The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
New Mini M ?

I just happen to think the leak is fake, Vivek, and my guess is that the real product is better than the fake leak.

And in case the (kit) zoom is really that slow, I guess there will be some interchangeable primes as well.

V

Vivek

Let me hope that your suspicion (and that of monza's) would be correct. Otherwise, the Mini M will become future landfill material. ;)

fotografz

If true, to bad about the slow apertures ... at least for most Leica fans.

However, the market for something like this need not only be defined by expert Leica users that naturally gravitate to the M FF class of camera ... or the casual shooter who has a number of APSc cameras to select from.

Right now, since my main objective is shooting B&W work with the MM, I've slipped into the category of wanting a casual smaller color camera for the typical tourist shots with friends and family ... quite frankly mostly in good light since that's where I tend to spend winters (soon for 4 months at a time) :clap:.

A zoom is preferred so I do not have to swap lenses in beach environs, so the Sony fixed lens is not an option. Nor are some of the overly electronic wonder-cams which I've had my fill of. Neither is the $7,000 M240, which is extreme over-kill for these applications and would not get used in place of the M Monochromatic for other work (my M9P went fallow the minute the MM was in hand, so I sold it).

The real determination will be how good the lens is. Typically, when Leica slows down the aperture the IQ gets pretty good for the "relative" price ... so that remains to be seen.

At the very least it is on the radar until fully revealed on June 11 ... with a big, fat maybe. I'm more in a sell mood than a buy mood, so it has to fit the bill or it is a "no go".

- Marc

snowboarder

The RX1 body is too slim for proper handling as it is!
ridiculous.
If I worked for Leica, I would go on
vacation today to hide myself for a couple of month.
By defending this "very exciting" product,
you make a fool of yourself, sorry.
And the way you and jaap are doing it
by trashing a REALLY exciting RX1, is borderline pathetic

edouard

So IF Leica could produce a FF mini M that took M lenses... and do it at a faster rate, charge less money yet keep their margins... and still sell more... tell me again why they would be worrying about cannibalizing M24O sales?
They can barely produce enough M(9/M/240) to meet the demand, so how could they produce more (high quality, non panasonic, FF) bodies? and why? Ms are small and beautiful enough. For the price? ME and used M9(-P) are "cheap" enough...

... and this new Leica Mini not-M-but-X is awful / wrong enough ;-)

V

Vivek

Landfill fodder or timeless classic?

Leica Announces CM ZOOM Film Camera | PhotographyBLOG

The titanium body of the LEICA CM ZOOM with its elegant leather finish is reminiscent of the classic style of LEICA M system cameras.
The timeless titanium body is shockproof and affords reliable protection from many types of damage.
In our times of fast-lived digital photography, the LEICA CM ZOOM sets new standards for compact cameras with its high retention of value and timeless elegance.
The LED display is the same as the one used in the professional camera LEICA M7 and gives clear readings of the focus setting, flash readiness and shutter speed.

iiiNelson

ridiculous.
I think some of the points they're making are valid for many who have no interest in the RX1. I personally have large hands and little interest to invest $3500 in a advanced point and shoot camera. That being said I find the X cameras and all of the other large sensor fixed lens cameras to be too expensive for what they are for me. RX1 would need a built in EVF and a wide range zoom for me to spend that much money. Yes I've seen great pics for it but its way to limiting for me to spend that much on a non system camera.

KeithL

The folk I feel for are the Leica dealers; let's face it at the moment they haven't much to actually sell. Deposits on the M240 probably help but cash flow must be pretty desperate.

As far as my own prospective Leica purchases are concerned, well, if the M240 was available I'd probably be using them now. As it is I refuse to buy into a system that's not available off shelf. I'd also be looking for protection plans that include 24hr loaners, rentals and fast servicing turnaround. The problem is by the time the M240 is on those shelves it'll be time for the M360 - or whatever. And so it starts again.

thrice

ridiculous.
I was a Sony employee when I first handled the RX1. I have no problems with the camera, I just don't think the body needs to get any thinner as the post above mine suggested.

Since you asked so nicely I think it is time I bowed out of this forum as well lest I say something debased like some users do.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure why we are fighting over vapor ware at the moment. Lets chill than June 11 we can blend it and see what it does. We can resume the great user debate when we have FACTS.

