The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Christmas presents

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is a e-mail sent from Leica AG. All I can add to this is. Hey i could use a M8 under my tree. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

To our customers
Dear customers and friends of our company,
This year is no exception; suddenly Christmas is almost here, even though, four weeks ago, everyone thought there was still plenty of time. Christmas is supposed to be a peaceful season, but suddenly, everything is so hectic.
As you all know, Leica Camera quite deliberately decided to sell the brand's products exclusively through a network of authorised Leica dealers some years ago. Because, only there can you, as a discerning customer, find the expert advice and service you deserve and expect from a brand like Leica. Our authorised dealers are the partners we all rely on!
I would like to request something important of you all: Please support your Leica dealers in these current tough times for the business world. When you are planning your Christmas presents, please spare a thought for your local dealer and our range of products. We will be actively supporting our dealers in the Christmas season and some time beyond with particularly attractive special offers and promotions. So visit your Leica dealer and take a look at the special Leica offers he has waiting just for you.
I am looking forward very much to hearing news from our partners, our authorised dealers, about your support.
In closing, I want to wish you and your families a very Happy Christmas and a wonderful start to the New Year!
Yours

Dr. Andreas Kaufmann

robmac

Got same email. Good morning chuckle while coffee was brewing. That said, if M owners are PO'd about the seemingly random pricing swings and policies by Solms, imagine how the dealers feel.

It's going to take a bit more than a "take some pity on your local dealer..." letter from the good Dr. to boost channel revenue. A look in the mirror might be a good start:

How to Boost Channel Sales 101
------------------------------------

0. Look at price/performance curves from your Marketing Intelligence gremlins on DSLR and MFDB market and conclude, between sips of expresso, that gremlins must have printed charts with axis incorrectly labeled. Ignore.

1. Introduce a (modestly) upgraded M8 (the 8.2) and a couple of (sweet) lenses at mind-numbing price. M9, what M9? Let die-hard brand defenders blame pricing on FX and hope no one actually notices investors fleeing US$ for Euro. Global economic crunch? It wasn't in our 5 yr plan - ignore it.

2. Offer an upgrade policy on the M8 that makes upgrading, while silly-expensive within any context other than Leica, much more palatable than buying an 8.2. Be nice to get some quick and easy extra $$$ from the installed base.

3. Funnel the upgrade cash straight to Solms. Dealer channel, what do they have to do with it? Any idiot can call FedEx. Hum, upgrade guys are REALLY busy. Sweet.

4. Ignore fact that policies (and resulting fed-up owners) are lobotomizing (within the Leica context again) used M8 prices - undercutting dealer new/used sales. Obviously just a minority of folks who just don't 'get' what owning a modern Leica means. Swine.

5. Scratch head and wonder why dealers are going into fetal position. Must be something they ate.

6. Now the dealer emails are REALLY getting annoying. Must talk to IT about email filtering - some of them contained some very rude words. I know, lets offer some modest rebates (no, not discounts, we need the cash flow) on (already over-priced) existing gear. Who says we don't know Marketing? Oops, time for lunch.

7. Lots of 8.2 boxes around here suddenly. Must talk to Inventory Control about renting more storage trailers.

8. Ok, these boxes are REALLY getting to be PITA. Hey Greta, our users complain less than our dealers and buy our gear no matter what we do, right? Ok, boost the price of upgrades by say, ah, 30% tomorrow to the narrow gap between upgrading and buying an 8.2. May not help with used M8 values, but hey, they should be buying from dealers anyway.

Oh, and lets see some PowerPoints about one or two 8.2 Special Editions - margins could use a bit of a boost.

8. Lets see Dr. K sending an Xmas "be nice to your dealer email" to rally the faithful. That's always a nice touch. Ok, I'm off to The Canary Islands for the Xmas shutdown - good job folks and we'll see you in next month.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I almost had my coffee go through places it should not.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Rob you made my day.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rob

While I think your summary is pretty accurate.....I agree with the sentiment of the letter . Maybe its going thru Christmas and seeing so many in such dire financial situations. People that did things right and didn t ask for help .

