The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21 sem/ 24 3.8 over 21/24 lux for daytime

Double Negative

Not Available
I almost went for the SEM as I'm switching to Leica lenses primarily. Bonus about the filter size, but a bit slower than I really preferred. The 21 Lux just wasn't a consideration. That left older Leica glass, the ZM or some Voigtländer options...

I went for the 21mm f/1.8 Ultron and I have to say, I'm quite pleasantly surprised with it. I plan to use the sh*t out of it next week, so we'll see how it holds up.

gooomz

in and around the center of the image is the 21 sem sharper then the 21 lux both wide open and 5.6?

or are we always talking edges and corners?

sven

I have both, the 21 SEM is in a different league, the 21 SEM is sharper, less distortion (almost no distortion), better tonality, better microcontrast, more resolution both center and at periphery. Btw, my copy of lux 21 is not a dud. I recommend that you buy the SEM if you do not need the speed. The 21 lux has a signature due its 1.4 aperture but from f/3.4 onwards, the SEM is alround better.

gooomz

thanks.

should the 3.4 or 3.8 aperture on the 24mm even be a concern indoors in low light when using with the Monochrom?

V

Vivek

thanks.

should the 3.4 or 3.8 aperture on the 24mm even be a concern indoors in low light when using with the Monochrom?
Please do not take it the wrong way. I mean this with the best of intentions.

Why not get some personal help? Sign up to a workshop or contact Jack or Guy, for example. I am positive that the dividends will be enormous.

gooomz

Vivek, no offense taken. I always appreciate all the good kind advice on this forum.

I will consider a workshop as I am always willing to learn.

btw. i think I will be going with the 21 sem.

Kokoshawnuff

Ergonomically, the SEM is my favorite Leica lens--it just feels right. Optically it's on par with the best of the best.

jrp

This comparison provides an account of 4 21mm Leica lenses, including the Zeiss and the Cosina Voigtlander, that accords with my experience in trying them out briefly. The downloadable pictures tell the story.

The Summilux is, in my view, too compromised for general use: resolution, thin depth of field, coma, etc, mean that it's probably best for a certain kind of reportage. The SEM provides much cleaner, crisper pictures, provided that you have enough light / a sufficiently still subject.

MCTuomey

lots of good words about the 21 sem, but i never hear high praise for the 24mm 3.8.
I have the SEM 21 and had the 24 f/3.8 for several months last year. I haven't used the SEM 21 much yet, but my impression so far is that the 24 f/3.8 and SEM 21 files are equally good.

Last edited:

FrozenInTime

I've had the 21 Summilux for a few years. Even wide open, it captures a scene in depth, as in this example:
I'm also holding back using my 21 Summilux for daytime architectural shots - the 21 SEM does look like the necessary complimentary lens to the Summilux.
I had hoped the M.240 would work better with the Zeiss 21/4.5 and was delaying a decision until this was known.

( large in-line images rather than linking :thumbdown: - thread really sucks on the ipad. )

algrove

Vivek, no offense taken. I always appreciate all the good kind advice on this forum.

I will consider a workshop as I am always willing to learn.

btw. i think I will be going with the 21 sem.
One way to find out what both can do for YOU is to take a Leica Akademie course since they have a full compliment of M lenses you can try out at no additional cost to you. Also if you take a course then you get a $150 voucher for a discount on which ever lens you decide to buy. All around a very attractive alternative.

M9P + 21/1.4 at 1.4 Double click to enlarge

View attachment 70774

Last edited: