The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommended 28mm Lens for Landscape?

Gary Clennan

Hi all. I will likely be looking for a new 28mm lens which will be used primarily for landscape work - typically stopped down a fair bit. A secondary consideration is fairly decent performance when used wide open. Having said that, landscape is my primary use. I am not looking to blow the bank on this one so would likely end up with a non-Leica brand lens. What are some of the proven performers in this focal length? Zeiss? Konica?

back alley

i'd get a 24/25 for landscape...28 seems too lukewarm for great landscape images.
on the cheap but still good quality, i'd go for a cv 25/4 lens...easily handheld but sharp enough to warrant putting on a tripod as well.

Gary Clennan

Yeah - I thought about the 25mm FL but am unsure. I have a 21mm and 35mm so thought I would split the difference. I heard the ZM25 is a real good lens.

Shashin

Why are you looking for a 28mm? What are your other two lenses not capable of? Do you do stitched panos? Stitching frames can be better than wider lenses.

Gary Clennan

Thanks Shashin. I am looking for a 28 (or 25) to fill the gap between 21 and 35. :) I do a lot of landscape shooting and semi-precise framing is often required for the type of work I do. I have done a lot of stitched pano's but I would rather take a single shot and save me the extra processing time and effort.

CVickery

Hi Gary,
What body are you shooting with? I'm very happy with the ZM25 on my M9 and quite liked it when I owned an M8, but the M8 took a 21mm before it seemed particularly wide.

algrove

Thanks Shashin. I am looking for a 28 (or 25) to fill the gap between 21 and 35. :) I do a lot of landscape shooting and semi-precise framing is often required for the type of work I do. I have done a lot of stitched pano's but I would rather take a single shot and save me the extra processing time and effort.
Gary, Gary, Gary-This sounds like the atypical symptom of GAS.

I can understand your wanting a lens to "do it right", but in the end what do people look at-the entire image/scene and most do not care if it had been stitched or a single shot.

Believe me most of us could save TONS of money if we just stitched images more often than carrying around $5-10k or more in WA lenses for that "get it in one frame" shot. In the long run PS is cheaper even though we allude ourselves into thinking that Leica glass might cost us nearly nothing by the time we are ready to sell it. Time for stitching is 5 minutes and it saves you $3k or more by using it and if you PP your shots you know what's another 5 minutes to get it really right. Anyway many landscape pros stitch with vertical WA shots which gives both foreground and background in each image so with that approach no WA lens will cover the entire scene anyway.

Look at all the money tied up in glass-it's GAS!

Gary Clennan

Hi Gary,
What body are you shooting with? I'm very happy with the ZM25 on my M9 and quite liked it when I owned an M8, but the M8 took a 21mm before it seemed particularly wide.
Thanks Cal. I am currently with the M8 but will have an M9 shortly....

Gary Clennan

Yes, could very well be GAS but that's really not a concern to me. Stitching can be a problem for non landscape shots. I could do stitching for landscapes but I honestly probably would not bother. Not even to save $1000 or so... Why would most people consider a 35mm when they could simply stitch a few 50mm frames? Stitching will also change the perspective of the shot as it is with a different FL. It will be close but not the same.... To each their own I suppose.

Gary, Gary, Gary-This sounds like the atypical symptom of GAS.

I can understand your wanting a lens to "do it right", but in the end what do people look at-the entire image/scene and most do not care if it had been stitched or a single shot.

Believe me most of us could save TONS of money if we just stitched images more often than carrying around $5-10k or more in WA lenses for that "get it in one frame" shot. In the long run PS is cheaper even though we allude ourselves into thinking that Leica glass might cost us nearly nothing by the time we are ready to sell it. Time for stitching is 5 minutes and it saves you $3k or more by using it and if you PP your shots you know what's another 5 minutes to get it really right. Anyway many landscape pros stitch with vertical WA shots which gives both foreground and background in each image so with that approach no WA lens will cover the entire scene anyway.

Look at all the money tied up in glass-it's GAS!

CVickery

Thanks Cal. I am currently with the M8 but will have an M9 shortly....
I thought you had had the M8, congrats on the M9. I'm glad I made the move.

The M8 works nicely with the ZM25 since it includes the 24mm framelines. The widest framlines on the M9 are the 28mm but it doesn't take too much practice use the slightly wider ZM25. That being said, there is a degree of inaccurate framing that will happen and may be a concern for you. You can move to an external viewfinder but personally I didn't care for them.

algrove

Yes, could very well be GAS but that's really not a concern to me. Stitching can be a problem for non landscape shots. I could do stitching for landscapes but I honestly probably would not bother. Not even to save $1000 or so... Why would most people consider a 35mm when they could simply stitch a few 50mm frames? Stitching will also change the perspective of the shot as it is with a different FL. It will be close but not the same.... To each their own I suppose.
Now you confuse me as your opening post mentioned the lens would be "primarily for landscape" work". Then you say above that stitching can be a problem for non landscape shots. And now you bring in 50's and 35's for your argument for getting a 28 when you already own a 21. Any negatives you throw it this subject, such as perspective control can be corrected in PS or LR for WA lenses. I can try and help when the target is clear, but once it becomes a moving target I give up.

I guess you already made your mind up before asking for advice.

Gary Clennan

Settle down agrove - try not to lose sleep over this. I was clear on what I needed. WRT to stitching, I was talking about perspective and not distortion. I hope I don't have to explain this concept to you.... I am buying a 25 or 28 - just looking for advice on good performing lenses.

Thanks ced and Cal for your advice - much appreciated.

John Black

If you've got a M9 on the way, I'd sit tight until having used the 21mm and 35mm on the M9 for awhile to see how those lenses work out first.

edwardkaraa

The ZM 25 is just a touch wider than the 28. You can use the 28 frame lines and mentally add a bit more, though I personally use the Zeiss finder which is absolutely stunning. The ZM is the most perfect Zeiss wide angle. A quick look at the MTF tells you the whole story. Add to that very nice 3D rendering at close range and almost no distortion and CA.

The ZM 28 is less perfect for landscapes and has field curvature that can affect the corners but the field curvature produces spectacular results at close range.

I would choose the 25 for landscapes and reportage, while the 28 is more suitable for reportage only.

Gary Clennan

Thanks Edward! I almost bought the ZM25 a year ago and in hindsight, I probably should have. It seems to be a stellar performer and may be a good option for me.

seakayaker

If you do look at the 28mm, I would recommend that you take a look at the Voigtlander 28/1.9 LTM. I fantastic lens for capturing detail and with the LTM to M adaptor works wonderfully on my M9 and M film cameras. You can only find them used but they usually are affordable when compared to the Leica and Zeiss options.

Good luck with your decision.