Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How many of the M9 shooters are skipping M240

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many of the M9 shooters are skipping M240

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    In the beginning they are often hard to get working consistently or require trips back to Solms to mate well with your existing gear.
    Your overall post is wise and pragmatic IMO. Just one small clarification, that you may already intend, and that is that Leica Service doesn't calibrate lenses or cameras to mate with each other as their standard practice. Rather, each is calibrated to an independent standard. Some have a misconception about this because Leica often requests that all the gear be sent in, but that's because the user may not know the exact issue, and adjusting everything is easier and safer. [Of course, one may also request special adjustments, but that's not the norm.] Digital tolerances are much tighter than film and things get out of whack, sometimes even after adjustment.

Apologies if you already understand this to be the case. In any event, it doesn't change your underlying premise that it's a royal PITA, and takes up a lot of time and effort to get things sorted out.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Jeff, you are probably right! I am on their professional service, so I get the option to send whatever I like back in twice a year. If you buy a new lens or camera, they will adjust your equipment so that it works well together. But it is never really practical to send everything in, so I generally have just sent in the cameras and lenses that work well together, and the (usually new) one that does not. Having done that I have gotten back equipment that works brilliantly. They have never charged me for this (don't know if it is standard practice with the new gear, or if it is a courtesy for their professional service), but it has taken a few weeks at least round trip. The gear itself has seldom been longer than a week or 10 days at the factory, but the shipping to and fro takes time for Iceland...even when express carriers are used, they usually take at least 4-5 days with customs and all, as the shipping is never direct...it always has to go to London or Copenhagen first, and then on to Frankfurt and then Solms.
    Edit: I should also note that their customer service and behavior about this sort of thing has been absolutely fantastic, and they have earned me as a lifetime customer because of it. I have had great difficulties getting some other camera companies to deal with issues, but with Leica there has never been a question. If something is not working for me, they have taken it in, and either repaired or replaced it, with no denials or difficulties. They have often gone beyond the norm as well, such as doing a full CLA as a courtesy and not charging for it, or repairing issues that I have not even noticed.
    For example, I once sent in my M9 which developed a senor line after a few months of ownership. They replaced the CCD entirely, rather than subtracting the line in firmware. They also readjusted the rangefinder. But what truly impressed me was that the "I" in Leica on the back of the camera had been worn away. It was the only letter that was missing any paint, as was very subtle...only a millimeter wide. I did not mention anything about it, but when I got the camera back, the camera had had the missing letter filled in. To me, this is a sign that they really care. They went over that camera with a fine-toothed comb, not just to address the issue I had with it, but to really determine if it was perfect. I have not experienced that level of service before, and it was one of the things that made me confident to spend the money on the S2 -- I felt like they had the service level to care for something that expensive.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was primarily interested in the M240 for it's new video capability however it is not yet ready for prime time. This review by Johnny Behiri sums it up:

Leica’s first full frame HDSLR – M240 video capable? cinema5D

Post Thanks / Like

Only one thing keeps me from the M240: lack of funds.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had to make a final decision today I'd skip the M240. My next M will be an MM plain and simple. The jury is still out on the M240 and while I've seen some promise in some pictures the percentage of images that just "grab you" doesn't match the M9 at the same stage. That being said the MM went through a similar process and people needed time to "learn it" so this is not an utter indictment on the M240. It's just #3 on the list of Leica camera's I want behind the MM (which I can afford) and the S system (which I'd be able to afford if I played the lottery and got lucky... or sold all of my camera equipment for.)
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My order is in - I want one sometime late next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am skipping, in fact bought a new M9P (one of the last made) earlier this year and very happy about it. But I also have an S2 that satisfies my lust for more resolution and ultimate quality, when I don't mind the size and weight. Having said that, I still haven't seen any really impressive photos anywhere, taken with the M240 (maybe I am not looking well enough but I remember a lot of memorable photos taken with the M9 since its launch, including on LFI, this forum, books, magazines).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be skipping, if the M9 is good for a 150,000 acquisitions then I will be keeping it around for awhile longer, most likely much longer.

I am happy with the camera and the output.

If I was going to spend the money it would be for the Monochrome, and I have not completely got my head wrapped around spending 8K for another camera.

Time and patience, ya that's it, time and patience.

Post Thanks / Like

Just buy an M and use it as an MM until color issues are not fixed ;-)
    Had the chance to make a few pictures with both and to print them, the MM performs better even upscaled 150% and the greys transitions are very sweet but at very, very close inspection only. Checked with 2 other photographers that came to the same conclusion: M is cheaper, has way better specs and is almost as good for B&W, color in option, so forget about the MM.
    I'm trying, don't know if I'll succeed..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Had the chance to make a few pictures with both and to print them, the MM performs better even upscaled 150% and the greys transitions are very sweet but at very, very close inspection only. Checked with 2 other photographers that came to the same conclusion: M is cheaper, has way better specs and is almost as good for B&W, color in option, so forget about the MM.
    How's that M240 at ISO 5,000 or 6,400? Oh, wait ... sorry.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have heard that meter long prints from the old M8.

That line is a bit dated.

Post Thanks / Like

workflow totally different. IF you like color sliders, go for the M. For me, the simplicity of the MM workflow, RAW histogram, and other improvments are refreshing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was completely in for buying the M - preordered last September when it was introduced. I had skipped the M9 as I had had so many issues with the M8.

When the M became available this year I continued to read lot of reviews and also handled one for a while. The result was that I really liked the new framing in classic RF mode but I disliked most of the other "improvements" like color, speed of electronics for LV, handling of video, separate EVF on top (why can Fuji build an excellent hybrid VF), EVF which is already outdated (1.4MP and far too slow refresh rate - look at Olympus what they achieve), miserable implementation of video mode overall et altera ....

So I finally cancelled my order, almost at the time when I got my M delivered!

Paying €6200.- for this for me inferior implementation is just not what I am gonna do! Rather wait for the next incarnation of M and keep happily shooting with my new XPro1 and excellent lenses for all my RF work. And spend my money meanwhile in lenses for X mount and Nikon (D800E) which is another VERY SATISFYING camera - again for much less money.

What I also dislike about Leica in general is their worldwide boutique approach - called Leica Stores. I still consider myself as a photographer and I do NOT NEED all that fancy garbage around, which you get offered in those stores and finally you pay the higher price for as well! This just makes Leica more a kind of fashion accessory but does not contribute much for the real photographers needs IMHO.
    Last edited by ptomsu; 8th May 2013 at 18:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Stewart, I enjoyed your customer service story. You could say Leica crossed their T's and dotted their I's in a sense, huh? :-) The I's, painted, get it? ok, I'm reaching a little bit, since you didn't really say they dotted the i, but I thought the analogy was to similar to pass up...

ptomsu, I wouldn't know about boutique stores, UPS and Fed Ex look the same to me, they haven't offered me a Latte' yet either. (you know when they deliver my Leica lenses)...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think someone pointed out above that the presumption that because you have an M9, you're going to get an M, unless you 'skip" it is bizarre. One isn't required to "upgrade", as much as our consumption based ethos demands it (confession: I got all of the retina Apple products and an iPad Mini, as soon as they came out ). Get it if you want it (and can afford it); don't get it if you're happy with the gear you have. Comparing the M to an MM, M9, M8, D800, or a Kodak Brownie is interesting, and just that. The new technology and capabilities won't make you a better photographer, but they might stimulate your creativity, and allow you (as Kristian Dowling noted) to expand your repertoire of artistic technique...It's also fun getting new stuff.

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why bother with the new M?

Attachment 72661 Double click for enlargement.

SO WE CAN USE OUR R LENSES, that's why.
    Last edited by algrove; 5th September 2013 at 09:08.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Corning ware just released a new set of coffee cups. I am not sure if I should ditch my old coffee cups or skip this set and wait for the next. I really don't like the color of the new cups as much as the ones I have now. I also understand the cups can break if dropped from a ten-story building where my current cups can survive a twelve-story plunge.

I think the deal breaker is that I don't like the new packaging and it is now available in Walmart. I even saw Kim Kardashian drinking from the new mugs--Corning is just becoming celebrity accessories rather than serious drinking ware--I hate the snobbery of the elite.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Why bother with the new M?

SO WE CAN USE OUR R LENSES, that's why.
    An orphaned system lenses have been adapted by users of many other fine camera systems which are far better, cheaper and much much more versatile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Corning ware just released a new set of coffee cups. I am not sure if I should ditch my old coffee cups or skip this set and wait for the next. I really don't like the color of the new cups as much as the ones I have now. I also understand the cups can break if dropped from a ten-story building where my current cups can survive a twelve-story plunge.

I think the deal breaker is that I don't like the new packaging and it is now available in Walmart. I even saw Kim Kardashian drinking from the new mugs--Corning is just becoming celebrity accessories rather than serious drinking ware--I hate the snobbery of the elite.
    You could just get the new ones with complimentary colors because those old ones might have old fashioned color themes. Where are the new ones made? Where were the old ones made? Sometimes I prefer the finger handle on the older ones over the newer ones. Today some even cut corners and provide no finger holes at all leaving some with burned hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post

Hahaha, love it!
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2