The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

thought I was losing my mind

The M Mono arrived yesterday....love at first sight. Went to open files in Capture 1 the only Raw program besides Raw Developer I've used for years. I couldn't import any images. Having recently upgraded (via demo glad to say) to 7.0 with it's new "catalogues" and old "sessions" I assumed I was doing something wrong, over, and over, again. But I could work with Nef's....hmmmm....could it be that Mono DNGs aren't compatible with Capture?? That would be ridiculous!! But true. Ok, I've held out long enough, and it comes with the camera. so Lightroom is in my future. Fortunately the latest Raw Developer, now called Irident Developer, opened the files which are so nice!

algrove

Congrats. Now you will need to get some ND filters fast as I imagine the snow shots up there will need filtration while using the MM. Remember to keep your latest love warm while outside.

erudolph

i resisted lightroom for years too, being a photoshop enthusiast, but after a week with lightroom, i'm very enthusiastic about it too.

The M Mono arrived yesterday....love at first sight. Went to open files in Capture 1 the only Raw program besides Raw Developer I've used for years. I couldn't import any images. Having recently upgraded (via demo glad to say) to 7.0 with it's new "catalogues" and old "sessions" I assumed I was doing something wrong, over, and over, again. But I could work with Nef's....hmmmm....could it be that Mono DNGs aren't compatible with Capture?? That would be ridiculous!! But true. Ok, I've held out long enough, and it comes with the camera. so Lightroom is in my future. Fortunately the latest Raw Developer, now called Irident Developer, opened the files which are so nice!
I contacted Phase One Support Service about 6 weeks ago and the answer was :"We are awaiting sample cameras from Leica to be able to test it."
For your information also AccuRaw RC3 (among others) is supporting the Monochrom file.

I am amazed that Phase One is playing hard to get. All they need are DNGs , not a camera. Or is Leica so in business with Adobe they are the problem? Hard to give up 5 years of work flow, and C1 gives superb IQ.

jonoslack

I am amazed that Phase One is playing hard to get. All they need are DNGs , not a camera. Or is Leica so in business with Adobe they are the problem? Hard to give up 5 years of work flow, and C1 gives superb IQ.
Hi There
Trouble is that it would seem to be difficult to avoid the de-mosaicing. Apple don't support the MM files either (even though they are working on it). I can imagine the difficulty.

Have fun with your lovely new camera!

V

Vivek

In addition to the ND filters, consider yellow and orange varieties. Very handy. The Leica flash as well. LR is more than adequate for me ( i ma the last person to go to about PP- but the camera does the most for anyone).

Hi There
Trouble is that it would seem to be difficult to avoid the de-mosaicing. Apple don't support the MM files either (even though they are working on it). I can imagine the difficulty.

Have fun with your lovely new camera!
I see Jono. Thanks for the info and best wishes.....Peter

Just did my first work in Lightroom (posted one in the fun with thread), and I am impressed and prepared to go with it.....Peter

Paratom

Just did my first work in Lightroom (posted one in the fun with thread), and I am impressed and prepared to go with it.....Peter
I switched from C1 to lr some years ago. I still have both software on my computer but overall LR seems more consistent regarding color in my opinion. (I am talking about M8/M9/S2...)
Also LR is allmost allways pretty fast with providing profiles for new cameras of all brands.

RVB

I switched from C1 to lr some years ago. I still have both software on my computer but overall LR seems more consistent regarding color in my opinion. (I am talking about M8/M9/S2...)
Also LR is allmost allways pretty fast with providing profiles for new cameras of all brands.
I find that S/S2 files are more detailed in C1P7,but the lack of lens support is disappointing.

LR4 is so competitively priced that it's worth having both apps.

Using embedded profile does improve color in LR4.. also helpful that you can create custom profiles in LR4 with the color checker

Paratom

I find that S/S2 files are more detailed in C1P7,but the lack of lens support is disappointing.

LR4 is so competitively priced that it's worth having both apps.

Using embedded profile does improve color in LR4.. also helpful that you can create custom profiles in LR4 with the color checker
I found skintones of S2 files sometimes problematic with c1 (and I have tried various different profiles including the one form Leica).
I also feel c1 has more sharpening included in the standard setting.
I switched to C1 many years ago when using the DMR and M8, but over the years I now prefer LR.

It's a real shame about C1. It has two weaknesses.

1. No support for monochrome DNG's (Don't forget this is an OPEN SPECIFICATION published by Adobe, not a LEICA issue!!!).

2. I cannot import a text file of keywords given to me by an agency.

1 is bad, but 2 is impossible, I can't possibly type in a hierarchy of thousands of keywords for each agency, so basically stuck with LR, at least as an asset manager. The problem with LR is sharpening and clarity, their algos are too aggressive.

:( I really love the C1 output, especially v7.

RVB

I found skintones of S2 files sometimes problematic with c1 (and I have tried various different profiles including the one form Leica).
I also feel c1 has more sharpening included in the standard setting.
I switched to C1 many years ago when using the DMR and M8, but over the years I now prefer LR.
I find the S/S2 to be less able to produce skin tone's than Hasselblad/Phase One.. I think it will improve as the system mature's though..

Spot on about sharpening in C1P7,the file's need very little sharpening,they seem to be very sharp at default setting's.. file's look to be higher res in C1P7 than LR4.. Colour is subjective but I have a slight preference for C1