The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 SD Card discussion about SD card restrictions

Photojazz

I just picked up a used 64 gb card a Lexar SDXC. I know the card works, as I can see it in my laptop drive. Not recognized by M9 though. Is this just this particular card? I did the firmware update for it noted as a possible issue on Steve Huff's site, and he points you to the latest firmware update. Update successful, using SD card not.

ideas anyone? Just card compatibility?

***** Valuable tip *****
See valuable information below: 32gb is likely max storage usable, and can only be SDHC format cards only, No SDXC allowed. At least not before a firmware update to possibly allow it. Or it may never be allowed.

Only SD and SDHC cards are currently allowed for M9

Last edited:

John_McMaster

Re: My M9 is finicky about SD cards it seems

Don't think it works with 64GB cards either, that would take four batteries to fill the card....

john

Photojazz

Well, I honestly didn't even think about it being anything special when I picked it up second hand. I probably should have thought about it. lol.

I am considering getting a Nikon D800E, if I do, I can use it for that, if nothing else I guess. Hopefully it will work in that, since that is what the guy had I got it from. Turns out he had a card go bad, and sent it in for replacement. He got a Sandisk in the meantime and then decided to sell this one, his confidence shaken. Now mine is shaken too, lol.

I would like to know what this XC designation is, and if that is a fact it won't work with Leica. The only other thing I considered was just card inconsistency, or to large a card?

Honestly, after I bought it I thought I could probably shoot all year and not fill this card up, if it worked. I was thinking it was a lot of card for sure, probably to much. But for 40 bucks, it seemed like a deal at the time. Now, not looking so good though...

bradhusick

I use SanDisk 32GB SDHC cards with 100% success. Never tried an SDXC in the M9.

John_McMaster

Were I to shoot this much in one day, a 16GB (~432 shots) roughly matches a battery change

john

edwardkaraa

Create a new folder in your PC and name it whatever you want (I usually name it Sony to tease the M9) then insert the card in the camera. If it doesn't recognize it then this type is not supported. If it is recognized, just format in camera and you're ready to go.

arild

I use a bunch of Sandisk 8gb 30mb/s. Cheap as hell, and very compatible with the M9s allergies. I bought a couple of transcend cards, at 16gb, no go.

Photojazz

Thanks for the idea Edward. There was a D800 folder on the sdxc card, I Saw that on my computer. The M9 never recognized it had a card in it, therefore, I can't format it. I guess it's just a case of incompatibility, pure and simple. I'll keep using my Kingston 16gb cards for now, they work fine.

Maybe pick up a Sandisk too later arild.

Thanks
doug

D&A

I use a bunch of Sandisk 8gb 30mb/s. Cheap as hell, and very compatible with the M9s allergies. I bought a couple of transcend cards, at 16gb, no go.
Arild, were the 16GB Transcend cards you tried and wouldn't work in your M9, class 6 or class 10? Just curious since I've used the blue label class 6 16GB Transcend cards in an M9 with no issues.

What problems did you encounter? Would they not work at all, partially fill or wouldn't format? Just curious what their issue was? Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

jaapv

Subscriber Member

The M9 does not take SDXC cards- period...:(

D&A

Thanks for the idea Edward. There was a D800 folder on the sdxc card, I Saw that on my computer. The M9 never recognized it had a card in it, therefore, I can't format it. I guess it's just a case of incompatibility, pure and simple. I'll keep using my Kingston 16gb cards for now, they work fine.

Maybe pick up a Sandisk too later arild.

Thanks
doug
I recall a time on some very old digital cameras when only regular SD cards would work in them, not SDHC...as the architecture of the card apparently changed to a degree. This I believe is even more so the case when going from SDHC to SDXC and many cameras do need a specific firmware update that indicates the camera will now be able to use SDXC cards. Whether the last M9 firmware released for the M9 incorporates the update for these types of cards, I don't honestly know.

One thing you can try is on your computer, drag off all folders seen on the card and then format your card on your computer. After doing this put card into your M9 and try formatting. If it doesn't, then is safe to presume the camera doesn't recognize these types of cards.

Dave (D&A)

*** Edit...I posted this at the same time Jaap posted his information regarding SDXC cards in the M9 "above"...so apparently that's the answer!

Last edited:

jaapv

Subscriber Member

As I say, it won't work... SD or SDHC for the M9. no SDXC.

Very old digital cameras a long time ago?:shocked:
That was 2007! :bugeyes:..... Good Lord, has the world speeded up....:facesmack:

V

Vivek

Very old digital cameras a long time ago?:shocked:
That was 2007! :bugeyes:..... Good Lord, has the world speeded up....:facesmack:
Yes, Jaap. :)

Lot easier to upload pet snaps. :D

Photojazz

Dave, I seem to remember that as well.

Jaap, I believe you are right, it just won't work, so guys, please do not buy a SDXC card for your M9 series cameras!

Lesson learned a little bit the hard way.

NO SDXC for Leica M9!

V

Vivek

Lesson learned a little bit the hard way.

NO SDXC for Leica M9!

1. Read the manual.

2. Never ever buy used SD cards, especially while using it on expensive cameras.

Godfrey

how large a card is everyone using anyway?
My standard card for the M9 is an HP class 10 32G SDHC. Set to JPEG+raw capture, with the JPEGs set to a medium size at the fine quality setting, that's good for over 1200 exposures, which seems enough for me.

---
SD is the spec for storage cards capable of up to 2 Gbyte storage capacity.

SDHC is the spec for storage cards capable of 4 to 32 Gbyte storage capacities.

SDXC is the next level of SD card storage classes, including 64 to 132 Gbyte card capacities.

See this knowledgebase entry on the Sandisk site for more details:
SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility

The Leica M9 manual states SD/SDHC, no mention is made of SDXC cards. That leads me to conclude that SDXC are not officially compatible. Both SDHC and SDXC require certain minimum hardware capabilities beyond SD cards, and certain facilities to be available for firmware upgradeability. I don't believe the M9 card cage has those capabilities for SDXC protocol. The 1.196 firmware notes say nothing about SDXC compatibility.

Godfrey

Photojazz

Ahhh, so that's what the designations are all about. So, in short, we need to stick to cards from 2-32 GB. Which of course, is fine, if you know that. Thanks Godfrey!

FYI, I didn't check my manual. I believe we can at least say some SDXC cards are not compatible, if not all, at least not without future firmware updates to allow them to work.

Doug