Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mini M?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Mini M?

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    The RX1 is a little on the small side, to me, although, on the other hand, I think the M9 is a little too thick. M6 sized seems about right,
    There you go, what camera did Goldilocks use? that's what we need!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

I'll go out on a limb and say a small APS-C sensor sized camera (similar in size to Panasonic GX1) with a NEW mount, NEW series of MANUAL focus lenses, more like the summarit designs.
    I'm also coming in from the limb to the trunk of the tree. I rekon I'm on the money here ... that other pic is rubbish. BTW, what is the prize for guessing right ?? some ?

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, Leica's Facebook page hints the rumors of the leaked camera might not be true.

Could, and probably will still be a disappointment given what everyone is looking for but still, there's a ray of hope that we'll see a better camera on the 11th.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The RX1 is a little on the small side...
    The RX-1 is a small camera. That is the point. (Certainly my Pentax 645D is one of the most comfortable cameras I ever held, but it is bigger.) In the context of a very compact design, I think is really well designed as far as handling.

I think there need to be some balance to comments (and this is not directed at you Douglas in anyway as I find your comment excellent). How many times has an M or other rangefinder been dismissed because you cannot get a 600mm telephoto lens for it. Or a large format camera because of film handling. It would be nice were we can comment on a camera type based on the context of the design rather than all possible permeation of every kind of camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Leica is trying to discredit the leaked "Mini M." They changed their picture on their Facebook page.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty big assumption that existing M and S users are not the target market . That was clearly not the case with the X1/X2 . Most M and S users constantly look at the smaller cameras as an addition to their M/S systems .

The X1/X2 both look dated today ..but when the X1 was introduced it had a APS C sensor and a 24 asph leica lens in a small form . Clearly capable of very high IQ . I know a number of S users that have been very happy with the X1/X2 as a take anywhere alternative to their MF system . (Sure the M may be preferred but this is a choice for a more casual approach ).

Look at the RX 1 ..a hit with many M users as are the Fuji,Sony and Olympus alternatives . As Sony has proved there is a market among serious photographers for a well designed and high quality offering . Look at Luminous Landscape ....both authors off to australia ....primarily a MF workshop ...their second camera ....the Fuji XPro 1 (with the new Zeiss AF lenses).

While I am sure there will be buyers that just want the RED DOT like the rebranded Panasonic s ....I don t think Leica would be wise to throw the baby out with the bath water .

I think Leica s greatest constraint is an inability to produce a line of smaller AF lenses at a price that could work . I hope I am wrong ..but why else would I buy a mini M in that $3K -4K price range ?

Another mystery ....could Leica really boast about an EVIL system camera(back in 2010) and then introduce a X body with a zoom lens ? Or were they speaking of the EVF on the new M ? Hardly a design high point .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Looks like Leica is trying to discredit the leaked "Mini M." They changed their picture on their Facebook page.
    Well, that could be a good sign.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Even though I can imagine that there are some people who buy Leica as a luxury product I am sure that there are many people who buy it because they feel its the best solution for them. Thats at least the reason why I use Leica M and S, but also an OMD, (and probably not a Mini M).
    That is exactly why I differentiated between the M (and S) clientele, and the lower models. M and S are professional tools, while the lower mini and micro and nano models are for casual users. As a serious photographer, I am sure the same reasons why you bought the M are keeping you from buying the Mini.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can all agree that even for Leica, there exists a number of different markets and consequently different types of shooters that each of their models are targeted for.

I can't help but think (and have since the mini M was alluded to), that the name itself implies it's part of the "M" family. This means a interchangeable mount M body but something that fits into a different class than the current new M rangefinder or even the full frame M-E. What I see is a somewhat smaller rangefinderless body incorporating a APS sized CMOS sensor with a sizeable rear LCD screen and either a built in or external optional EVF... probably external. It being a M mount camera, it will take all M mount lenses of course in addition to possibly a newly designed zoom lens thats strictly for use on APS sized sensor.

Whether there will be other smaller APS only designed lenses will depend on how successful the body is. This may be a far reaching prediction based on Leica's past with bodies other than the classic M rangefinders, but I think they might want to reach a larger and younger generation of shooters who might be tempted with a lower priced alternative to use the legedary M lenses on. The body also will not complete with the used M8/M8.2 market as the body design and features set it apart.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 30th May 2013 at 23:02.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, I would almost agree with you if Leica did not also call the X series cameras the micro M and the D Lux the nano M in the same promo image as the mini M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The RX-1 is a small camera. That is the point. (Certainly my Pentax 645D is one of the most comfortable cameras I ever held, but it is bigger.) In the context of a very compact design, I think is really well designed as far as handling.
    Agreed. I ordered a half case for my RX1, but I may not even use it.