Also stop saying we are leaving this great forum, I heard it several times in the last couple weeks. This is Not life or death. Your not getting hit with a baseball bat either.

douglasf13

A pity that this lens will be used for a few years only. As a P&S the RX1 will become obsolete in its class far more quickly than any digital rangefinder camera will. And a Summicron will still be around decades from now., when all RX1-s are residing in a landfill.
That would be an interesting argument if the prices were somewhat comparable, but they're not. My M9 has lost more value since being new than the entire price of the RX1, and used 35/2 ASPHs are selling for about $1200 less than new, too. That's a $4K-5K loss in a few years. The RX1 is remarkably inexpensive for what it is.

Plenty of people still happily shoot 5+ year old 5Ds, D700s, 1Dsiiis, M8s, A900s, etc., and I don't see the RX1 as being any different. High IQ, full frame cameras tend to stick around a while.

Leica makes fantastic lenses, probably the best lineup top to bottom, but there are other capable lens makers. I think it's still all about the rangefinder. This rumored fixed zoom camera looks misguided, to me, especially if it is more expensive than the RX1.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That would be an interesting argument if the prices were somewhat comparable, but they're not. My M9 has lost more value since being new than the entire price of the RX1, and used 35/2 ASPHs are selling for about $1200 less than new, too.

Plenty of people still happily shoot 5+ year old 5Ds, D700s, 1Dsiiis, M8s, A900s, etc., and I don't see the RX1 as being any different.

Leica makes fantastic lenses, probably the best lineup top to bottom, but there are other capable lens makers. I think it's still all about the rangefinder. This rumored fixed zoom camera looks misguided, to me.
Don't feel bad, medium format users are pulling there hair out on depreciation. Actually if we look historically at this. Leica glass is maybe one of the better investments. Bodies usually are not though. Be a interesting case study no doubt.

V

Vivek

This rumored fixed zoom camera looks misguided, to me, especially if it is more expensive than the RX1.
I think it is a bloody fake with couple of ringers trying to make it real. It is a deceitful campaign. Check back on this post on the 11th June.

BANKER1

As technophiles we always expect greater and greater achievement in our photographic world. Often, our expectations cannot be fulfilled in real life without significant technological breakthroughs. As much as I wanted Hasselblad to give us at least a full frame rangefinder camera that would accept Zeiss lenses, they chose to milk the reputation of their name to gain a few bucks. Other than Sony, Canon, or Nikon, most of the other and smaller camera companies simply do not have the resources to make breakthrough improvements.

I applaud Leica for bringing the M to the market, and I do not begrudge their efforts to sell other products that offer added revenue for them to apply to research and development. Just because it does not excite dedicated M users does not make it bad. At least it does not resemble the horrible Lunar. I'm still upset about that.

Greg

edwardkaraa

ridiculous.
Hahaha, I couldn't help notice you expanded your hatred posts from Leica to Leica employees! I just hope Leica owners will not be next on your list LOL

jaapv

Subscriber Member
That would be an interesting argument if the prices were somewhat comparable, but they're not. My M9 has lost more value since being new than the entire price of the RX1, and used 35/2 ASPHs are selling for about $1200 less than new, too. That's a $4K-5K loss in a few years. The RX1 is remarkably inexpensive for what it is.

Plenty of people still happily shoot 5+ year old 5Ds, D700s, 1Dsiiis, M8s, A900s, etc., and I don't see the RX1 as being any different. High IQ, full frame cameras tend to stick around a while.

Leica makes fantastic lenses, probably the best lineup top to bottom, but there are other capable lens makers. I think it's still all about the rangefinder. This rumored fixed zoom camera looks misguided, to me, especially if it is more expensive than the RX1.
But then, you are not the target customer...;)

Shashin

A pity that this lens will be used for a few years only. As a P&S the RX1 will become obsolete in its class far more quickly than any digital rangefinder camera will. And a Summicron will still be around decades from now., when all RX1-s are residing in a landfill.
LOL. I am sure a 20 year old Leica will not really be that attractive as the M23 or RX-54. And no one will want that Summicron when they can get an APO-ED-VR-AF Summicron-X Deluxe for 30 times the price.