Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mini M?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Mini M?

Well, we have a historical case of Leica making something closer to the M rangefinders--the CL. The CL was a nice little camera, but its run did not last. Minolta thought giving it some more electronics would help. The CLE did not last either.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Unique for Leica butttttttttttttt. Everyone else has at least one in there lineup. LOL
    No they don't Guy
    As far as I'm aware there isn't a single alternative fixed zoom camera with an APS-C sized sensor. Made by anyone. And as far as I'm aware there never has been (digital that is)
    Or am I going mad!

Yea I'm a smart *** too. Lol
    Not that smart then

. . . . . . . . . . .

Of course, there could be a good reason for this

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Such a furor over a little camera.

But Leica cameras are positioned as luxury items and have been for decades. And the essence of luxury is an intangible sense that the product is somehow different and better than what your peers are using. We willingly buy into the mythos because it seems fun to do so.

The biggest problem with this alleged new M Mini isn't the camera itself, but the sense that Leica has slipped and given us a glimpse of the man hiding behind the curtain. Either that, or we're simply not Leica's target audience for this product. Whatever! It's not worth losing sleep over.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    No they don't Guy
    As far as I'm aware there isn't a single alternative fixed zoom camera with an APS-C sized sensor. Made by anyone. And as far as I'm aware there never has been (digital that is)
    Or am I going mad!
    All the other manufacturers are just too lazy to attach it at the factory. Some assembly required.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    And the essence of luxury is an intangible sense that the product is somehow different and better than what your peers are using. We willingly buy into the mythos because it seems fun to do so.
    I am not one of them. The MM (the latest of the Leica that I own) was/is actually the cheapest monochrome camera anywhere (another reason why I was scratching my head)!

If there is a, say, a NEX monochrome or a Ricoh monochrome, I would buy it immediately and they may be far more versatile (if there is live view and such) than a mechanical RF camera.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

J
    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    All the other manufacturers are just too lazy to attach it at the factory. Some assembly required.
    There is super glue
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I for one wonīt be standing in line for this one (if the leaked info turns out to be true).

But I am one of these ancient Digilux 2 lovers. And lots of people have been saying for years: "If only Leica updated the D 2 with a larger sensor, faster processor &c, &c, and kept the control layout and the incredible zoom lens".

Now, (if, again, this is indeed true), they seem to have done precisely that, as far as the laws of optics allow. A 28-90 (equiv) f/2-2.4 zoom for a large sensor isnīt realistic, either in size and weight or cost. So they had to give up speed (and some range) to get a working compromise.

They tried; maybe they failed. But donīt laugh them out of court for trying!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Guy

The designer of the Leica Mini-M web campaign
    in a Robert Capa reenactment ceremony

Just this guy you know
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shot. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

J

There is super glue
    I have more important issues to deal with (if I had recorded the tirade that went on after this picture, most would appreciate how nice it is to be snapping dolls in remote lands).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Leica MM, P.C-Nikkor 105/2.5, The Hague

In front of the Dutch Parliament! The handsome looking fellow, egged on by that woman...well, as always, i am careful to show my subjects in good light.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

What is the point of a "teaser" campaign that is read and discussed on the forums .if the product turns out to be of little interest to the majority of readers ? Thats the inconsistency .

The Panasonic rebrands are pretty good cameras (we have had two in our family and they were both really loved ) ..they have style and the Leica Red Dot and sell at prices that seem reasonable even if a little higher than the Panasonics .

If the new Mini is the camera between the x1/x2 and the new M ..it has to be a pretty decent camera to justify spending $3-4K . At that level ..you can t have the majority of enthusiasts panning the camera . Like the x1/x2 you would want a camera thats not an M but enough to be a good value to those that understand what Leica has to offer .

My point ..don t aim a campaign at your loyal customer base thats concerned about your future direction (luxury brand) and offer a product aimed at exploiting the brand ....and expect an enthusiast response . I think thats what is causing the rub ...just like HB did with the lunar .

Lets see what they bring on June 11th .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Roger
    Whatever the virtues of the camera I'd have said the teaser campaign was a disaster!

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It would be interesting to track the sales of mini M and m4/3 stick-on logos. I am sure that some will buy this camera, but will they disguise it by hiding the red dot?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    It would be interesting to track the sales of mini M and m4/3 stick-on logos. I am sure that some will buy this camera, but will they disguise it by hiding the red dot?
    Per has it. Lots of people have asked for this camera as a replacement for the Digilux 2 over the years (if the leaks are right), and it IS unique as a fixed zoom APS-c camera (whatever Guy may say).

The effective depth of field is roughly the same as the Digilux 2 and the smaller aperture should be made up with better high ISO.