It'll be interesting to see what this new Leica actually is. Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of their hats.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Dave, I would almost agree with you if Leica did not also call the X series cameras the micro M and the D Lux the nano M in the same promo image as the mini M.
    Agreed and that's the confusing part. By incorporating the letter or name "M" in the entire product line I think in some ways works against identifying their various product line.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another theory:
    Lets say the leaked camera is the real one (with non changeable lens).
    Maybe it is just the start and Leica develops exchangeable lenses and brings a second generation with exchangeable lenses of the same camera body. Like Fuji did with the x100 followed by the X-Pro and XE models?
    But that's probably too much speculation. I guess it will be "just" a digial Leica Minizoom without Viewfinder.

In regards to the x2 being outdated and the rx1... no doubt the RX1 is a great camera which offers excellent IQ in a solid built camera.
    For some it is just the right size, for others (including myself) it is not small enough to be a pocket camera (x2 or Coolpix A or the new Ricoh are better in this regard) and for a bigger camera I would prefer the handling and flexibility (exchange lenses) of a Leica M or a Fuji XE.
    What I am trying to say...I don't even feel the x2 to be outdated (even though right now I prefer the wider Coolpix A due to the 28mm lens)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As one who hasn't dipped back down into this type of consumer camera in decades, it is a bewildering array of choices available.

So, I think Leica may be trying to consolidate their whole branding efforts under the banner of the M marquis. Why M? Because it is their greatest branding leverage.

Long time rangefinder photographers may bristle at the thought of any nano, micro, mini M designations as weak pretenders to the throne ... just as die-in-the-wool Mercedes drivers may wince at the thought of a C250 mini Benz in their garage ... but to other potential buyers, it is still a Mercedes Benz ... as evidenced by the big fat tri-star front grill branding device.

If the leak is true, and I think it is, it's no accident that the Mini looks like a small M6.

Frankly, I'd be more interested if the aperture were a bit faster ... but it isn't, so I'm not.

- Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Using the "M" brand might help to sell such cameras, but in a long term it also could hurt the "M" brand.
    I think they should have just continued using "M" just for their rangefinder line and also I believe they should have continued their numbering system for the M.
    I have the feeling to many marketing people in the game now at Leica (but not enough production people).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

So, I think Leica may be trying to consolidate their whole branding efforts under the banner of the M marquis. Why M? Because it is their greatest branding leverage.

- Marc
    They should put the S in that lineup and call it the macro M of the family. Obviously, they will not be bringing in the orphaned R system in to the news .

I think Leica feel slighted by Hasselblad and Lunar.

It is high time they brought out a limited number, white edition of the M.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    They should put the S in that lineup and call it the macro M of the family. Obviously, they will not be bringing in the orphaned R system in to the news .

I think maxi-M or super-M (SM ) would be even better for the S.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Super M" sounds good.

I hope "SM" is not an abbreviation for something else (many choice words come to my mind. I am trying to figure out why a pathetic Leica badged plastic hot shoe cover for the MM/M9 costs US $60/piece!).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using the "M" brand might help to sell such cameras, but in a long term it also could hurt the "M" brand.
    I think they should have just continued using "M" just for their rangefinder line and also I believe they should have continued their numbering system for the M.
    I have the feeling to many marketing people in the game now at Leica (but not enough production people).
    I serious doubt it'll hurt the M flagship any more than a $35,000 C Class Mercedes hurts a $150,000 MB, or a $600 Nikon 1 J3 has any effect on a $6,000 D4, ect.

Consumers are well aware that a Brand's equity may be used to promote lesser versions of the product line ... and it hasn't stopped anyone yet.

... But don't let history and logic get in the way of the undulating emotional outcries that seem to accompany anything Leica does.

- Marc

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Super M" sounds good.

I hope "SM" is not an abbreviation for something else (many choice words come to my mind. I am trying to figure out why a pathetic Leica badged plastic hot shoe cover for the MM/M9 costs US $60/piece!).
    I'd take an SM over an M any day

Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The S line is a completely different target audience, and there is no historical brand equity to draw from other than expertise in making optics ... none of which were AF, or leaf shutter for that matter.

If Leica had continued beating its financial head against the R wall they very well may not have been around to bring us the MM or the M240.

Yeah, Leica is jealous as hell about the Hasselblad Lunitic camera ... because every camera maker longs to be ridiculed and laughed at.

