to anyone. I wouldn't think street so much (half the time they're out of focus, crooked or blurred anyway). Definitely landscape and architecture. Travel.
    Last edited by Double Negative; 7th March 2013 at 12:37. Reason: Removed macro reference; not with this lens.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    In order to see the benefits of this (admittedly awesome) lens, you need two things:

1) A medium that will capture the extra detail to begin with. That means an M Monochrom or M at least - or very fine grained film. The M9 platform won't cut it. You might see small differences at 100% but you don't buy a $7k lens for that. Well, maybe some do.

2) You will need to print LARGE. Likely upscaling the image in the process. Little web-sized photos won't show the detail.

But the quality will appeal to anyone. I wouldn't think street so much (half the time they're out of focus, crooked or blurred anyway). Definitely landscape and architecture. Travel. Product shots; now that the M can do macro.
    I like to pride myself in having street work thats not to OOF and blurry. Kinda easier to do with the MM and the clean high ISO. Shutter speeds of 1/500 and still having the ability to shoot at f/8 and f/11.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
    I like to pride myself in having street work thats not to OOF and blurry. Kinda easier to do with the MM and the clean high ISO. Shutter speeds of 1/500 and still having the ability to shoot at f/8 and f/11.
    This is true - I've seen your work and it's excellent, Allen!

Post Thanks / Like

is a 17x22 print big enough to see the brilliance of the 50 apo?

Post Thanks / Like

Misconceptions galore!

A lens' quality will always transpire, regardless of the sensor or film or print. Even the resolution will show. Even the character. Even its weaknesses. 5x7 is enough for this.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree....5 x 7 is the ideal size for intimate viewing of a whole...not parts of a picture.

I imagine that a digital negative to contact print at 5 x 7 would be ideal...or a 4900 Epson equivalent printer.

Bob

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

"Hear me now, believe me later." - Hanz und Franz

"It is clear that this lens is capable of resolving beyond the definition of the M9 and MM sensors..." - Ming Thein

"The lens will of course only reach peak performance in conjunction with the M9 Monochrom because it has the resolution and the entire imaging chain is so lossless that it’s only then that the performance of the lens comes across.” - Peter Karbe

"The performance of the lens is flawless. For what it is worth, the ASCR at full aperture (f/2) is able to resolve 160 linepairs/mm on microfilm, developed in Spur chemicals. The lens therefore has a large quality margin for use with the M8/9/M-E/Mono with the 6.8 microns pixel size (70 lp/mm) and the M with 6 microns pixel size (80 linepairs/mm)." - Erwin Puts

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, so will some people start using microfilm for street photography now to take advantage of their new Summicrons

Post Thanks / Like

Double negative, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. I could start a blog and start spreading things around in a "professional" way... Just like you did it. That's how easy it is, really. Put up a blog and there it is, the truth itself.

You know what the real problem is today? No one prints. It's all pixel peeping. Every one has become a pro. And the one who creates the most exciting new technical term is even better. Like the term Micro-Contrast. It simply means nothing. And I read a few new ones not long ago. I just couldn't believe the BS.

Look. Beyond the likes of ming thein, or you, or all the others that started not so long ago, the most striking and most revealing thing is that you don't see no famous photographers talking about gear on forums (unless if they're sponsored).

Yes, any lens will show its characteristics Versus a lesser lens in prints as small as 5x7. No need to go beyond 20x30 to start seeing a difference. This is proven daily by me (I print over 2000 16x20 and 20x24 Fiber Base selenium toned prints per year. You can call me an expert on the matter. The other bloggers, I'm not sure you can call them experts).
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ming Thein is the biggest BS artist. He claimed to removed the Bayer layer from a Sony NEX 5N. The fact is you cannot removed this layer at all. It is actually underneath the sensor itself. So I agreed with you NB23.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to "prove" anything. Fact is, I don't give a rat's arse. I'm certainly not vouching for Ming Thein nor Erwin Puts. But I'm pretty sure you can believe Peter Karbe.

If you compare a crappy lens to a good one, sure - you'll see a difference in a 5x7" print. Take two very good lenses and compare them and you've got jack. Be it print or digital.

But I bow to your clearly EXPERT level diatribe...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

In re-reading my first post in this thread, perhaps I wasn't clear. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you need to print billboards to appreciate that this is a really good lens. Or that you can't see a lens' signature in even web-sized images.

I was looking at it from a comparative standpoint - comparing the previous Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH to the new APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH. That is - seeing the difference between the two. Or even other really good 50mm lenses like the Summilux-M ASPH that the OP asked about.

As for making it into a personal attack... That was just uncalled for. WhoTF do you think you're talking to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please, let us keep this thread civil and helpful.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As for making it into a personal attack... That was just uncalled for.
    I agree but the WhoTF comment does not enhance your point.

How about we all take a deep breath and realize this is a wonderful lens at an extreme price point ... justifying our purchases need not engender this amount of stress...

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

In re-reading my first post in this thread, perhaps I wasn't clear.
    I don't know, you made some pretty bold claims (e.g. "you need... an M Monochrom or M at least - or very fine grained film. The M9 platform won't cut it") that I assumed were borne out by personal experience of this lens. Your later post (with the quotes) suggests that you might just be extrapolating (IMO incorrectly) from the published comments of others?
    Ian Watts | Tumblr | Instagram |www.ianwatts.co.uk

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not rocket science - it's common sense. If a medium can't resolve the details, you won't see the difference. The closest you'll get is the absolute resolution of the medium and not what the lens is capable of. That's all I'm saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FSOT View Post
    Ming Thein is the biggest BS artist. He claimed to removed the Bayer layer from a Sony NEX 5N. The fact is you cannot removed this layer at all. It is actually underneath the sensor itself. So I agreed with you NB23.
    When did Ming Thein claim to do that? All that I'm aware of is that he removed the AA/IR/UV filter pack over the NEX-5's sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    When did Ming Thein claim to do that? All that I'm aware of is that he removed the AA/IR/UV filter pack over the NEX-5's sensor.
    He did not even do that (remove AA). Yes, he spun that little post to an extent that it gave that impression. It is quite possible he has no technical knowledge of what he was doing or writing about. Not a big deal.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Cool, so will some people start using microfilm for street photography now to take advantage of their new Summicrons
    Hi Tom, If you are interested, I can spool and give you a color positive archival film rated at a whopping 0.1 ASA. It resolves >1000 lp/mm. The chemicals to develop it, it is up to you to find them and use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    He did not even do that (remove AA). Yes, he spun that little post to an extent that it gave that impression. It is quite possible he has no technical knowledge of what he was doing or writing about. Not a big deal.
    How so? His blog post seems to clearly indicate that he did. What did he really do?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    How so? His blog post seems to clearly indicate that he did. What did he really do?
    I re-read that blog post and find problems with almost every paragraph in that. I do not have the time nor the interest to rewite the whole thing which is an utter OT and a worthless discussion.

I think the person who posted originally on this topic in this thread is spot on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I re-read that blog post and find problems with almost every paragraph in that. I do not have the time nor the interest to rewite the whole thing which is an utter OT and a worthless discussion.

I think the person who posted originally on this topic in this thread is spot on!
    Why bother posting about it in the first place. I only asked about the AA thing.

Why would you say the above poster is spot on, when he says that Thein claims to have removed the CFA, which I see no evidence of?? You can start another thread about it, if this isn't the place, but please don't leave us hanging.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, You arereferring to a part of his post but I was saying that his conclusion is spot on.

No AA was removed. I shoot with NEx bodies without the factory UV/ IR filters. I am yet to see any moire, even with some of the sharpest lenses ever made. Believe you me, i do have a few sharp lense that some of the bloggers out there have no clue about.

More to the point (shallwe consider this topic closed here for now?)- thecover glass on the sensor in a NEX is an AA filter. It is not a typical glass at all. A very esoteric material with unusual (for a glass) properties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, You arereferring to a part of his post but I was saying that his conclusion is spot on.

No AA was removed. I shoot with NEx bodies without the factory UV/ IR filters. I am yet to see any moire, even with some of the sharpest lenses ever made. Believe you me, i do have a few sharp lense that some of the bloggers out there have no clue about.

More to the point (shallwe consider this topic closed here for now?)- thecover glass on the sensor in a NEX is an AA filter. It is not a typical glass at all. A very esoteric material with unusual (for a glass) properties.
    Thanks for the info, Vivek, although moire was a rather typical problem with the old NEX-5 for many users, even with the AA in place. I certainly noticed it on occasion.
    Last edited by douglasf13; 7th March 2013 at 18:11.

Post Thanks / Like

But the quality will appeal to anyone. I wouldn't think street so much (half the time they're out of focus, crooked or blurred anyway). Definitely landscape and architecture. Travel.
    This is totally inaccurate, you cannot see a resolution difference between m and m9 for the most part. Your replies are also very rude. Just because you blog, do not assume you are an expert. NB23 is correct in his statements.

I like the way you blog, actually lot better than some other Leica bloggers. but look at Jono's response to critics in Leica rumors after they unjustly tore him apart. His response is classy and respectful. This is the way you earn respect.

Back to topic, I have used both lenses and the Apo50 has a different signature, more corrected for distortion and aberration. Resolution wise both lenses resolve more than current cameras. For M monochrome, I much prefer a low contrast lens than an apo50 but that's just me. This answet may not help you but this is how I feel about these two lenses
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame this thread has gone off topic, I think the OP is a valid and interesting question.

is a 17x22 print big enough to see the brilliance of the 50 apo?
    It's an APO lens, so in short, yes you would see the magnificence of colour and tonality, irrespective of the size of print. More than a large print you need very good light and a very good subject. You need to remain 16 bits and with a decent colour gamut through to printing.

The resolution of the printing process has more to do with rendering sharpness than the size of the print. Some 8x10 owners still refuse to enlarge because a disciplined photog creating contact prints are simply astounding. So in theory a smaller print can see significant differences, but it depends heavily on a disciplined process.

To max out my printer I can go to 600dpi, uni-directional printing and some super-high quality mode. At 600dpi, an image of 3472 x 5216 would print it's finest at 5.8" x 8.7". Assuming a disciplined capture process, good light and disciplined post (especially sharpening and local contrast control) you would could produce remarkable prints with this lens, the difference should be visible even on an M8.

- Paul

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    This is totally inaccurate, you cannot see a resolution difference between m and m9 for the most part. Your replies are also very rude. Just because you blog, do not assume you are an expert. NB23 is correct in his statements.

I like the way you blog, actually lot better than some other Leica bloggers. but look at Jono's response to critics in Leica rumors after they unjustly tore him apart. His response is classy and respectful. This is the way you earn respect.
    Who said anything about seeing a difference in resolution between the M and M9? I was talking about seeing a difference between lenses on a sensor that won't resolve those details in the first place. In looking at the numbers from Erwin, it would appear that even the M won't show the full capabilities of the APO.

As for my response... I'm not a "blogger" - nor do I claim to be an expert. But I've been doing this long enough, and certainly longer than those I was compared to in NB23's post. I don't take that kind of crap from real people, let alone some anonymous person on a forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    You know what the real problem is today? No one prints. It's all pixel peeping.
    I print since I consider it the last step in enjoying image capture. I do not print that many images per year, only the ones I like. 36x72, yes one to be done when I can afford it AND the mounting, 36x24 yes a few, 30x20 yes a few, but most prints I enjoy the most are those which I can print at home-they are 13x19 or 17x22.