Don't want it? Fine, I don't want it either (just like I didn't want a Digilux2). But I don't see the problem with the concept, and if its good I'm sure it'll sell.

But calling it a Mini-M. Pshaw!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May be "unique" (APS-C zoom P&S) for a few days or weeks but surely unlikely to last for more than that.

New RX rumblings: (UPDATED) Messages to sources that sent me rumors today… | sonyalpharumors

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly calling all their camera line up M wasn't the smartest idea. Mini, micro, nano got you guys all worked up, but it was obvious from the beginning the only M in that teaser is the M and the rest is like cute nicknames for their consumer line up. Therefore I fully agree that the teaser campaign was very misleading and misrepresenting to the actual product, which is NOT in an intermediate position between the M and the X2. It is just another model in the X family. if I was running Leica, the people responsible for this total marketing blunder would be fired. The camera itself, the X-Vario, is a nice product, but it was grossly misrepresented which created very high expectations and inevitable frustration in the Leica fan club.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    May be "unique" (APS-C zoom P&S) for a few days or weeks but surely unlikely to last for more than that.

New RX rumblings: (UPDATED) Messages to sources that sent me rumors today… | sonyalpharumors
    Well, then there will be two! Hardly a crowded market place!
    Sheesh I don't know why I'm defending this thing. I just see a clear disconnect between a chronically inept advertising campaign and a product which appears to have some possible consumer appeal.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the wit, Jono. But with you being British, it may be a bit too much if I were to expound on what "unique" means.

I will try anyway.

Monochrome camera with full frame sensor that is current and accessible- the Leica MM. Unique.

Monochrome still picture camera or back that is the cheapest in the market and quite likely to remain so for quite a long time to come- the Leica MM. Unique.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the wit, Jono. But with you being British, it may be a bit too much if I were to expound on what "unique" means.
    Hi Vivek. It this context, unique simply relates to:

Large sensor (APS-c or larger) camera with a built in zoom lens

That's not too obscure. If you can tell me another camera like this I'll eat another of my tasty hats.

Value judgements aren't that relevant here

Likely to remain unique about as long as a full frame monochrome camera I'd say

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sheesh I don't know why I'm defending this thing.
    Hi Jono, That makes two of us. Rather unique.

REX-10 has been rumored for quite a while. This will sit (if it shows up and with a zoom) in between the REX-1 and the 10.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, That makes two of us. Rather unique.

REX-10 has been rumored for quite a while. This will sit (if it shows up and with a zoom) in between the REX-1 and the 10.
    Never heard of the RX-10. And your link to Sony rumours wasn't helpful. Still, if they do it I'm sure it'll be great. . . . .and that I won't want that either
    There's also rumours of a monochrome D800. So I guess we're quits on the unique front.
    Time for tea and a nice bottle of Graves!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow! I never heard that!

If there is a monochrome DSLR that would be the second in the camera history and the second with a full frame (not throwing this in with any intention to be contradictory or argumentative but they are the facts).

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had time to read through the entire thread and have only captured a small appreciation of the disappointment to the Mini M, however, I haven't quite formed an opinion yet since I haven't seen or heard anything official or near yet!

Although I will say it goes under my mirrorless category and two main disappointments about this market still hold true for me.
    1) Manual focus
    2) Phase detection sensor (or in part) with Continuous Auto Focus.

Also every "fixed lens" mirrorless still hovers around the 35mm region and newer cameras going at 28mm. The exception being with Sigma Merrils. I know this is still a favorite normal wide focal length for many photographers who like street shooting or environmental portraits, however, I still find 50mm and higher a personal choice.

If the mini M can address at least better manual focusing, it'll probably be the first! Having owned the M9, X1 and X2 in the past. If the Mini M builds on the stylish X2 with further speed refinements and handling, I'd probably take a look despite the rumored slower zoom lens. If quality is there, it can be a fun camera. At the least it may offer me a focal length that I will like. Futher, there's nothing new to Leica leaving us wanting for more. They've always offered exception lens quality but little else. So what's new? Not the price.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My feeling is if it's an X2 with zoom lens thaen the enthusiasm for this camera will be relatively short lived and it's target audience somewhat limited by what is and will be available by other manufacturers.

On the other hand if they could take this same upcoming APS sized sensor camera and essentially make it a interchangeable M mount camera and introduce the same zoom lens (for Aps cropped sensors of course), I trhink it would appeal to a very wide audience...both enthusiasts here on the forums as well as the general public. It will kiss two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I don't disagree with you there! I'm hoping they build off of the X2, obviously functionality like the M9 is desirable, but there is no denying the X2 compactness in size. Built in viewfinder of some type without a hump. Honestly the designers behind the EVF humps are a disgrace! A camera should either have it built in or NOT offer one to begin with! (Arguable I know!)

