The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 50 mm lense or 75 mm for my Leica M-E

Christians86

Hi,
I'm new here - earlier this year I sold of a lot of equipment, and got in return from my dealer a Leica M-E with a summarit 35, and later I bought a 90 mm F2 summicron pre asph.

I'm very satisfied with these, but since I do a lot of streetphoto - it's what I prefer when shooting with people...the gap between causes some problems at times. I'm thinking about the 75 mm or a 50 mm. But I see on ebay leitz and so on - is there any differences between those on ebay? I think Leica must have made quality before and still do - its not like they first became good with asph and so on. Or am I wrong?

iiiNelson

What's your budget? If it's under $1000 I'd recommend the 50/2 Planar ZM. If you can afford the 50 Summilux ASPH FLE I'd go with that.

jubbaa

Hi Christians86

I am not sure what you want from the lens ( pin sharp , modern vs older etc) or your budget so I can only comment on focal length.

Personally I feel the 50mm is better for street work than the 75mm for two reasons. First I find the 75mm too tight in composition , great for portraits but not so good for adding context , environmental portraits if you like.

Secondly , you might find it easier to nail focus with a 50mm vs a 75mm at the same aperture and this will help when you are trying to capture fleeting moments on the Street.

Personally I actually find the 50mm sometimes too long for street shooting and would perhaps opt for a 28 to go with the 35mm. However 28and 35 are quite close so in this case , and given the two options you are considering I would go for the 50mm .

I will leave others to comment on Lieca vs ZM , old lenses vs modern.

Good luck.

James

Photojazz

Personally, I had a 24mm lux (my first BIG lens investment), a 35mm cron, and a 90mm cron. I sold my 35 cron and upgraded to a 35mm lux, this will be my bread and butter street lens. I decided to get one more lens, and while I am still sorting through the particulars of my purchase (see other thread in this section), I opted for a 50mm lux. I know it was the right choice between it, and the other lens I want someday, a 75 cron. But the 75 can wait I feel. After all, it's 15mm different than the 90, so it's not like I don't already have something longer. Then maybe someday a 135 or 150 length lens, have to see what is available, and that should complete my Leica kit, I hope.

I say get the 50, whether a cron, a Lux, or an alternate brand like the CV or Zeiss, is all personal choice.

V

Vivek

I'm very satisfied with these, but since I do a lot of streetphoto - it's what I prefer when shooting with people...
My understanding of the laws concerning photos of people in Norway is that they are not conducive to street photography- ie., you are not allowed to show any faces at all without express written permission (even if it is not of a commercial nature). Check if that is the case before embarking on a lens hunt.

BTW, what frame lines does the ME support?

Last edited:

Christians86

My understanding of the laws concerning photos of people in Norway is that they are not conducive to street photography- ie., you are not allowed to show any faces at all without express written permission (even if it is not of a commercial nature). Check if that is the case before embarking on a lens hunt.

BTW, what frame lines does the ME support?
Normally if I take of others (that don't know) its not of their faces...but if I need that, and maybe I have misused the term "Street photo" - but I use models from a agency and put them in the street environment.

Other than that - it seems a valid point about focus - its easier to focus with the 35 - see that the I focus right, than with 90 mm. So if the 50 mm is closer and 75 more like the 90, then 50 is the best for me.

Would there be any difference between old and new 50 mm? I think that summicron is were I like it.

Also - thank you for all the replies :)

Paratom

Hi,
I'm new here - earlier this year I sold of a lot of equipment, and got in return from my dealer a Leica M-E with a summarit 35, and later I bought a 90 mm F2 summicron pre asph.

I'm very satisfied with these, but since I do a lot of streetphoto - it's what I prefer when shooting with people...the gap between causes some problems at times. I'm thinking about the 75 mm or a 50 mm. But I see on ebay leitz and so on - is there any differences between those on ebay? I think Leica must have made quality before and still do - its not like they first became good with asph and so on. Or am I wrong?
I have used both 50 and 75 Summarits besides other 50s and 75s (Summicrons and Summilux) and have to say if I had to choose a lenses under 1000 Euro I would chose one of the Summarits.
For street probably the 50mm over 75mm, but then 35 and 75 goes very well as a 2 lens combo.
The 50 Summarit is a tiny but very nice lens IMO. And it also shares the signature you have from your 35mm lens.
If you would buy 75mm you could probably sell 90. (Even though I admit to own both focal length...using the 75 much more than 90, but 50 more than 75).

