The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 at 20 megapixels - super-resolution

bradhusick

I just posted this over in the l-camera-forum and thought this community woul be interested:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...uper-resolution-20-megapixels.html#post441640)

PhotoAcute has just released a new version of their software and for the first time they are supporting the M8 (I volunteered to do the shooting for them on which the profile is based). Among other amazing feats, the software is capable of combining multiple shots (even handheld) into one super-resolution (20 megapixel) image with much lower noise.

Here's a quick example, handheld at ISO 320. The first image is the full frame and the second has one 100% crop on the left and the super-resolution 100% crop on the right.

Take a look at the detail in the fabric and the postal scale, and the lack of noise in the shadow portions of the scale. This was made from six shots taken in continuous mode. The software takes about 2 minutes to create the file on my Mac Pro 3GHz. This profile was made with a 50mm Summilux ASPH and I am working on more lens profiles. This example was shot with a 35mm Summilux ASPH and used the 50mm profile with excellent results.

Full disclosure: I am not employed by PhotoAcute. They did give me a license for my work. Here is a link to their site:

www.photoacute.com

-Brad

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Brad. The software and your results look very interesting. However, it seems like this would be suitable for a narrow range of photographs assuming the subject must remain static for multiple exposures. My first thought for using this software was for landscapes, but leaves, clouds, etc. move around so I don't know how it would do. It may be worth downloading the trial and giving it a try.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks for posting this Brad. The software and your results look very interesting. However, it seems like this would be suitable for a narrow range of photographs assuming the subject must remain static for multiple exposures. My first thought for using this software was for landscapes, but leaves, clouds, etc. move around so I don't know how it would do. It may be worth downloading the trial and giving it a try.
The Photoacute site says that the software automatically clears moving objects.
It looks like an idea worth checking out.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Mark,

My thinking is that you could set the M8 to continuous and just squeeze off a few shots at once.

This technology looks pretty interesting. It reminds me of motion picture projection. A half-frame 35mm motion picture frame doesn't seem to have enough resolution to fill a screen two stories tall, but looks great in the theater. How? Due to our human persistance of vision combined with film moving at 24 frames per second, our brains combine all those seperate frames into a super hi-res image. Just like this software. Our brains just do it a lot faster than a 3Ghz Mac Pro. :)

The same is true for video also. If you've ever paused a DVD or Tivo, the sudden drop in quality is obvious.

I may have to check this out.

David