My eyes are on Sony to be honest :P

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow! I never heard that!

If there is a monochrome DSLR that would be the second in the camera history and the second with a full frame (not throwing this in with any intention to be contradictory or argumentative but they are the facts).
    Ummm... more like the umpteenth. Kodak made a whole bunch of them, starting in the late eighties:

EO, 1.4MP, Dec. 1987 (Canon F1) (succeeded by the "Tactical")
    Hawkeye II, 1.3MP, May 1989 (Nikon F3)
    DCS DM3 (a.k.a. DCS 100), 1.3MP, May 1991 (Nikon F3)
    DCS 200M (and 200MI), 1.5MP, Aug. 1992 (Nikon N8008s)
    DCS 420M, 1.5MP, Aug. 1994 (Nikon N90s)
    DCS 460M, 6MP, Dec. 1994 (Nikon N90s)
    EOS DCS 1M, 6MP, Dec. 1995 (Canon EOS-1N)
    EOS DCS 3M, 1.3MP, July 1995 (Canon EOS-1N)
    EOS DCS 5M, 1.5MP, Dec. 1994 (Canon EOS-1N)
    DCS 560M, 6MP, Sept. 1998 (Canon EOS-1N)
    DCS 660M, 6MP, Dec. 1999 (Nikon F5)
    DCS 760m, 6MP, Jul. 2001 (Nikon F5)
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    To me, the beauty of Leica 35mm is the rangefinder. If you don't need that, there are a lot of great options out there.
    There is nothing in 24 x 36 with this size and lenses quality on the market actually, that's the only reason why I bought a Leica M9 and now a M 240

The only problem of M for me are the limitations of the rangefinder and no AF lenses, as soon as another company release something similar with EVF and AF lenses I'll certainly sell all my Leica M gear
    Leica M

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Ummm... more like the umpteenth. Kodak made a whole bunch of them, starting in the late eighties:

EO, 1.4MP, Dec. 1987 (Canon F1) (succeeded by the "Tactical")
    Hawkeye II, 1.3MP, May 1989 (Nikon F3)
    DCS DM3 (a.k.a. DCS 100), 1.3MP, May 1991 (Nikon F3)
    DCS 200M (and 200MI), 1.5MP, Aug. 1992 (Nikon N8008s)
    DCS 420M, 1.5MP, Aug. 1994 (Nikon N90s)
    DCS 460M, 6MP, Dec. 1994 (Nikon N90s)
    EOS DCS 1M, 6MP, Dec. 1995 (Canon EOS-1N)
    EOS DCS 3M, 1.3MP, July 1995 (Canon EOS-1N)
    EOS DCS 5M, 1.5MP, Dec. 1994 (Canon EOS-1N)
    DCS 560M, 6MP, Sept. 1998 (Canon EOS-1N)
    DCS 660M, 6MP, Dec. 1999 (Nikon F5)
    DCS 760m, 6MP, Jul. 2001 (Nikon F5)
    Nice collation!

Any idea how many units of each were produced/sold and how much they cost?

The DCS 760m, 6MP price was US $10,000/- in 2001.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Leica's forte is their optics. If I were Leica, this new camera would be a compact mirrorless body with the M mount. No coupled RF system, just focus peaking and simple 100% zoom for critical focusing. I can't imagine they would introduce another X series camera and call it a Mini M. I also miss my Digilux 2 which sits broken in my office, but I doubt any fixed zoom lens camera from Leica could compete with M4/3 or Sony NEX cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

No they don't Guy
    Or am I going mad!
    There is the Canon G1X, which has 1.8X crop (nearly APS-C) sensor: Canon PowerShot G1 X Review: Digital Photography Review

And in the past there was the Sony R1, which was 1.5X crop APS-C: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Review: Digital Photography Review

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    There is the Canon G1X, which has 1.8X crop (nearly APS-C) sensor: Canon PowerShot G1 X Review: Digital Photography Review

And in the past there was the Sony R1, which was 1.5X crop APS-C: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Review: Digital Photography Review
    Thank You Amin
    The Canon doesn't count (it's much nearer to ĩ43), but I'd forgotten about the Excellent R1 - Clearly a camera to emulate (but possibly not it's size!)

I'll have to eat my unique hat - but still, it was a while ago, so I think your exception rather proves my point! (in the same way that Jorgen's exceptions do , really prove Viveks).

All the best

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice collation!

Any idea how many units of each were produced/sold and how much they cost?

The DCS 760m, 6MP price was US $10,000/- in 2001.
    Not many, in some cases less than 10, and some were only sold to the US military. There's a document somewhere... here:

http://www.nikonweb.com/files/DCS_Story.pdf

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jorgen! Great document!

Megavision (MegaVision Home) make (current)/sell monochrome backs as well as the achromatic + of phase (may be there is more recent version) as well.

What I said earlier about the uniqueness of the Leica MM being the current, accessible and the cheapest, is still correct.

There is one major factor that technically sets the MM apart as being unique. I am waiting for Leica themselves to recognize that (I have not seen anyone from Leica say it) and expound on it rather than me saying it in a post here.

Post Thanks / Like

New rumour - Well, this is something different (source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...997734&type=1:
    - ErlingMM

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed a lot more interesting. 27-75mm with f/2.8-4.0 and 24mpix.

I wish for image stabilization, and would actually rather have 16mpix (with lower noise). This does look a bit interesting, if the collapsible size can be like the X2. Otherwise I could just buy the 12-35/2.8 zoom for my OM-D, I guess.
    Leica Monochrom, Olympus EM-5, Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

I donīt buy the APS-C with 27-75mm f/2.8-4 equivalent lens. Would be huge.
    M9, Summicron 28mm, Summarit 90mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    I donīt buy the APS-C with 27-75mm f/2.8-4 equivalent lens. Would be huge.
    The Fuji is a f 2.8-4.0, 18-55mm (27-88mm equivalent) and far from being huge and with 300 g quite light weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the feeling that Leica is screwing with us

I think the "leaks" were intentional.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    I have the feeling that Leica is screwing with us

I think the "leaks" were intentional.
    Yeah, "Leak the Weak", then after everyone is all miffed-off on the Leica Lovers Lane forums, hit em with the real thing ... which still won't be what everyone thinks they want, but not as bad as they thought ... and by then all the critics have exhausted their bitching.

- Marc
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Other venues exist for unsensored and decent discussions. The original leak (quoted by many outfits), mirrorlessrumors, for example.

Post Thanks / Like

If it would be what the latest teaser suggests including a decent (2.3MP EVF) this would be my camera for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

per leica rumors leica has updated it's teaser photo and added text indicating a "larger than usual sensor for its relatively small body." the box is open a bit more, too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by patk View Post
    per leica rumors leica has updated it's teaser photo and added text indicating a "larger than usual sensor for its relatively small body." the box is open a bit more, too...
    OK, at least that description would blow all hopes for a full frame sensor out of the water...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    OK, at least that description would blow all hopes for a full frame sensor out of the water...
    I'm thinking APS-H or FF personally. Most mirrorless and advanced large sensor compacts have APS-C. Larger than usual suggests APS-H or FF... Or maybe I'm lying to myself.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

With a sensor larger than aps-c, the max aperture of the zoom could be explained. If it was FF, this one and a RX1 in the bag would cover a lot of needs.

Post Thanks / Like

What if it was a FF, interchangeable M mount, no RF, in a smaller body... and the zoom lens everyone is screaming about is just one of the first of a new autofocus M lens line...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFlores View Post
    What if it was a FF, interchangeable M mount, no RF, in a smaller body... and the zoom lens everyone is screaming about is just one of the first of a new autofocus M lens line...
    Our very own resident Leica employee , Thrice, has already stated that those looking for an alternative home for their M mount lenses will be disappointed.

So no such luck I am affraid .

James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFlores View Post
    I actually like this idea! And I would assume it takes at least an external EVF -the latest Olympus with 2.3MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jubbaa View Post
    Our very own resident Leica employee , Thrice, has already stated that those looking for an alternative home for their M mount lenses will be disappointed.

So no such luck I am affraid .

James
    Hmmm. If memory serves me, I thought he implied these would be good times for those who had invested in M lenses.

EDIT. I see where Thrice said that. Damn, now I'm stumped. I personally feel like any fixed lens camera will have trouble competing with the RX1 and Fuji's offerings, and if it doesn't take M lenses, then is it possible Leica could be introducing a new compact AF line of lenses....seems like a big stretch given their slow production on M lenses and bodies now.

Post Thanks / Like

I THINK THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE WANTS!!! I know I do. It would also greatly expand their business in just about every way possible. I love the M cameras, just hate (yes,everyone gasp ) rangefinder focusing. For whatever reason I just can't do it accurately. Wish I could, would LOVE to use the new M!

I would take what Thrice's comments with a grain of salt about this until it's actually released. I am sure he is not allowed to divulge much information about an un-released product. I'm surprised he's been commenting on it at all.

We'll know in a week and then we can all start bitching about it, no matter what it ends up being...