The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tri Elmar price difference question

algrove

Could someone be so kind to explain the 2.5x price difference between these two tri-elmars listed on ebay by the same seller:

Chrome going for $10.8k:

Leica Tri Elmar M 4 28 35 50 ASPH E55 Chrome 11894 3812147 Mint Box | eBay

Plastic going for $4.2k:

Leica Tri Elmar M 4 28 35 50mm E55 Aspherical 2415 | eBay

I don't think there is $6k in the value of metal v.s. plastic.

Thank you for any insight.

dmabry2010
What do you mean by plastic? I have a MATE, but it is far from plastic.

Actually the the barrel is mainly made of brass for the chrome plated version and of aluminium for the black anodized one.

dmabry2010

Thanks for the answer.

Plastic was the wrong describer. I was trying to differentiate the two colors.

dmabry2010

jonoslack

More to the point.
These are both E55 version 1 lenses. The E49 version 2 lens is really a much better bet if you can find one.
Personally, I've had two copies, both of which were rather a disappointment. unlike the WATE, which is such a lovely lens.
all the best

weinschela

Subscriber Member
More to the point.
These are both E55 version 1 lenses. The E49 version 2 lens is really a much better bet if you can find one.
Personally, I've had two copies, both of which were rather a disappointment. unlike the WATE, which is such a lovely lens.
all the best
I've had two E49 MATE's and both were excellent. Sold one to fund my M9 purchase, but regretted it almost immediately and bought one back recently.
The WATE and the MATE and a 90 make a really good travel kit; throw in a 35 Summilux for low light if you'd like.

ashwinrao1

I have had 1 E55 MATE. The price difference has to do with "Chrome" vs "black" coloring, and relative rarity. I enjoyed the E55 MATE and did a review on it a few years back, which is easy to google....I ended up selling it, as I almost invariably would chose a prime over an f/4 step "zoom". The E55 version tends to flare and lower contrast at 28 mm, and is a fine performer at 35 and 50 mm. It has a nice signature, but is costly. Mechanical errors can result in incorrect frame line selection, and the lens is a bit finicky, and hard to repair, should it go down....

algrove

I have the E49 version in plastic (sorry I mean black) and it is a very good lens and Leica 6 bit coded it for the previous owner.

The chrome versions are heavier than the plastic versions (sorry again I mean black anodized aluminum).

jonoslack

I have the E49 version in plastic (sorry I mean black) and it is a very good lens and Leica 6 bit coded it for the previous owner.

The chrome versions are heavier than the plastic versions (sorry again I mean black anodized aluminum).
Both my E49 versions were plastic - the first better than the second, but somehow I couldn't love either!