Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tri Elmar price difference question

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tri Elmar price difference question

    Could someone be so kind to explain the 2.5x price difference between these two tri-elmars listed on ebay by the same seller:

    Chrome going for $10.8k:

    Leica Tri Elmar M 4 28 35 50 ASPH E55 Chrome 11894 3812147 Mint Box | eBay

    Plastic going for $4.2k:

    Leica Tri Elmar M 4 28 35 50mm E55 Aspherical 2415 | eBay

    I don't think there is $6k in the value of metal v.s. plastic.

    Thank you for any insight.

    dmabry2010

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    Special edition of 500, as noted at this Tamarkin auction sale.

    Jeff

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    Quote Originally Posted by dmabry2010 View Post
    Could someone be so kind to explain the 2.5x price difference between these two tri-elmars listed on ebay by the same seller:

    Chrome going for $10.8k:

    Leica Tri Elmar M 4 28 35 50 ASPH E55 Chrome 11894 3812147 Mint Box | eBay

    Plastic going for $4.2k:

    Leica Tri Elmar M 4 28 35 50mm E55 Aspherical 2415 | eBay

    I don't think there is $6k in the value of metal v.s. plastic.

    Thank you for any insight.

    dmabry2010
    What do you mean by plastic? I have a MATE, but it is far from plastic.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    Actually the the barrel is mainly made of brass for the chrome plated version and of aluminium for the black anodized one.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    Thanks for the answer.

    Plastic was the wrong describer. I was trying to differentiate the two colors.

    dmabry2010

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    More to the point.
    These are both E55 version 1 lenses. The E49 version 2 lens is really a much better bet if you can find one.
    Personally, I've had two copies, both of which were rather a disappointment. unlike the WATE, which is such a lovely lens.
    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member weinschela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York suburb
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    More to the point.
    These are both E55 version 1 lenses. The E49 version 2 lens is really a much better bet if you can find one.
    Personally, I've had two copies, both of which were rather a disappointment. unlike the WATE, which is such a lovely lens.
    all the best
    I've had two E49 MATE's and both were excellent. Sold one to fund my M9 purchase, but regretted it almost immediately and bought one back recently.
    The WATE and the MATE and a 90 make a really good travel kit; throw in a 35 Summilux for low light if you'd like.
    Alan

    Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    I have had 1 E55 MATE. The price difference has to do with "Chrome" vs "black" coloring, and relative rarity. I enjoyed the E55 MATE and did a review on it a few years back, which is easy to google....I ended up selling it, as I almost invariably would chose a prime over an f/4 step "zoom". The E55 version tends to flare and lower contrast at 28 mm, and is a fine performer at 35 and 50 mm. It has a nice signature, but is costly. Mechanical errors can result in incorrect frame line selection, and the lens is a bit finicky, and hard to repair, should it go down....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    I have the E49 version in plastic (sorry I mean black) and it is a very good lens and Leica 6 bit coded it for the previous owner.

    The chrome versions are heavier than the plastic versions (sorry again I mean black anodized aluminum).

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I have the E49 version in plastic (sorry I mean black) and it is a very good lens and Leica 6 bit coded it for the previous owner.

    The chrome versions are heavier than the plastic versions (sorry again I mean black anodized aluminum).
    Both my E49 versions were plastic - the first better than the second, but somehow I couldn't love either!

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Tri Elmar price difference question

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Both my E49 versions were plastic - the first better than the second, but somehow I couldn't love either!
    You should have tried a black anodized version as it might have been better.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •