The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

thrice

M users should not consider the new product a potential new home for their lenses. The Messsucher range is quite complete with M, Monochrom and M-E.

thrice

No, the new product is very exciting but for those that love the rangefinder experience and M glass it is not a replacement :)

V

Vivek

It is going to be a tiny camera with a tiny (m43rd) sensor. The new Schneider (huge) lenses made for m43rds are supposed fit them with an adapter. So, the camera registry would be less than 20mm.

V

Vivek

That is OK. Leica have made it to the main rumors site circuits. This itself is a big achievement! :thumbs:

We will know soon what is offered in the cardboard box. :)

gero

Lenses are going to be the wild card.
because the MM has dominated most of my rangefinder work. Best M I ever had.
However, I still wouldn't mind a small color sensor M that takes my M lenses
If it takes M lenses, even a crop frame would work for my needs.
- Marc
Guy, I think you are right: the m240 sensor in the size of the m8 sensor. For a lens, a zoom that would take advantage of the smaller sensor size but I hope with an M mount so that we can use these lenses. It would be a grate complement to the MM.

I wish they would make a ff foveon sensor that would take M lenses.

jubbaa

Thrice knows!! And judging by his answers in this thread we can deduce that it is not :
A digital CL
A micro 4/3 rds offering
A rangefinder M mount
An M mount period
Moving sensor
A fixed lens FF
APS interchangeable auto focus

A
So what's left that will fit between full frame rangefinder and fixed lens aps sensor ? ...If its not an M mount think it would be unlikely for Leica to bring out a whole new system , so I am going for ...
A fixed lens with a different sensor inside ( not FF , not APS )

:)

V

Vivek

Then we can look forward to the Paula Smith and the other fines editions! :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Even if they did not use the M lenses . It would be nice like Fuji to have a zoom and 3 primes in its own mount AF of course. To me that would make a viable product.

I'm not so sure Leica would follow Sonys path of a fixed lens. It certainly is limiting .

Here is something to think about from Leicas shoes. They know everyone and there bother is bolting M glass on there bodies. I'm sure there happy about it but if they built a system more designed for the smaller format and a little less money than they create a new market for themselves. Look at the new Zeiss whatever that silly name is but Leica could be designing a body for lenses like that for its own body , make a M adapter for existing M shooters and sell there line of lenses like Zeiss has been doing. That covers a lot of market folks. Lets face it mirrorless bodies are very popular right now and if there looking at the numbers many folks and even here on the forum. A lot of folks are selling off the big DSLR stuff and moving to Sony, Fuji, Oly and such. They could compete in this new market very well with the Leica branding. If it was me that is what I would do to drive the company. Bottom line this would give them 3 distinct markets, S shooter, M shooter and Mirrorless shooter.

I know that was too logical . Leica won't do it.ROTFLMAO

robertwright

The fuji X-10,20 series was very successful I think so perhaps they are doing a zoom aps-c with zooming rangefinder window but autofocus. Basically a fuji x-20 clone but bigger sensor.

I think that fits the micro-mini-nano idea, the box in the teaser is just tall enough to put a window on top of the leica x2 with a zooming viewfinder.

V

Vivek

That makes sense, although utterly boring. Instead of calling it Leica X3 they may call it Leica Mini.

iiiNelson

I think an X style camera with an APS-C or larger sensor would be very interesting to me for a smaller travel camera provided it has a fast lens (1.4-2.5-ish) and decent range (21 or 24-90 or 135.) Kinda like a modern day upgraded Digilux 2.

MikalWGrass

You guys are going to drink the cool aid and buy whatever they turn out, regardless of the quality and IQ, just because of the name.

iiiNelson

You guys are going to drink the cool aid and buy whatever they turn out, regardless of the quality and IQ, just because of the name.
Nah... The only Leica I ever bought was the M9/M9-P and D-Lux 4. Never had interest in the X because it didn't fit my wants/ needs better than other alternatives. Some people may buy everything Leica but I think most people aren't collectors here.

robertwright

funny I actually was going to buy a eos M simply because it would go in the bag and be a backup to a dropped dslr - and take no space.

didnt happen tho....