Christians86

I have used both 50 and 75 Summarits besides other 50s and 75s (Summicrons and Summilux) and have to say if I had to choose a lenses under 1000 Euro I would chose one of the Summarits.
For street probably the 50mm over 75mm, but then 35 and 75 goes very well as a 2 lens combo.
The 50 Summarit is a tiny but very nice lens IMO. And it also shares the signature you have from your 35mm lens.
If you would buy 75mm you could probably sell 90. (Even though I admit to own both focal length...using the 75 much more than 90, but 50 more than 75).
Would something like this: Leica 50mm F2 0 Summicron R Lens | eBay work? How would it work compared to the new ASPH lense? Would I notice any difference - unless pixelpeeping?

Photojazz

Christians86:

I think we never really addressed part of your questions, about Leica lenses only being good from ASPH on. Leica made a lot of great lenses over the years. The differences will be in the rendering of the lens. In fact, some people prefer how the older lenses render subjects, as having that "Leica look". I don't even know how to define that Leica look, and maybe now, there's actually more than one Leica look.

But you can get some nice older lenses, yes, some that say Leitz, some made in Canada even. Will they be as good as today's lenses? Well, they will be different. Buy what your wallet affords you to do comfortably. That is one reason a lot of people look at Zeiss, the glass is top notch, they have a beautiful rendering in a lot of lenses, and the price is somewhat affordable.

I do want to caution you about auction purchases. Please know what you are getting into before bidding on any auction type setting. It's a good place to NOT get a good value if you are not careful. There are better places to buy, such as here, FredMiranda, even large photo shops. Granted, being in Norway may make it a little tougher to use non-euro sources. I can't help you with that much. But please, make sure you get an M lens, not an R lens. R will not work with your camera, as previously said by cvickery

Christians86

Hi, and thanks for the answer...I started looking at foto.no - I paid 1000 usd for the 90 mm leitz summicron 90 mm, and it renders pictures lovely...so I'm almost sad to say that I love mye Leica more than Nikon D800 and all that I have with it.

But how are these:

https://www.foto.no/cgi-bin/bruktmarked/visAnnonse.cgi?id=197971

Leica Summilux 50mm f/1.4 - from early 1960. Somewhat used.

4500 NOK equals 800 USD ish...to much?

If I'm not mistaking this is the very same that is listed here?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...&_nkw=Leica+Summilux+50mm+leitz+1960&_sacat=0

V

Vivek

Hi, and thanks for the answer...I started looking at foto.no - I paid 1000 usd for the 90 mm leitz summicron 90 mm, and it renders pictures lovely...so I'm almost sad to say that I love mye Leica more than Nikon D800 and all that I have with it.

If I'm not mistaking this is the very same that is listed here?

[/QUOTE] That is hard to be believ...to show how it compares with the D800 images?

Christians86

That is hard to be believe. Care to share a picture or two to show how it compares with the D800 images?
I can fix that when I'm not sitting and looking at Eurovision song contest - but the remark was made to the whole feeling - the D800 is a beast and a brick in size and weight compared to a Leica M-E, and what I get from the M-E tends to make me much more happy than what I get from the D800 in whole...so its a very very very subjective feeling, and has absolutly nothing to do with the technical - but compared to the D800 with Nikon 85 F1,4 (newest one) - I still would use the Leica M-E with 90 mm leica summicron.

Christians86

So do you feel the future inyour hand? ;)
If you mean than the future ownership of Nikon vs Leica has come into play? Well, yes - currently I have been stupid enough to buy Hasselblad, Pentax, Nikon and Leica (Leica was only because I was supposed to buy the new Profoto B4) but decided to step down on photo due to work - tried to earn money on it, but decided that I needed something that made me happy after 8 hours in a office. Now its time to make some decisions bout what to keep, and what not to keep....currently Nikon and Hasselblad is about to be sold...and I keep Pentax and Leica...but I need to have a meeting with a friend were we are going to start a firm together, so its schetchy right now :)

Christians86

Oh I was simply referring to the Norwegian contestent's song. :eek:
Hahahaha :p You thought that was obvious on a photoforum? :p Well, on that side - I still belive that Georgia is the only other country than Norway that deserves to win...but the cost of hosting a new eurovison...no thanks :p

Photojazz

you have a lot going on in this thread. I have to say, I'd tend to Nikon and Leica if I had my choices. The newest 85 1.4G nikon should be good. The D800 is quite sensitive to the quality of glass I think. You should only use the best. Well, you do what is right with you. I can certainly understand the M shining above other cameras and lenses, the quality of Leica is so stunning. It's just not designed such to be ideal for all shooting of course.