Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Will the Leica R APO 2x extender work on the Leica R 70-180? How many stops does it slow it down?

    Thanks
    Chad
    ICON Motion Pictures
    Filming now underway for "The Southwest"
    Red Epic-M Dragon

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    If I remember correctly, it is one stop slower. Yes, it should would with the 70-180 APO

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Hmm, I thought an extender 1.4x slowed down by 1 fstop, and 2x by 2 fstops, no?

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    2 stops indeed (only light, not DOF), so your f2.8 will become 'f5.6' et cetera.
    Works like a charm, but boy is it heavy ...

    No M yet, but mounting it on my OM-D it gets me an adequate 720mm range
    Fun with M & R Lenses on anything other then a Leica - post #273


    Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Thanks
    ICON Motion Pictures
    Filming now underway for "The Southwest"
    Red Epic-M Dragon

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Here is the chart I downloaded from LUF on same discussion:
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    so im guessing the dash means the 1.4 extender won't work?
    ICON Motion Pictures
    Filming now underway for "The Southwest"
    Red Epic-M Dragon

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Quote Originally Posted by chadlanc View Post
    so im guessing the dash means the 1.4 extender won't work?
    That is correct. The front element of the 1.4 APO extender protrudes too far out that it will interfer with the rear element of the noted lenses.
    Caution on the 180/2.8 APO. The 1.4 APO extender only works with the version 2 of that lens only.
    Last edited by SKueh; 3rd May 2013 at 08:38. Reason: typo

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKueh View Post
    That is correct. The front element of the 1.4 APO extender protrudes too far out that it will interfer with the rear element of the noted lenses.
    Caution on the 180/2.8 APO. The 1.4 APO extender only works with the version 2 of that lens only.
    What part # is Version 2 please.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    180/2.8 APO version 2 Cat # is 11923.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKueh View Post
    180/2.8 APO version 2 Cat # is 11923.
    Lou,
    I think I made a mistake. From what I can find, looks like Leica modified the lens to fit the 1.4X APO extender. Here is a post by Pham Minh Son on FM forum: "These lens do not accept the Leica 1.4 extender but will accept the 2X extender. Leica can modify this lens to accept it. However, I do not recommend since Leica has modified the new lens to make work with the 1.4 but they also compromised the formula of the lens." Following is the link: FS: Leica Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm F2.8 - FM Forums

    Hope that helps.

  12. #12
    Senior Member doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R Apo 2x on 70-180?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKueh View Post
    Lou,
    I think I made a mistake. From what I can find, looks like Leica modified the lens to fit the 1.4X APO extender. Here is a post by Pham Minh Son on FM forum: "These lens do not accept the Leica 1.4 extender but will accept the 2X extender. Leica can modify this lens to accept it. However, I do not recommend since Leica has modified the new lens to make work with the 1.4 but they also compromised the formula of the lens." Following is the link: FS: Leica Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm F2.8 - FM Forums

    Hope that helps.
    My 180mm APO-Elmarit-R is an older model modified to accept the 1.4x extender. If there's any optical compromise it's a pretty good one.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •