The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shutter noise:MM vs M9 vs M9p (vsM)

Paratom

I just realized that my M9 is much noiser than my MM.
I wondered if the M9p is same like the MM in this regard or if M9p is like the M9?
And how quiet is the new M compared to all?
Thanks for any feedback, Tom

StephenPatterson

I have owned two M9-Ps and both had different shutter sounds and feel, which were different from the M9, M8.2, M8 and MM. Lots of variation, probably related to the hand built nature of the camera.

The M(240) is in a completely different league. The closest comparison I can make is with my M2...

Jeff S

The shutter sound itself was never the issue for me; rather it's the obnoxious motor re-cock noise. On my wish list for what turned out to be the M was a way to eliminate or muffle that sound (or even offer a manual re-cock if that were possible). I'm pleased Leica addressed this issue with the M by shortening and muffling the sound. I haven't held the camera, but some videos I've seen comparing it to the M9 (one by Thorsten Overgaard) makes the difference clear.

Before I bought my M8.2, I tested 2 cameras in a local Leica shop against 2 M9s. The Leica rep released the shutters while several of us in the crowd closed our eyes. Not anything scientific, but everyone thought he M8.2 was marginally quieter each time. I still hated the sound compared to my film Ms, and hoped the discreet setting would compensate. But I never liked discreet mode, since it only delayed the inevitable.

Kudos to Leica for finally addressing the real issue, restoring a more film-like experience.

Jeff

D&A

The shutter sound itself was never the issue for me; rather it's the obnoxious motor re-cock noise. On my wish list for what turned out to be the M was a way to eliminate or muffle that sound (or even offer a manual re-cock if that were possible). I'm pleased Leica addressed this issue with the M by shortening and muffling the sound. I haven't held the camera, but some videos I've seen comparing it to the M9 (one by Thorsten Overgaard) makes the difference clear.

Before I bought my M8.2, I tested 2 cameras in a local Leica shop against 2 M9s. The Leica rep released the shutters while several of us in the crowd closed our eyes. Not anything scientific, but everyone thought he M8.2 was marginally quieter each time. I still hated the sound compared to my film Ms, and hoped the discreet setting would compensate. But I never liked discreet mode, since it only delayed the inevitable.

Kudos to Leica for finally addressing the real issue, restoring a more film-like experience.

Jeff
Jeff, this is what I longed wished for and like the Epson Rd-1, I even though a viable solution would be a simple film advance lever that re-cocked the shutter. Since most Leica M9 and M8 shooters generally don't use continuous mode and also needed a place to rest their thumb...I was surprised they didn't introduce the film advance lever solution in one of their previous updates or introductions....at least until a solution like what's incorporated in the new < body was available.

Dave (D&A)

StephenPatterson

I even though a viable solution would be a simple film advance lever that re-cocked the shutter....I was surprised they didn't introduce the film advance lever solution in one of their previous updates or introductions....

Dave (D&A)
Dave, can you imagine how complicated and expensive the electro-mechanical assembly would have been for a manual re-cock of the electronic M9 shutter, compared to a simple electric motor? Leica have demonstrated by removing the frame preview lever on the M-E that gears and levers are costly to produce and assemble, and that electronics are the only way.

But it sure would have been cool to have on the M9... ;)

Last edited: