The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Faster M Lenses slowing sales?

gooomz

Is the new high iso capability of the MM and "M" slowing down the sales of Noct/Lux lenses and increasing the demand for smaller lighter, better performing elmar/cron lenses?

sure feels that way but not sure.

sven

I do not own the M..... Yet .....but i have used it enough. In my opinion, it has at most approximately 1 to 1.5 stop advantage over M9. It does not make any sense to negate this advantage by using slow lenses. I am not sure if there is really any slow in sales of fast lens but only Leica can verify this.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Is the new high iso capability of the MM and "M" slowing down the sales of Noct/Lux lenses and increasing the demand for smaller lighter, better performing elmar/cron lenses?

Not sure that the sense that slower lenses are better performing holds up when one looks at the present lineup of Leica lenses...many, of which I am one, prefer the more gentle gradations and falloff of the slower lenses.

I do think that overall the slowing of sales is a temporary indication that those who had the resources bought and now are sitting on the sidelines...the current economic contraction has most re-evaluating their needs and wants.

Great time for the buyer....

Bob

Godfrey

What indication is there that sales of $3000 to $10,000 fast Leica lenses has slow down? My dealer doesn't seem to think there's been any slow down in sales of new Leica lenses at all - he can still just barely keep any in stock.

Duane Pandorf

Wow, a lot in this one sentence. For one, define better performing elmar/cron compared to....the latest 50mm Summilux ASPH or even the Noctilux? These lenses perform on par with the Summicron and Summarit when shot at the same apertures.

In my opinion the reason to have a fast lens is not due to ISO considerations but for the DOF.

Just received the new M and so far I see no reason to give up the fast glass. Being able to shoot up to ISO 6400 is great, but being able to do so @ f/0.95 just means more possibilities, shooting stuff that I was have left the M in the bag before (like dimly lit social situations).

Paratom

I admit that these days I also use some slower lenses more frequently, but it has not so much to do with high iso capability of the MM but more with size of lenses and that super shallow DOF is a nice effect but often what I can get with 1 stop "slower" lenses - for example 50 Summicron, 90 Elmarit is enough shallow DOF for me at the moment. But I had a time when was all over superthin shallow DOF and some people have shown very nice images with this effect.
So in summary I don't think that the sales of high speed Leica lenses will frop.

The nice thing with many Leica lenses is that fully open they are already very very good.
Many Canikon lenses one better stops down at least 1/2 stop to get acceptable IQ. That's why I find a Summicron 50mm nearly as good for low light like the 50/1.2 for Canon or the 50/1.4 Nikon.
So no- I don't thing sales of fast lenses will drop, but maybe the f2/f2.8 lenses have been underrated a bit for some years which might change these days.
And the nice thing to know is that one doesn't necessarly "NEED" f.95 or f1.4 lenses - a used Summicron or a Summarit or Elmarit are very good lenses as well, and they are still fast compared to f2.8 zooms.

I also own some of the superfast lenses-but see it as a luxury option.

jubbaa

I just picked up a brand new 50mm Lux ASPH from a dealer for cheaper than some are askinging for used on the private market :)

algrove

I find it interesting that I am hearing many dealers are discounting M lenses and in particular the 50/1.4. Do they have to do this to keep sales going? I wonder if many of these discounting dealers are in Asia?

Paratom

I find it interesting that I am hearing many dealers are discounting M lenses and in particular the 50/1.4. Do they have to do this to keep sales going? I wonder if many of these discounting dealers are in Asia?
Maybe not dealers discounting that much but more some people selling used lenses overpriced to impatient people because delivery times for some lenses are still long.
I waited over 1 year for a 75/2.0 some time ago.

photomeme

There is currently a lens glut at the dealers.

Even harder to find lenses, like the 90mm f/2 summicron, are pretty easy to get right now, almost immediately.

Weakest resale market in maybe 3 years.

Can't comment on supply vs. demand causation.

There are a couple of exceptions/

algrove

Maybe not dealers discounting that much but more some people selling used lenses overpriced to impatient people because delivery times for some lenses are still long.
I waited over 1 year for a 75/2.0 some time ago.
Oh, dealers ARE DEFINITELY discounting lenses. In Asia 15% less than US MSRP is easy to get right now. I also waited over a year for the 75/2.0 and was worth every day.

The dealer near me has a full complement of lenses for the first time in years, He even had 3 Noctilux 2 weeks ago.

V

Vivek

I am seriously thinking of making a visit to HK to purchase a few lenses. Way cheaper than buying used, including the travel costs.

jubbaa

Got my lux 50mm from a dealer in Hong Kong , discounted :)

Oh, dealers ARE DEFINITELY discounting lenses. In Asia 15% less than US MSRP is easy to get right now. I also waited over a year for the 75/2.0 and was worth every day.

The dealer near me has a full complement of lenses for the first time in years, He even had 3 Noctilux 2 weeks ago.