So I am inclined to give the good Dr. a pass for Christmas and wish Leica and its dealers all the best.

Roger

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Oh I didn t mean to imply that Rob wasn t funny and unfortunately probably accurate. Normally I would be adding to his list. Just trying to be charitable to the Leica folks in times that are difficult for the best managed firms.

Roger

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Rob, someone should make that into a script and create "You Tube" video.

I got that email this morning.....I thought it was strange....

robmac

Thanks folks - I do feel for the dealers, they are truly caught between a rock and a hard place. My sympathy for Leica senior management? Not so much.

Solms trying to boost channel revenue (after, it would appear, excluding them from any taste of the upgrade stream) by imploring us to charitably "buy more stuff" in these challenging times is not only a tad hypocritical, it will:

1. Have 1/10^Nth the impact of Solms simply having consistent pricing policies that even remotely reflect the current photo market and economic reality.

2. Come across as a meatless 'feel good' message to anyone, especially any dealer, who reads it.

3. Send a possibly unduly worrisome message to financial types, dealers (a.k.a inventory holders) and customers regarding the (financial) state of affairs/outlook in Solms and within the dealer network.

There was simply no upside to anyone in releasing it.

Now if anyone wants to help Solms out, I'd like a 280/4 APO. No need to wrap it ;>

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks folks - I do feel for the dealers, they are truly caught between a rock and a hard place. My sympathy for Leica senior management? Not so much.

Solms trying to boost channel revenue (after, it would appear, excluding them from any taste of the upgrade stream) by imploring us to charitably "buy more stuff" in these challenging times is not only a tad hypocritical, it will:

1. Have 1/10^Nth the impact of Solms simply having consistent pricing policies that even remotely reflect the current photo market and economic reality.

2. Come across as a meatless 'feel good' message to anyone, especially any dealer, who reads it.

3. Send a possibly unduly worrisome message to financial types, dealers (a.k.a inventory holders) and customers regarding the (financial) state of affairs/outlook in Solms and within the dealer network.

There was simply no upside to anyone in releasing it.

Now if anyone wants to help Solms out, I'd like a 280/4 APO. No need to wrap it ;>
Rob

I don t know why this isn t publicized ....but dealers do get a cut on upgrades (if you go thru them). When the upgrade price list came out my dealer shared the dealer price list . I can t remember the margin but it was more than on a new camera % wise. However unless you dealer is within a short distance ..why would you go thru double handling. There was no indication that dealers would get any priority over an owner working direct.

robmac

Glen - interesting. Thank you. Operated under assumption that since people could (as many seem to have) go direct to Solms/NJ that dealers were left out of equation.

Good (for the dealer) they get a taste if they're used (nice margin for simply calling FedEx), but sadly I think you're/were correct, why ship via a dealer and deal with double-handling, delays in shipping, etc.

Last edited:

TimWright

Actualy I have found it quicker and much easier through my dealer. No paper work, no worry about taxes, duty, brokerage fees etc. Plus my dealer (Camtec in Montreal) pre reserved spots for the upgrade so no need to call and reserve a spot in february or march. Took 3 weeks there and back.

robmac

On a more positive note, just got the email re: the S2 system with some lens MTFs - look nice. Very nice. Hopefully they can get their ducks in a row on it.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Actualy I have found it quicker and much easier through my dealer. No paper work, no worry about taxes, duty, brokerage fees etc. Plus my dealer (Camtec in Montreal) pre reserved spots for the upgrade so no need to call and reserve a spot in february or march. Took 3 weeks there and back.
Tim

Great example of a dealer adding value and being rewarded for it. In the US its generally just double shipping unless you are near by. Hindsight is 20/20 but Leica could have reserved probably the first 6 weeks for the dealer network. This would have given the dealer an opportunity to make a pitch for the M8.2. It seems the MF dealers are always thinking about adding value . Maybe Leica could pick up on that opportunity.

Roger

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
It must be nice to have a dealer closer than a 120 miles away or more than two in your state. For me it's simply does not make economic or any other sense to buy from a Texas dealer.