Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steve Huff sells his M after severe color problems, commits to MM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steve Huff sells his M after severe color problems, commits to MM

I remember the M8 when it came out and the M9 when it came out. Of the digital M releases, the new M ,in spite of the few UI nits that irritate me is is probably the most problem free in the digital era.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I glad I did not buy into the hype?...Do you remember the frenzy? The Photokina..prior to Photokina. The build-up. The anticipation.

Am I glad I did not pre-order or buy the new M? I don't know. Honestly, I could not afford it at launch and I cannot afford it now.

The problems that are being discussed..well I cannot but quote a moderator on LUF, who said it much better than I ever could...

"The precedent of the M8 and M9 clearly demonstrate that Leica send out a new camera a bit like the penguins that push the first one off the iceberg to test if there are any Leopard seals around. Almost invariably that penguin gets taken and the rest wait until the leopard seal is satisfied and then they brave the waters, hoping all will be well. Eventually it is.

So, the first penguins have their new M's and are testing the colours and who knows what else. The beta testers have gone and the first wave of protagonists are swimming bravely. Eventually it will all come together and we will be happy little campers after a few firmware upgrades, probably based on complaints and observations made on the forum, and elsewhere.

Anyone surprised by all this? I'm not. Very predictable.
    Hold your breath, the good stuff is coming. "

I, though, am not holding my breadth...I am moving on with the other things in life. Am I glad I was not in the water with the leopard seals? You bet.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a customer in Aus cancel his M order in favour of the MM because of this Steve Huff article.

Please, everyone, heed Steve's words and switch your orders to the Monochrom. We make more money off them and have almost 200 backorders for the M to fill
    I too have not had any problems with colour and have shot the M in very tricky lighting.
    There is a serious new firmware for the M slated for May/June. It might interest some others here (kind of off topic) but there is a killer new firmware coming for the S in June, I had a play with it last week - offers at least one never-before-seen feature that would be very useful for landscape shooters.
    My Tumblr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add that if you have an M240 and you're unhappy with the color, please PM me and I'll take it off your hands.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Daniel, is the firmware update for just the S or the S2 also?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Steve Huff had wings for breakfast? Waddaya know.
    Detroit Red Wings - one of the great legacy teams that keeps on winning!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jubbaa View Post
    The impression Steve Huff left me with when I read is article was that for financial reasons he couldn't justify owning both, no other reason. He opted for the MM because he loves its simplicity,he loves shooting it and it suits his style more at the moment.
    The fact the he also owns an RX1 played a part in his decision to part with M. Later in the comments section he points out that "the RX1 could meet or exceed the M with a 35 cron".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Daniel, is the firmware update for just the S or the S2 also?
    Good question, I will inquire!
    My Tumblr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Hi Here is some thing more relevant that what Steve Huff had for breakfest

GO WINGS!!!!!!!
    I'm amazed how many Getdpi forum members get it worng. I can only chalk it up to inexperience or possibly a typo. We know all to well those previous Stanley Cup posts should have said "Go Caps!"

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 29th April 2013 at 06:08.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Whether someone else sells/buys/breaks/donates/exchanges his/her camera/s
    is really of no concern to me in the least.That person's issue, problem, hangup
    or misery.

For me, it is always, if my cam is good enough for me..for the job I purchased
    it in the first instance.

I wanted to take the ME to Laos..

It served me well there and when I am feeling a bit zestful.the camera and me shall be off again to places unseen.

I wonder why so much time and effort is expended by some on the buy/sell decisions of others. Insecurity? Seeking confirmation of a good purchase or the avoidance of one?

Make pictures that resonate with yourself..maybe they shall resonate with others too..even if it be with a non-descript box.
    koffee & kamera
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I should give a rat's arse what Steve does... Why, exactly?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Detroit Red Wings - one of the great legacy teams that keeps on winning!!
    Must be a heavy breakfast... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post

Seeking confirmation of a good purchase or the avoidance of one?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a tester and reviewer I never want anyone to buy anything on my recommendation only. People should take any data from any reviewer and only use it as part of the puzzle in the buying process. It's only a part of the decision process or at least it should be. You need to look at everything and do your homework before you pluck down your cash. Frankly your a idiot if you take only one thing into account when buying. We look at many things when buying a car for instance, hell I just bought one 3 days ago knowing my wife would probably not like it but I did it anyway as it saves us a ton in insurance and gas mileage never-mind price to buy. Besides its fun to drive and in the end on my Toureag lease return which would be in August I was looking at 30k over mileage of the lease that's like pissing 6 k in the wind at .20 cents per mile over. It had to go and I walked away on buy out at even money. That was smart money saved.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Steve sold his MM a long time ago, after his Mono review. Did he buy it again afterwards? I saw an ad on his website selling it for 6950, I emailed him to inquire but someone else already bought it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Must be a heavy breakfast... :-)
    Godfrey / Dave

Be good!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    I remember Steve sold his MM a long time ago, after his Mono review. Did he buy it again afterwards? I saw an ad on his website selling it for 6950, I emailed him to inquire but someone else already bought it.
    He sold his original MM (the one he used for his 3 part review), then got another one after he got the M240. He then had that one at least twice up on the for-sale section within the last 4 weeks. I noticed it first for $6700 then he took it down within 15min (I emailed him about this). The second time it was $6900, then taken down after an unknown amount of time. It wasn't until his blog post that he mentioned deciding to keep it.

Regardless, we all have times where we have second thoughts about buying something, wondering if we *really need it*, etc. We're all human. I've gone back and forth about many things in my life. Especially when dealing with this kind of money for many of us there is considerable thought about it and going back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord... chill out people.

Take Guy advice : take everyone insights in when making a decision and not from a SINGLE person.

What works for you, might not work for me. What I find GREAT colours poping you might find over saturated. What you find nice details, I might find flat and boring. And the reverse way is true.

I've been a Leica fan and customer for years, since the film days with the M's.

M8 ? bought one at launch. M8.2 ? at launch. M9 ? at launch.

What ALL of them have in common ? All of them came out with flaws. Some of them SEVERELY flawed. Italian flags, IR issues, lockup's, freezes, lines, SD card problems, you name it.

Sure, when you pay 7 or 8 grand for a camera, you except out of this world quality control. But digital is new to Leica and sometimes problems are there.

Today we look back and laugh at the M8 quirks at launch and call them "personality". Or "little quirks".

Jesus, it was mayhem.

This is the price for digital early adopters. Always been. Buy a camera at launch, this is the price to pay.

Is Leica improving and products are comming out better than their predecessors ? Yes.

But still the mighty S2, with a hefty price tag, came with room for improvement upon launch.

Today the M9, S2 are mature products. I own a S2 and its by far, the best camera I ever used.

On a side note, AWB is great. But sometimes I have to correct it in Lightroom, either because its wrong or because I want to emphasize something or adjust it to my personal style.

So the M240 aint perfect on AWB issues? Big deal. Live with it .) It will become better - we hope.
    Leica M9 | 50mm Summilux ASPH | www.proenca.eu
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    It might interest some others here (kind of off topic) but there is a killer new firmware coming for the S in June, I had a play with it last week - offers at least one never-before-seen feature that would be very useful for landscape shooters.
    Like Kurt, I'd be very interested to hear more about this. For S2 or just the new S? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    It might interest some others here (kind of off topic) but there is a killer new firmware coming for the S in June, I had a play with it last week - offers at least one never-before-seen feature that would be very useful for landscape shooters.
    I had dozed off there for a minute, but now I'm awake.

For me, a more exciting prospect than a dispute about why Steve Huff sold a camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I had dozed off there for a minute, but now I'm awake.

For me, a more exciting prospect than a dispute about why Steve Huff sold a camera.

Agree . Who really cares anyway. **** he dont even have a great story behind it to listen too. Come to my campfire, I got stories. ROTFLMAO

Okay I'm done with this and I smell lock it up Guy is in my agenda. I just need a second motion. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I second the motion, Mr. Chairman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Done.

Locked due to losing its fun mood.

I gave you all something fun in the sunset bar . Go check it out

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-b...oto-shoot.html