Post Thanks / Like

Who said anything about seeing a difference in resolution between the M and M9? I was talking about seeing a difference between lenses on a sensor that won't resolve those details in the first place. In looking at the numbers from Erwin, it would appear that even the M won't show the full capabilities of the APO.

As for my response... I'm not a "blogger" - nor do I claim to be an expert. But I've been doing this long enough, and certainly longer than those I was compared to in NB23's post. I don't take that kind of crap from real people, let alone some anonymous person on a forum.
    No comments..... Well let me repeat NB23's first response to you. "Misconceptions galore". Have fun

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    Well . . . . I keep trying to persuade myself that my lovely 'lux is just as good. I'm lucky enough to have been able to borrow one of these lenses for a little while now. Soon the terrible moment is going to come when I have to give it back.

Truth is that for most photographs you don't really notice . . . and then there'll be one that smacks you in the face - I have no idea how to describe it. but it's there, and you can still see it in web sized jpgs - even facebook maulings don't completely remove it.

I don't have any grannies to sell, but the terrible moment is going to come when I have to decide to buy this lens . . . there is no escape . . . resistance is useless!

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

just recently tried my 21mm lux asph on the MM. While I have never noticed this before, while still great, my 21mm lux images are just less sharp as the ones i have taken with my M9. the sensor on the MM demands the most of the lens as while the 21mm asph is great, is is far from the sharpest 21mm and the MM shows it as the M9 wouldn't so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There
    Well . . . . I keep trying to persuade myself that my lovely 'lux is just as good. I'm lucky enough to have been able to borrow one of these lenses for a little while now. Soon the terrible moment is going to come when I have to give it back.

Truth is that for most photographs you don't really notice . . . and then there'll be one that smacks you in the face - I have no idea how to describe it. but it's there, and you can still see it in web sized jpgs - even facebook maulings don't completely remove it.

I don't have any grannies to sell, but the terrible moment is going to come when I have to decide to buy this lens . . . there is no escape . . . resistance is useless!

all the best
    I have the 50 LA and I don't know what to do , if I change for the AA or not
    one day I say yes the next day no

You really think it is worth to change ?
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

I'm still going back and forth. Is the APO's performance worth a Noct trade in? So many say no, but they seem to have their Nocts glued to their cameras. I find myself leaving it home because of its weight, and lack of close focusing distance. I'd like to have both but can't justify so much moola in two lenses, which are both 50mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, but I'd like to hear from some good photographers what they think of the lens before I pull the trigger. Jono's comments caught my attention because he has a Summilux, and he wishes he could keep the APO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Lawyer View Post
    Jono,

I'm still going back and forth. Is the APO's performance worth a Noct trade in? So many say no, but they seem to have their Nocts glued to their cameras. I find myself leaving it home because of its weight, and lack of close focusing distance. I'd like to have both but can't justify so much moola in two lenses, which are both 50mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by erick.boileau View Post
    I have the 50 LA and I don't know what to do , if I change for the AA or not
    one day I say yes the next day no

You really think it is worth to change ?
    Hi There
    Problem is that I still use my 50 'lux - I really like it for evening do's, pubs etc where I don't dare take my Noctilux, but I'd like the extra stop.

3 50's is clearly overkill . . . . except that probably 50% of my shots are taken with a 50.

Current feeling is to sell my 35 FLE and 24 'lux to fund the 50 AA, because I don't use them as much as either of the other 50s.

. . . . but if someone trod on my foot and said your Noct or your 50 'cron . . . . I think I'd keep the 50 'cron.

Sorry!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There
    Problem is that I still use my 50 'lux - I really like it for evening do's, pubs etc where I don't dare take my Noctilux, but I'd like the extra stop.

3 50's is clearly overkill . . . . except that probably 50% of my shots are taken with a 50.

Current feeling is to sell my 35 FLE and 24 'lux to fund the 50 AA, because I don't use them as much as either of the other 50s.

. . . . but if someone trod on my foot and said your Noct or your 50 'cron . . . . I think I'd keep the 50 'cron.

Sorry!
    arrrrrrg !

thanks Jono

I shall keep my 35 Summilux in any case
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comment, Jono. I may regret it some day; I'm going to let the Noctilux go in favor of the APO. I have a Monochrom and I'll look forward to glueing it onto that.
    Last edited by Photo Lawyer; 12th March 2013 at 17:02.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by erick.boileau View Post
    arrrrrrg !

thanks Jono

I shall keep my 35 Summilux in any case
    I was thinking I might also sell my 35 summarit and get a 35 summicron asph . Rationalisation!
    Apart from the Noct, I'm not really very keen on bigger lenses, and I wouldn't usually shoot a 35 at f1.4 anyway.

Madness - it's all Madness

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Lawyer View Post
    Didn't say you weren't a good photographer. I said I wanted to hear from some good photographers.

Thanks for the comment, Jono. I may regret it some day; I'm going to let the Noctilux go in favor of the APO. I have a Monochrom and I'll look forward to glueing it onto that.
    I don't think you'll regret it if you leave your Noctilux at home (you certainly won't leave the 50 APO at home!)
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking I might also sell my 35 summarit and get a 35 summicron asph . Rationalisation!
    Apart from the Noct, I'm not really very keen on bigger lenses, and I wouldn't usually shoot a 35 at f1.4 anyway.

Madness - it's all Madness
    I am also mainly using 50mm and 135mm

but yes only madness
    Leica M

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying that I am "safe" from buying a 50APO Summicron one day - but most 50s I have used so far (50 Summicron, 50 Summilux asph, 50 Summarit and 0.95 Noctilux) are so good that I believe that advantages of the 50AA are more a pixel peeping and mental thing.
    Thats why I will continue to try to resist.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I am not saying that I am "safe" from buying a 50APO Summicron one day - but most 50s I have used so far (50 Summicron, 50 Summilux asph, 50 Summarit and 0.95 Noctilux) are so good that I believe that advantages of the 50AA are more a pixel peeping and mental thing.
    Thats why I will continue to try to resist.
    Hi Tom. You're completely safe. Unless you try one for a few days.
    All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If your can afford it and it makes you happy, then I would say it was a benefit. Happy photographers take better pictures.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I dare say, Jono, this is a curious dilemma for you. Sell a 35 FLE! I can see selling the 24/1.4 if seldom used, but the 35! You know why they've let you keep that 50APO for so long? They figured you would have sprung for it by now.

On my MM, my favorites are still the 50APO, Noctilux f1.0 and the 40/2.0. I know, strange bedfellows, but that's my take up to now. As another suggested maybe the 21/1.4 is not so good on the MM. Have not tried that combination as yet as I am too enthralled with R glass usage for the moment.

Wonder about the M now as soon as I get the PP figured out to my liking, then the M9 backup will be replaced with what your contemplating or should I say with what you've ordered.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to stay away from these threads LOL...great comments...lots of great lenses being discussed. I have expanded and contracted, and the 50 AA is on my dream list, though like Jono, I'd have to consider giving something substantial up (likely my FLE 35 and 50 lux asph) to get it, and I'm not sure that the exhance is worth it for me.....tough choices.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

with the new M and the MM with their hi rez sensors, doesnt it seem like slower sharper glass like the super elmars and crons seem to be more in demand over the lux/noct equivalents?

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking I might also sell my 35 summarit and get a 35 summicron asph
    Why? I own the Summicron, but Puts actually rated the Summarit higher (of course if one doesn't need the extra half stop).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
    Why? I own the Summicron, but Puts actually rated the Summarit higher (of course if one doesn't need the extra half stop).

Jeff
    I'd imagine that the extra speed would be most shooter's reason for choosing the Summicron. That's why I bought the Summicron over the Summarit and C-Biogon.