BTW. who cares if Leica makes limited edition cameras? Opps, I guess you are. What if they bring out a while MM? Will you sell your MM because of it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Undulating emotional outcry"

A pity that it relates to photography where all that gets tied up.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW. who cares if Leica makes limited edition cameras? Opps, I guess you are. What if they bring out a (while) white MM? Will you sell your MM because of it?
    No. But I will not try to paint it white either.

As I have mentioned several times, I still can not understand what drove Leica to bring out the MM in the first place.

Somethings in life will remain mystery forever. Not going to split my hairs over it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I serious doubt it'll hurt the M flagship any more than a $35,000 C Class Mercedes hurts a $150,000 MB, or a $600 Nikon 1 J3 has any effect on a $6,000 D4, ect.

Consumers are well aware that a Brand's equity may be used to promote lesser versions of the product line ... and it hasn't stopped anyone yet.

... But don't let history and logic get in the way of the undulating emotional outcries that seem to accompany anything Leica does.

- Marc
    At least Mercedes doesn't call the A-class "micro-S-class".

But anyway, I like some Leica products a lot and I am kind of glad that Leica are so successful.
    12 years ago my dream was a digital Leica M. In this time you could buy a Noctilux in very good condition for 1000 Euro and the future for the M-line looked worse (no futre in digital world) than that for the R-line.
    Today we already have the third generation digital M.
    Also I think nobody expected the S-line to be that successful, but it seems to be successful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape for the micro, nano, mini, whatever "M" references. They has always used the M to market the other brands. A few years back the D-Lux 4 was referred to as "the of the M8..." on the Leica website. Whether or not the marketing works I can't say for certain but I did buy a D-Lux 4 (mainly because it came with better photo software and warranty than the Panasonic version.) I've also bought two M9's (regular and -P.) Again I wouldn't mind the concept of having a "Mini-M" but that leaked camera (if it's the real thing) doesn't interest me at all.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

+1!

I think the use of "M" should be for those cameras that are part of the interchageable M lens system, not different than "X" cameras are part of the X, X2 system etc. They have the Leica red ot to tie them all together no different than Mercedes uses different letters to designate their different classes of cars They have their tri-star emblem to tie all their cars together.

These other leica cameras have no more in common with the traditional Leica M mount line that say the current Leica S bodies and lenses.

I may be mistaken, but I also can't believe that attaching the letter "M" to the name of these other cameras will help additional sales above and beyond what they might otherwise get. The branding of Leica and the red dot does that. Just my thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think maxi-M or super-M (SM ) would be even better for the S.
    There is another possibility which is open to one's own interpretations-

MiniM Minimum, MinimuM, MiniMum...

Mini? Mum.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It'll be interesting to see what this new Leica actually is. Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of their hats.
    Reading the responses here, there might be a little more excitement for a bunny. And one with a cute little red nose.

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't understand this fixation with the Mini-M name. There is no such a thing. The camera is called X-Vario and is a member of the X series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could it be there are two announcements on the way ?

And the so-called 'leak' doesn't mention the Mini designation with one word.

Are we jumping into conclusions about what we see in that illustration ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The M tags are just for the advertising. They are not official model designations. They won't appear on a single product advertisement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Mini M ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post

Most don't need the illustration to jump to conclusions.:sleep006:
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post

Actually, no.

It is the "Nano M" and the "Micro M" which are displayed proudly at the official Leica site which scream SM (use your imagination here).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Most don't need the illustration to jump to conclusions.:sleep006:

Where is that "silent majority"? Is that out of the usage nowadays?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people want... and surely even Leica would not be crazy enough to hype.

And other the other hand, I've paid attention on this forum and others as those who seem closer to Leica have hinted that there is something else and truly "M" related...

Then, even Leica says "come see the truth" on their FB page, implying that what's been leaked is not everything, or not what's really being released.

At the very least, I'm reserving my anger and disappointment for the 11th, and not sooner!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFlores View Post
    Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people want...
    I think that should read "Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people on this forum want...".

Most potential customers for this camera don't know the difference between an f-stop and a brake pad anyway. It's a nice looking camera, probably handles nicely as well, there will be photos coming out at the other end and the brand is well known for... something, with a certain flair of bygone times. They should of course make a "Great Gatsby" edition for twice the price also. That one could be white or pink or whatever

Do I see Leonardo DiCaprio carrying one? Absolutely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFlores View Post
    Hmm. So on one hand you have this ridiculous "leaked" camera few people want... and surely even Leica would not be crazy enough to hype.

