The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shooting leica lens w/ hoods off

gooomz

anyone here shooting there 21/24/28/35mm m lenses without their lens hoods on?

or is lens flare and front element damage too much of a risk?

so nice and small without hoods but i dont want to ooops my front element $$.

edwardkaraa

I don't use any Leica lenses, but I always shoot my ZM lenses without hoods. They all have Zeiss uv filters fitted for protection though. I rarely worry about flare since T* coatings are very flare resistant, and rangefinders usually don't like hoods so much as they block the VF.

Godfrey

I've been using lens hoods consistently on all my lenses since the early 1980s, see no reason to stop now. They improve lens performance by reducing flare and help protect the lens from finger prints and incidental bumps and bashes.

For the small inconvenience of a little bit more bulk, they're worth it to me.

G

thrice

I shoot my 35 lux fle without a hood, and occasionally my 21/3.4 super-elmar without a hood. I'm part of the silly minority that use UV filters all the time though.

Paratom

On most Leica lenses I almost allways use the hoods. The hoods are not that big anyways and they also help to protect the front glass element.
The only one I use without hood is the 35 und 50 Summarits and it works very well that way, no flar eproblem and nice and small.

Paratom

I shoot my 35 lux fle without a hood, and occasionally my 21/3.4 super-elmar without a hood. I'm part of the silly minority that use UV filters all the time though.
I have often wondered how much (bad) influence UV-filters have in real world shooting? Have you ever compared with vs without?

seakayaker

I don't understand the question. What do you mean?
. . . . . the Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 has a built in hood, as well as the Summicron-M 50mm f2, Summicron-M 75mm f2, Elmarit-M 90mm f2.8, Summicron-M 90mm f2, and 135mm f/3.4 APO Telyt M,

perhaps the question is: 'Do you use the hood that is on the lens or not?'

airfrogusmc

I use my hood all the time (35 lux fle & Leica MM). It keeps a lot of unwanted stray light from hitting the front element which even in low light can effect contrast. I only use filters for effect.

Also all of my Canon lenses 24L, 35L, 85L and 200 2L always have the hood on when I'm shooting.

airfrogusmc

anyone here shooting there 21/24/28/35mm m lenses without their lens hoods on?

or is lens flare and front element damage too much of a risk?

so nice and small without hoods but i dont want to ooops my front element $$.
I dont think its all the much of a size issue for the 35 lux and an easy way to keep most unwanted stray light from effecting the image.

Paratom

. . . . . the Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 has a built in hood, as well as the Summicron-M 50mm f2, Summicron-M 75mm f2, Elmarit-M 90mm f2.8, Summicron-M 90mm f2, and 135mm f/3.4 APO Telyt M,

perhaps the question is: 'Do you use the hood that is on the lens or not?'
Ok, yes I do nearly allways use the built in hods when I use one of those lenses.I think its a very nice design, even though for protection the external hoods may be sturdier and also easier to replace-just in case.

StephenPatterson

I shoot with the hoods as they are small and don't get in the way. I also use UV filters for lens protection during the day, but take them off when shooting at night as I find a noticeable increase in internal reflections after dark. Of course it's possible to clone these out in post, but I just prefer to not have the extra workflow.

250swb

I use a filter on my lenses because I like to just put them back in the bag quickly, sometimes one on top of another, but I do use the rear lens cap. A hood is important even if it just keeps the rain off and stops the lens knocking against things. Hoods are even more essential indoors where lights are lower (than the sun) and often pointing towards the camera at a variety of angles.

Given the price of cheap metal hoods on Ebay there isn't much excuse not to have one for each lens, but I like the built in hoods of the Summicron and Summilux and they work well because they match the exact coverage of the lens.

Steve