Site Sponsors

Thread: shooting monochrom at base iso

Post Thanks / Like

shooting monochrom at base iso

not sure if its from my film days, but is anyone here also stuck on trying to shoot at base iso?

even with the monochrom, i always strive to shoot at 320 to preserve max detail and limit noise even though high iso performance is great and the files can be pushed around a great deal.

is this a bad "good" habit?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: shooting monochrom at base iso

Hi!

I actually have enjoyed pushing the ISO limits...5K. 10K. It all has a different look to it. It's kind of like having several types of film available in one camera!

Keeping it at base ISO is like only loading your film camera with ADOX 50 or whatever. Try some high ISO you will like the look!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: shooting monochrom at base iso

Quote Originally Posted by gooomz View Post
    not sure if its from my film days, but is anyone here also stuck on trying to shoot at base iso?

even with the monochrom, i always strive to shoot at 320 to preserve max detail and limit noise even though high iso performance is great and the files can be pushed around a great deal.

is this a bad "good" habit?
    After <500 shots with the MM, here is my take-

Keep it at as low an ISO while dealing with high contrast light. Push it all the way in other circumstances (flat light with no distracting highlights). The High ISO "grain" from MM files are just amazing but it does need careful handling while exposing and developing- the latter I will have to experiment and practice with to get to a decent level.