And other the other hand, I've paid attention on this forum and others as those who seem closer to Leica have hinted that there is something else and truly "M" related...

Then, even Leica says "come see the truth" on their FB page, implying that what's been leaked is not everything, or not what's really being released.

At the very least, I'm reserving my anger and disappointment for the 11th, and not sooner!
    Anger?

Has Dr. Schopf bopped you one on the nose? It is just a new camera.. If you don't like it don't buy it. I don't buy 99.99% of the new cameras coming to the market.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

An X2 clone with a slow zoom lens,...... a 'parts bin special'?

C'mon guys, look on the bright side, the Olympus E-P5 will be in the shops soon and that won't need hype to sell it.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Do I see Leonardo DiCaprio carrying one? Absolutely!
    In that case I also see that he would get paid for doing so.

If few or no one in this forum would want this camera then those defending it by tooth and nail should calm down a bit (or get DiCaprio shooting his grand children posting here. )

Mini Mum.

Post Thanks / Like

If few or no one in this forum would want this camera then those defending it by tooth and nail should calm down a bit (or get DiCaprio shooting his grand children posting here. )

Mini Mum.
    Sorry but since the first page of this thread, I have yet to read one meaningful post from you. All what I read is sarcasm and taking jabs at other members. Sorry again for being blunt but I think you should calm down a bit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread is about a vaporware and some teasers, keep that in mind. You are assuming too much to to think that I am taking jabs at other members. I am only talking about the rumor and the designation "Mini M".

If I see someone saying it as an "exciting product" , I would like to see why they would do that.

BTW, I have absolutely no qualms about resigning from a thread or excluding myself from a forum.

Let me add here that if you have any complaints about me, the best thing to do would be to send a request to the Admins of this site. I respect their vision and abide by it. Taking personal potshots at me in a rumor thread is worth less.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Sorry but since the first page of this thread, I have yet to read one meaningful post from you. All what I read is sarcasm and taking jabs at other members. Sorry again for being blunt but I think you should calm down a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Straw man argument. Not surprising.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mini Mum.
    Really?

Pro, con, for or against ... it's just a discussion. We are all free to discuss, speculate, etc as we see fit, not as you see fit.

The mods will slap the back of the head of anyone getting out of hand, not you.

Speak your mind anyway you wish, but don't tell me how to feel or think about anything ... I already have a wife that is an expert at doing that

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I think there maybe more agreement in these posts than we are seeing . This group is serious about their photography and generally heavily vested in Leica equipment . We want Leica to be successful ..but also want them to continue creating unique and exceptional products . The S and MONO come to mind . While not every member will find them good fits for their applications ..most would agree..Leica seems to have gotten those two products right .

Even the X1/X2 products ..which I found unexciting ....fit a void for some photographers and are capable of producing noteworthy photographs . Image quality is fitting for a Leica and they make nice travel cameras often as a second camera to an S2 or MF system . They fit a niche .

The Panasonic rebrands ...I grown to accept as necessary supplements to Leicas product lines . Not for me but they have their place .

The concern thats beneath the surface ...is Leica becoming another luxury brand to be added to the streets with Guccu,Chanel and Louis Vuitton . It certainly seems headed in that direction . Will the products we have grown to love (some of us over a lifetime) become trinkets of the rich and famous .

Personally I applaud well designed products ...the Sony Rx1 ,the Olympus OM and the Fuji X Pro1 ..all have an appeal . None are perfect but each seems to a serious tool for serious photographers .

What is irritating (sorry it just is ) is the marketing trend ..someone else can label it . The new M has been a disappointment . The launch,the hype ,the same old excuses for Leica give me pause . The M has great improvements over the technology in the M9 but the hype is about a half assed EVF and video ? Nine months from introduction and no real answers to the color issues .

So when Leica puts out a campaign about a new product as being exciting ..who are they speaking to if not serious photographers . The rich and famous don t read the blogs or visit the Leica website ......so it seems fair that they are talking to us .

It also seems fair to have expectations that Leica will come up with a unique and high quality product ...for sure at a Leica price ...but it has to be an excellent camera . And I would hope somehow relevant to the serious photographers that take the time to read their blog .

