Site Sponsors

Thread: Best 50mm pairing with the 28cron asph ?

Post Thanks / Like

Best 50mm pairing with the 28cron asph ?

Hi folks ,

I am looking for opinion on the best 50mm lens that will match the 28mm Cron asph in terms of color and rendering .

I have a 50mm pre asph 1.4 summilux ( e46 model with extendable hood ) , but find the images between the two quite different , preferring the 28mm asph Cron. ( the Cron seems to produce rich , detailed , sharp pics while the pre asph lux is lower contrast and softer , particularly wide open )

I was just going to buy the 50mm Cron v5 but am wondering as its not an asph lens is there a better match ? ( I am willing to consider non leica lenses ) .

Finally, I would consider the 50lux asph but would prefer not to have to spend the $$ :-) .

Thanks for your time

James

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best 50mm pairing with the 28cron asph ?

I'm sure there will be a lot of excellent opinions posted regarding this question, so permit me to start it off.

From personal experience, I have found the 28mm Cron asph and 50mm Lux asph quite close in rendition and they way they draw. If anything, the 28mm Cron asph is a bit more gentle in it's representation but on the whole, images from both appear to be quite simialr aside from differences in focal length.

Other with experiences greater than mine with a wider variety of other 50mm lenses might suggest a better match.

Dave (D&A)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I'm with Dave. I use the Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH and Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH together as my main two lenses (with a 21 and 90 on either end for four).

Post Thanks / Like

DN & Dave,
    Thanks, I suspected as much, its just that my wallet and wife were hoping for another answer , lol.

James

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment my favorite is a 50 silver Summicron. (I think it is the latest version)
    I also own a Summilux asph and a Noctilux 0.95 (great lens but pretty big).
    The images from the Summciron 50 on the MM look very subtile and nice.
    I only bought the Summicron because it was in a set with a chrome M6 which I wanted and now it has become my most used 50 (at the moment at least).
    My second fav. lens is the 28 Summicron asph, third 75/2.0 and number 4 is the 21/3.4
    Out of maybe 15 M lenses I own (however plan to sell some) these 4 are all I really use at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jubbaa View Post
    its just that my wallet and wife were hoping for another answer , lol.
    Tell her we said the best solution is the 50 APO Summicron. After preparing for that, she'll think the Summilux asph is a bargain.

Jeff
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM would make a good match (optically) too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also consider the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5, great color and the same size filter (46) as the 28 Cron.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    I would also consider the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5, great color and the same size filter (46) as the 28 Cron.
    Thanks Dan , but I would have thought the c-sonar would be more like my pre asph summilux as it markets itself as a classic lens . I am looking for something that's more modern .

James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
    Tell her we said the best solution is the 50 APO Summicron. After preparing for that, she'll think the Summilux asph is a bargain.

Jeff
    Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I own just about every new Leica 50 there is and many Mandler 50's too (plus the Zeiss 50/1.5 which I just sold) and also own the 28/2.0. You cannot go wrong with the 50/2.0 Summicron and I am not talking the APO which I also own. The #11826 is a bargain for a Leica lens and just renders beautifully. PM me as I have other comments for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet is probably the 50 Summilux ASPH

Nothing will match the exact look of the 28 Cron, it's a nice balance between modern and classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps it might be a good idea to see the year when the 28/2 was first introduced (or the year of production of YOUR 28/2) and then try to match a 50 which was introduced in that same year. IMHO this might create about the best lens "match" you are aiming to achieve.

Post Thanks / Like

Noctilux 0.95. Just get it over with...

The Nocti can be a "normal" 50 when stopped down, and give a great look, but no other lens can do what this lens does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    Noctilux 0.95. Just get it over with...

The Nocti can be a "normal" 50 when stopped down, and give a great look, but no other lens can do what this lens does.
    My god man are you trying to get me divorced . Haha

Post Thanks / Like

One black Leica lens looks like another. Just tell your wife it's a Voigtlander

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    At the moment my favorite is a 50 silver Summicron. (I think it is the latest version)
    I also own a Summilux asph and a Noctilux 0.95 (great lens but pretty big).
    The images from the Summciron 50 on the MM look very subtile and nice.
    I only bought the Summicron because it was in a set with a chrome M6 which I wanted and now it has become my most used 50 (at the moment at least).
    My second fav. lens is the 28 Summicron asph, third 75/2.0 and number 4 is the 21/3.4
    Out of maybe 15 M lenses I own (however plan to sell some) these 4 are all I really use at the moment.
    More or less the same for me - on the MM I prefer the 28 2.0 with 50 2.0 current version. Asative I have often the Sonnar C 50 in the pocket. On the short side i like to add a Biogon 21 2.8.

All the best

JPH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@jubbaa-
    Any decisions on your research as yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I own the 50 Summilux ASPH, the current pre-APO 50 Summicron and the ZM 50 f2 Planar. There is little question that if I could only keep one it would be the Summicron, due to the rendering. The color generated by the Summilux is great though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    @jubbaa-
    Any decisions on your research as yet?
    Honestly - since making the decision to buy a Leica late last year I don't think I have ever been gripped by GAS as much as I have with anything else.

Infact I am sure that if I had spent as much time focusing on my job as I have spent on the Internet researching the nuances of different m mount lenses I am pretty sure I would have received a promotion by now !!

I posted this question on another forum and it seems the answer is plot between the asph lux and the 50 Cron v4/5 . I was origionally leaning towards the Cron as its cheaper but am now thinking that I should just bite the bullet and go with the Lux .

Can I ask do you think there is any real word difference between the lux and the Cron at f2 ? ( viewed on a 24 inch monitor or printed no bigger than A3 ) . If there isn't then it's just about do I want to pay the extra $ for the speed.

so does the lux render / draw differently than the Cron at the same apertures

James

Post Thanks / Like

No need to answer as I went with the lux in the end. Now my pair are both ASPH I think that it's a very good match and the extra speed over the Cron will come in handy.

Thanks for all your help.

James .

P.S. I am done buying for the year now , that is unless something else catches my eye , haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You made a great choice -- the 50mm 1.4 ASPH would still be my pick as the best Leica 50mm, regardless of price. In my opinion, the combination of speed, size and performance are still the best combination. Perhaps when they produce a 40mp M the ASPH summicron will make more sense, but as it stands now, the 50/1.4 is hard to ignore. I do have to admit, however, that there is very little difference between the latest non-ASPH 50/2 and the 50/1.4 other than the stop. In terms of the money, a late 50/2 non-asph is still the best value in a Leica lens.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jubbaa View Post
    No need to answer as I went with the lux in the end. Now my pair are both ASPH I think that it's a very good match and the extra speed over the Cron will come in handy.

Thanks for all your help.

James .

P.S. I am done buying for the year now , that is unless something else catches my eye , haha
    Wait, we are not yet one fourth of the way through the year. I am sure you will build up gas way before 2014. Now get to work, get that promotion and then come on back for more.

If you had no fast lens, i.e., 1.4 or faster, then that is a good decision. A good PPer can make any lenses fit his/her personal style and that's what it's all about-personal style.
    Last edited by algrove; 23rd March 2013 at 13:28.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

You almost certainly won't regret the 50 Lux; it's such a good lens.