The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

if you had no glass and were starting fresh...

Hacker

I got the D700 to supplement the M8.2 in the Macro, tele and super wide area. I used the Canon 5D before with all the L lenses, but did not like the plastic look and while the primes were good, they tend to exhibit CA.

The D700 would come in handy as the Leica primes will be what I use mainly, and Nikon has some really outstanding zooms if I need convenience and flexibility. And the D700 now takes Leica R lenses too (www.leitax.com).

monza

I converted a 50/2 Summicron-R for my D700...very happy with the quality of the bayonet and easy to do the swap.

woodyspedden

My thoughts:

Leica M8 (M8.2 whatever!) and CV 12, Leica 35 IV cron, Leica 50 1.4 Pre-Asph, Konica Hexanon 50 1.2, or if you have the big bucks the Noctilux, and the 75 Lux. By now you have probably figured out that I love the looks of the older and faster lenses. I appreciate the super sharp aspheres but it just doesn't jiggle me the way the pre-asphs do.

Woody

Hacker

I converted a 50/2 Summicron-R for my D700...very happy with the quality of the bayonet and easy to do the swap.
I've ordered two mounts, one for the 80mm and the other for the 100mm APO. I was still considering the Canon 5D Mark II because of the ability to use third-party lenses. *phew*

C

Cancelledreality

I would go for the M8, 28/2, 50/1.4 asph, 90/2 apo. I like sharp :)

M

meilicke

What about a u43 plus K mount adaptor so you can use your 77 and 43 ltds? Best of all worlds - small u43 plus auto focus on the k20d. The price is relatively low so you can change your mind later without much guilt.

It seems the u43 can get you into all kinds of trouble with groovy lenses to try. :D

I am in a similar boat, but would likely need to sell my 31 and 77 ltds to fund the G1, converters, lenses, etc. Not sure I want to go there - I just love those limiteds...

K

K3N

I got the D700 to supplement the M8.2 in the Macro, tele and super wide area. I used the Canon 5D before with all the L lenses, but did not like the plastic look and while the primes were good, they tend to exhibit CA.

The D700 would come in handy as the Leica primes will be what I use mainly, and Nikon has some really outstanding zooms if I need convenience and flexibility. And the D700 now takes Leica R lenses too (www.leitax.com).
Thanks, new information for me. Any idea if the Leica 28-90mm Vario-Elmarit can be converted to work on the Nikon D700 ?

nostatic

What about a u43 plus K mount adaptor so you can use your 77 and 43 ltds? Best of all worlds - small u43 plus auto focus on the k20d. The price is relatively low so you can change your mind later without much guilt.

It seems the u43 can get you into all kinds of trouble with groovy lenses to try. :D

I am in a similar boat, but would likely need to sell my 31 and 77 ltds to fund the G1, converters, lenses, etc. Not sure I want to go there - I just love those limiteds...
Yeah, the ltds are sweet. Kind of a poor man's Leica. Revisiting this thread after a month or so I've cycled through a couple of options and am back where I started. I have grown to love the 43/1.9ltd I picked up as well, but actually didn't bond with the 31ltd. I also tried a 21ltd but didn't really "feel" that FOV. And while a 55-300 zoom was fun, it just isn't what I see.

I did get the g/f a G1 with both zooms. It is an amazing little camera and she loves it. I might consider a G2, but I'm not quite feeling it. I did pull the DL4 back out and was amazed yet again by what I get and that sends me back down into a Leica shame spiral :p

The Sony was nice as well, but with the 24-70 is not a small setup. Much larger than the K20d with 43/1.9 mounted. I still keep coming back to these damn M8 combinations, especially now with the used prices. I blame that beautiful German glass and this forum....

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

If I were starting again I would get an M8 or M8.2 and 35 Summicron ASPH. When I first got this camera I also ordered a CV15 and 75 Summicron APO ASPH which are remarkable lenses but I never use them.

douglasf13

I've gone with the A900 and the Zeiss', plus a hasselblad lens to Sony mount adapter. As Jono has said before, this thing feels like a camera more than a computer, and the Zeiss' are wonderful. The viewfinder is a sight to behold. I couldn't be happier.

J

jeff stevens

I would have to say the A900 or M8. I don't even have any Zeiss glass for the A900, but I'm blown away by it. It's only real short coming imho, is the auto ISO, or just the fact that I can't use it in manual exposure.