Site Sponsors

Thread: Great time to be buying

Post Thanks / Like

Great time to be buying

Not sure if it is the bad economy, or a glut of camera equipment out there but if anyone is planning to buy lens or cameras (Nikon and Leica are what I use. Not sure about Canon or others), it seems like a great time to buy. Seems like there are lots of pretty good lenses and bodies at great prices lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Great time to be buying

What are you looking to buy in Leica gear?

Post Thanks / Like

Lou, right now, I think I am pretty much set with my Leica setup. The price seems to be lower lately. Example is 6 months ago, the going rate for the 50mm lux asph was at MSRP or higher. Even if they are used. Right now, I've seen them as low as $3000. 28mm 2.8 ASPH in mint was going for over $2K before and now, it seems like people are struggle to sell them at $1600.

Vince

Post Thanks / Like

The 50 Lux (and others) are now readily available in stores, so there is no reason to pay MSRP for used.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly - the stock has backfilled through dealers, the new M is slow to deliver and perhaps some people are liquidating to fund the latter. Then there's the economy, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VINCET View Post
    Not sure if it is the bad economy, or a glut of camera equipment out there but if anyone is planning to buy lens or cameras (Nikon and Leica are what I use. Not sure about Canon or others), it seems like a great time to buy. Seems like there are lots of pretty good lenses and bodies at great prices lately.
    I agree. I've recently purchased two like-new (indistinguishable from new) Leica lenses from Dale Photo (no affiliation) at excellent prices, especially compared to a year ago. And I bought a new 75mm Summicron-M on eBay at less than MSRP from a Leica dealer. Buyers market for now. We'll see how the market behaves when the M 240 is readily available.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

It took a a pretty long time, with several price cuts, to sell my Summicron 35 asph for $2050 (a lens that was selling used 2.5 years ago for $3000), but I was also able to buy a new Summilux 35 FLE from an authorized dealer for a couple hundred under retail. So what I lost in the sale I regained in the purchase.

So if you're planning on selling, you just have to buy a replacement to get your money lost back

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Leica S 2's are a good buy too. I've seen a few for less than half of MSRP. Both M8/M9's are a bargain! I'm glad I waited.

Post Thanks / Like

i missed out on a S2 listed fo 11k on amazon. condition like new. kicking myself now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michael,

If you're looking for an S2, try the dealers that are taking them in as trades for the new S. I'd suggest Dale Photo and Camera West (no affiliation with either). I traded a very lightly used S2 in December.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    i missed out on a S2 listed fo 11k on amazon. condition like new. kicking myself now

Post Thanks / Like

are you trading yours in? I don't see much improvement in the new S or amImissing something

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    are you trading yours in? I don't see much improvement in the new S or amImissing something
    Michael,

No, not trading my new S. I bought a used S2 and two S-system lenses from Don Hutton in October and traded it for a new S in December. Received it on Christmas Eve from Dale Photo. Sweeeeet!

Yes, you're missing something!

Joe