The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would VF-4 work with the new M?

jonoslack

Hi Vivek
I quite agree - I have asked the question, but I don't expect a quick answer as I doubt they know the implications of the update yet. . . . I imagine that if it's possible they will be marketing it themselves as well.

V

Vivek

Awesome! :)

Jono, Thank you for asking and the post here! :thumbs:

jonoslack

Awesome! :)

Jono, Thank you for asking and the post here! :thumbs:
HI Vivek
I might not be allowed to post the answer :D
Still, if you want an opinion (whilst I still know nothing) - they're pretty wedded to the Olympus VF2 for various cameras (M, d-lux, x2), and it'd be surprising if they didn't take the opportunity to upgrade to the better viewfinder. I've actually pre-ordered a VF4 on the off-chance.

all the best

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

It is great that you alerted them! If it takes only one or two to make a Hassy to Leica S adapter, it should be a few hour job for the FW team to do this. In this fast changing world, it is best if they keep themselves up to date and on time. :)

scott kirkpatrick

It looks awesome. It runs without firmware upgrade on the E-P5 (which I hope is the same as my E-PL5 that started shipping at the end of last year -- anyone Know?), has higher resolution, and has an eye-sensor to turn itself on when you bring it to your eye and off when you use the back panel LCD. At B&H it is priced about the same as the VF-2 was priced when that was the only option (and away from Christmas deal season). Older Olympus Pen cameras can run it with a firmware update, so it is certainly plug compatible with the VF-4. I presume Leica would not have had as good advance knowledge of it as the Olympus developers, but who knows?

scott

Update -- the E-P5 is not the same as the E-PL5. It has 5-axis (???) image stabilization like the O-MD, instead of what the E-PL5 uses (which works quite well), and the new VF-4 viewfinder. It should start shipping in the coming month. Same imaging chip and data path. 1/8000th max shutter speed, and claims improved autofocus. That may mean that it refreshes the EVF at 60 or even 120 fps, which would be very important, but less likely to have Leica support.

Last edited:

mreddington

For what it's worth, someone at the Leica Shop in Munich recently said he had heard there was a new EVF in the pipeline. Maybe this is it.

Martin

V

Vivek

Gary, Appreciate the link but where is any information and why would you say "good" information?! :confused:

Let me add here that Jono's post here provides me with more information. ;)

Gary Clennan

Sorry you got nothing out of the link Vivek.... However, there was a reply just posted:

There is now some more detail on DPReview. If it will work on the M, it sounds like really good news. One comment was that it is like "looking through the optical viewfinder of a top DSLR". More info on DP review quoted here:

Our first impressions of the VF-4 are very positive - it gives an experience that comes remarkably close to shooting with a conventional optical finder, but with the advantage of a detailed overlay of shooting information, including such things as electronic levels and a live histogram. The display lag is minimal (Olympus claims a mere 32ms), and the live view image sharp and detailed into the corners of the frame. About the only negative point is that the view is so large that spectacle wearers may struggle to see into the extreme corners.

Looks to be pretty good. Hopefully it will work on the M240 at some point in time.... :)