The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many of the M9 shooters are skipping M240

jstaben

Just buy an M and use it as an MM until color issues are not fixed ;-)
Had the chance to make a few pictures with both and to print them, the MM performs better even upscaled 150% and the greys transitions are very sweet but at very, very close inspection only. Checked with 2 other photographers that came to the same conclusion: M is cheaper, has way better specs and is almost as good for B&W, color in option, so forget about the MM.
I'm trying, don't know if I'll succeed..
workflow totally different. IF you like color sliders, go for the M. For me, the simplicity of the MM workflow, RAW histogram, and other improvments are refreshing.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was completely in for buying the M - preordered last September when it was introduced. I had skipped the M9 as I had had so many issues with the M8.

When the M became available this year I continued to read lot of reviews and also handled one for a while. The result was that I really liked the new framing in classic RF mode but I disliked most of the other "improvements" like color, speed of electronics for LV, handling of video, separate EVF on top (why can Fuji build an excellent hybrid VF), EVF which is already outdated (1.4MP and far too slow refresh rate - look at Olympus what they achieve), miserable implementation of video mode overall et altera ....

So I finally cancelled my order, almost at the time when I got my M delivered!

Paying €6200.- for this for me inferior implementation is just not what I am gonna do! Rather wait for the next incarnation of M and keep happily shooting with my new XPro1 and excellent lenses for all my RF work. And spend my money meanwhile in lenses for X mount and Nikon (D800E) which is another VERY SATISFYING camera - again for much less money.

What I also dislike about Leica in general is their worldwide boutique approach - called Leica Stores. I still consider myself as a photographer and I do NOT NEED all that fancy garbage around, which you get offered in those stores and finally you pay the higher price for as well! This just makes Leica more a kind of fashion accessory but does not contribute much for the real photographers needs IMHO.

Last edited:

Photojazz

Stewart, I enjoyed your customer service story. You could say Leica crossed their T's and dotted their I's in a sense, huh? :) The I's, painted, get it? ok, I'm reaching a little bit, since you didn't really say they dotted the i, but I thought the analogy was to similar to pass up...

ptomsu, I wouldn't know about boutique stores, UPS and Fed Ex look the same to me, they haven't offered me a Latte' yet either. ;) (you know when they deliver my Leica lenses)...

m_driscoll

I think someone pointed out above that the presumption that because you have an M9, you're going to get an M, unless you 'skip" it is bizarre. One isn't required to "upgrade", as much as our consumption based ethos demands it (confession: I got all of the retina Apple products and an iPad Mini, as soon as they came out ;)). Get it if you want it (and can afford it); don't get it if you're happy with the gear you have. Comparing the M to an MM, M9, M8, D800, or a Kodak Brownie is interesting, and just that. The new technology and capabilities won't make you a better photographer, but they might stimulate your creativity, and allow you (as Kristian Dowling noted) to expand your repertoire of artistic technique...It's also fun getting new stuff.:p

Cheers, Matt

Shashin

Corning ware just released a new set of coffee cups. I am not sure if I should ditch my old coffee cups or skip this set and wait for the next. I really don't like the color of the new cups as much as the ones I have now. I also understand the cups can break if dropped from a ten-story building where my current cups can survive a twelve-story plunge.

I think the deal breaker is that I don't like the new packaging and it is now available in Walmart. I even saw Kim Kardashian drinking from the new mugs--Corning is just becoming celebrity accessories rather than serious drinking ware--I hate the snobbery of the elite.

V

Vivek

Why bother with the new M?

SO WE CAN USE OUR R LENSES, that's why.
An orphaned system lenses have been adapted by users of many other fine camera systems which are far better, cheaper and much much more versatile. :LOL:

algrove

Corning ware just released a new set of coffee cups. I am not sure if I should ditch my old coffee cups or skip this set and wait for the next. I really don't like the color of the new cups as much as the ones I have now. I also understand the cups can break if dropped from a ten-story building where my current cups can survive a twelve-story plunge.

I think the deal breaker is that I don't like the new packaging and it is now available in Walmart. I even saw Kim Kardashian drinking from the new mugs--Corning is just becoming celebrity accessories rather than serious drinking ware--I hate the snobbery of the elite.
You could just get the new ones with complimentary colors because those old ones might have old fashioned color themes. Where are the new ones made? Where were the old ones made? Sometimes I prefer the finger handle on the older ones over the newer ones. Today some even cut corners and provide no finger holes at all leaving some with burned hands.

:worthless::worthless::worthless::worthless::worthless:

edwardkaraa

Hahaha, love it! :clap: