The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica have increased the Upgrade prices

M

marknorton

Those of you who've had your camera upgraded already can experience that warm glow of a little schadenfreude.

Turns out Leica have just increased the cost of the M8 upgrades so that the full set now costs €2000, up from €1400 and all the other prices increase similarly.

That €2000 is more than the part exchange value of the unmodified M8...

ecliffordsmith

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the information. Wow, I was recently thinking of going for the upgrade after initially being not too bothered by the feature set but when most people were very happy post upgrade I was considering. That is one less to think about for me now anyway.

That is quite a hefty increase!

jlm

Workshop Member
i got a message today from Leica NJ:

"We thank you for contacting us regarding the upgrade(s) for your M8. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have fallen behind on our original schedule. We regret this predicament but we believe you would appreciate one of the reasons for the delay is that our technicians, apart from doing the upgrades are also cleaning and checking the cameras to ensure that your M8 continues to perform outstandingly.
Leica Camera Inc. has now taken additional steps to remedy the situation. We will begin
contacting customers again after the holidays to inform you when you should send your M8 to our facility in Allendale, NJ."

they have my patience since they already completed my upgrade a month ago.

jm

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I guess it's one way of suppressing M8 upgrades and resistance to an M8.2 upgrade purchase.

I think that the lunatics are running that assylum ....

robsteve

Subscriber
Mark:

When I looked into the upgrade prices a few months back, it was cheaper to have it done by Solms than in the USA because of the weak Euro and the fact the price in Euros included VAT. They just may have been trying to equalize the prices, though the Euro just jumped today.

Robert

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I don't think so, Robert, as they upped the prices in Euros.
I seems they are trying to get rid of the last hare-brained Lee scheme by pricing it prohibitively. It does not do them any good on the I-love-Leica scale though, dropped about45 points on a scale of 100 I would guess.

M

matmcdermott

FWIW, the upgrade prices haven't been increased in the US.

robsteve

Subscriber
I don't think so, Robert, as they upped the prices in Euros.
I seems they are trying to get rid of the last hare-brained Lee scheme by pricing it prohibitively. It does not do them any good on the I-love-Leica scale though, dropped about45 points on a scale of 100 I would guess.
I guess what I was saying is they are getting the Europe prices in line with the other products. More expensive in Europe than the USA :)

BTW, I am in Canada, so it crosses an international border either way. When I priced the upgrades a few months back, it was significantly cheaper in Solms.

What is the difference now? What is VAT in Germany? The Euro is currently 1.37 USD.

Robert

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rob

When they first discussed the upgrades, they indicated that the prices in euros would not be adjusted for VAT differences. Just guessing but they probably concluded that its just too much work on repairs.

Roger

MrSlezak

I contacted Leica about an upgrade back in early Sept and was told to plan on sending my camera around mid-Nov. That date has come and passed, so I started exchanging email with Leica about when I should be ready to box things up and I now have a target date in mid-Mar. I took the opportunity to ask if the price for my upgrade– shutter and rangefinder mask – had risen and was told it continues to be $1,275.00, not including shipping and/or taxes..

I did not enquire if this was across all upgrades, or just the upgrades that were previously scheduled.

scott kirkpatrick

Update on Solms Upgrade prices

Several who post on the LUF board have now confirmed that the increase in upgrade prices at Solms only goes into effect January 1. Solms asks you to call or email (phone is simpler) and make a booking to have the upgrade done in a particular week. They are booking upgrades 12 or more weeks into 2009, but the current price applies if the booking is made before January 1.

scott

M

marknorton

I confirm that, I've booked my two in, Week 12. It's clear that if you are at all minded to get your M8 updated, do it now. I think we can then be reasonably certain that, the odd firmware fix aside, this is it for the M8 until at least Photokina 2010 when there might be something new.

M

marknorton

Just a personal opinion of course but I think Leica have got their hands full with bringing the S2 to market - August 2009 apparently - and doing something about the R10. I'd be really surprised if they announced an M9 before Photokina 2010 - just 21 months away.

jonoslack

Thanks for the information on this.
I've just booked my second one in for some of the upgrade . . . I'm keeping the fast, noisy shutter on this one and just getting the framelines/lcd/vulcanite.

Old prices - due week 12 (which suits me fine, it's just about when the warranty runs out).

I agree with Mark about an M9 as well - Leica must have their hands very full with the S2 and the R10, and I doubt whether they will be able to do a full frame sensor for some time yet. I reckon it's more likely to be 2011 than 2010.

TimWright

I reckon it's more likely to be 2011 than 2010.
I seriously wonder if Leica will still be around by then. I hope so but if they don't get their act together. I have head quite a bit of talk around of people selling off their stuff because they think Leica will go under and their M's, lenses etc will drop in value.