The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summilux 50mm ASPH damaged or normal?

kevin2i

I found a 50mm/1.4 asph on one of those auction sites, but this looks like it has been mangled with a file:

Can someone post a picture of their 50mm focus ramp, or verify this is normal?
Thanks!

Knorp

I think it's normal, at least my copy too has this rough rim.
Noticed this on the 28'cron as well.

All the best.

emr

How is that possible? Isn't Leica (never even held a Leica lens in my hands) supposed to be superior workmanship? And that looks quite unfinished to me.

kevin2i

Thanks for the picture - I did look at my 24/2.8 asph and it was quite a bit smoother than my first post of the 50/1.4

Amazing such a precision mechanism (the rangefinder) is controlled by such a rough surface. Not much room for error at f1.4

I took a look at a few more lenses -- both the f/1 Nocti and 75/1.4 are more finished than the 50/1.4 ASPH but still show some machining/file marks.

Perhaps a rough surface prevents the wheel from sliding on the cam and creating a wear spot? Still looks a bit unfinished to me.

Shashin

The rangefinder cam is the inner smooth ring. This looks like a simple cutout so the cam does not hit the outer ring.

Knorp

The rangefinder cam is the inner smooth ring. This looks like a simple cutout so the cam does not hit the outer ring.
Exactly, I noticed that the longer focal lengths like 75, 90 and 135 are rather smooth, but it's the shorter lengths that apparently need this cut-out.
Kevin, no worries then - go out and start shooting :lecture:

All the best.

250swb

That ring on my Summilux is perfectly finished, but that looks like a Friday afternoon job to me.

Steve

Knorp

That ring on my Summilux is perfectly finished, but that looks like a Friday afternoon job to me.

Steve
Hi there Steve,

it's not the ring, but it's the cut-out that's rough.
It can be seen on my 28, 24 and 21 lenses as well.
Now - please don't tell me they're all Monday morning or Friday afternoon jobs ...
:wtf: :facesmack: :banghead:

Kind regards.

thrice

The cutout on my 50 lux asph is smooth.
Sorry for the rubbish pic, my RX100 doesn't have very good macro capabilities :p

Shall we start the bidding at $5000?

thrice

Out of curiosity I checked my 21/3.4 Super Elmar ASPH and my 35/1.4 ASPH FLE and both are smooth as my lux.

V

Vivek

It is just a miracle that such hacked off lenses work wonders in some hands! :)

250swb

Hi there Steve,

it's not the ring, but it's the cut-out that's rough.
It can be seen on my 28, 24 and 21 lenses as well.
Now - please don't tell me they're all Monday morning or Friday afternoon jobs ...
:wtf: :facesmack: :banghead:

Kind regards.
Lets not get caught up in pointless corrections, I did mean that area of the ring with the cut out in it :rolleyes: FWIW all my of eight my modern era Leica lenses have a good finish in this area, so a rough finish can hardly be called normal.

Steve

Knorp

Lets not get caught up in pointless corrections, I did mean that area of the ring with the cut out in it :rolleyes: FWIW all my of eight my modern era Leica lenses have a good finish in this area, so a rough finish can hardly be called normal.

Steve
Lucky you, Steve