So it is frustrating to see rumors of an X body with a fixed zoom ...I can t seem to see that as exciting in the same way the MONO was ...but I am surely expecting too much ?
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Roger,

I agree with a great deal of what you expressed above and although I believe Leica markets cameras who's placement is well below the M and M9 differently that their flagship models, I still think its reasonable for those here on Leica related forums to expect something that represents a camera that adds something of value to their already existing line of cameras. It may not be as groundbreaking or noteworthy as a MM or S but nevertheless most do hope it's a camera that can be versatile enough with the appropriate amount of performance, to possibly consider adding it as a camera we'd use along side our M's or MF, or simply by itself, by virtue of what it can do both performance wise and often time ergonomically. If it's simply a "me too" type camera or something that already exists in Leica's lower end of offerings with a slight change or twist (such as adding a zoom lens), than I think many on the blogs/forums are going to be disappointed.

Marketing for Leica has certainly changed and if a company is going to go through the route of trying to generate excitement about a new potentially interesting product, then they are taking the risk of disappointing a lot of their user base if their hype doesn't match expectations for the product. That's a risk a company takes when they initiate a marketing campaign such as the one for this new camera.

What perplexes me somewhat is Leica has been so innovative with their higher end products and yet so run of the mill (and often times well below that) with their lower end. I realize often times they are marketed at a different set of users but even so, I sometimes feel these lower end products fail to excite, even with targeted users, except for having the red Leica badge (dot).

I think a company like Leica can succeed at satisfying both objectives with a little imagination and effort. Just look how the M9 eventually not only won approval with the vast majority of Leica users but also brought in a whole new cadre of purchasers simply by word of mouth how groundbreaking and noteworthy the M0 camera was. They can apply this same principal to a lower priced entry level M, if that is their objective with this new camera...or conversely, if it's part of the X series, also do something that many will stand up and take notice of. That's I believe has always been Leica's heritage in terms of success.

Dave (D&A)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problem is Dave as I see it . Leica is putting all there resources behind the M and S. These little cams are fill in the gaps revenue. Reason being they can use existing technology dont have to throw a lot of people at it or worse the space to do it. Leica was limited on space in Solms , now they have moved. But floor space, people, R&D for these cams takes a back seat to there money winners. I think any company would do that. My bet is a lot of the small cams are farmed out as well and its looked at as just ongoing revenue products to support there bigger guns. I think if anyone of us was in charge and faced space, R&D and work force we would make the same decisions. Also building these small cams bring in the branding and move these buyers up eventually as well. It's a important part of the revenue, branding train but looked at internally as low end neccasary product that's for the P&S buyers with just a little more luxury item than a Canon S90. We are back at squarely the luxury, cool market that I shoot a Leica type mentality. If you know what I mean. I'm much more stylish than my neighbor type thinking. I know maybe not the nicest thing to say but bottom line its vanity. It's like my wife's company everyone wants to be the next Katie Holmes or Ashton Kutcher. Which they both came from her model and talent conventions. If I can phrase the thinking here I wanna look like a star I wanna be like a star and I wanna show my neighbor I'm cooler than ****. This is exactly what Leica is banking on.

Otherwise it makes zero sense to spend 2k when a 600 dollar cam is actually better. It's the brand and what's behind that brand name. Do we all honestly think Louis Vuitton, Gucci, David Yurman (jewelry) products are really that much better functionally than a Kate Spade purse or Worse a Samsonite luggage bag. Hell even I have luxury brands that make zero sense and 99 percent of this forum does as well on any pick a product in your home and you will see what I mean. TVs are a great example
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    So it is frustrating to see rumors of an X body with a fixed zoom ...I can t seem to see that as exciting in the same way the MONO was ...but I am surely expecting too much ?
    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    What perplexes me somewhat is Leica has been so innovative with their higher end products and yet so run of the mill (and often times well below that) with their lower end. I realize often times they are marketed at a different set of users but even so, I sometimes feel these lower end products fail to excite, even with targeted users, except for having the red Leica badge (dot).
    HI Roger David - I agree that it's not exciting, but strangely enough it is unique. (APS-C camera with fixed zoom). It really isn't a me too camera - the nearest comparison is the (even more boring) Canon GX1 - which has a smaller sensor and a slow zoom lens.

I imagine there's enough of a market, even if it isn't for forum geeks (myself included): We can probably trust the ergonomics (at least, if you like the X ergonomics generally) - if the image quality is good, then it'll have a definite place in the world - without any really obvious competition. . . . Of course - you could have an XE1 or an OMD with a zoom - but I know plenty of people who are interested in photography, take good photos but really don't want an interchangeable lens camera. These people don't read forums, camera reviews, or specification sheets. . . . . . . but they do buy cameras, and some of them have money too!

all the best

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unique for Leica butttttttttttttt. Everyone else has at least one in there lineup. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Unique for Leica butttttttttttttt. Everyone else has at least one in there lineup. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I'm a smart *** too. Lol