The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Shashin

Most of the one-day wonders of more than three years old are in landfills or at the bottom of cupboards.
My Konica Hexar AF lasted more than a decade and I sold it for a very good price. I don't think my Pentax 645D is going to be put in a landfill in the next year or so. The M8 seems to have survived.

So, what really bothers you about the existence of the RX-1? It has nothing to do with the camera. It certainly has gotten under your skin.

Shashin

ridiculous.
If I worked for Leica, I would go on
vacation today to hide myself for a couple of month.
By defending this "very exciting" product,
you make a fool of yourself, sorry.
And the way you and jaap are doing it
by trashing a REALLY exciting RX1, is borderline pathetic
Chill.

V

Vivek

M users would scream "heresy and blasphemy" at the thought of an autofocus M lens. LOL
Such M users are long gone. most are shooting with an EM-5, XE-1, and NEX' and oh yes, it is the "M users" who buy the zooms first. :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree and if we can't have a discussion here without throwing personal insults than Im just going to have to be a asshole here and start wiping people out. You do not want me to get on a roll here folks. I'm busy , I have a lot of work and I'm losing my patience. :wtf:

Shashin

Look, the new Mini M is not for this the majority of this crowd. That does not make it a bad camera, that makes it a different camera. With Leica having the M, MM, and ME, it is hardly surprising that they would even want to run another rangefinder--the ME is the poor mans rangefinder.

I know that camera bashing is a common sport, but not everyone will agree that any particular camera is trash for them. (The Lunar may be the only exception--it has to excel at something.) And when you bash a camera as cr@p, you are also implying that those interested in the camera are stupid. If you want a diverse community, I would suggest camera bashing works against that. You also miss learning why some very talented photographers have found limited equipment like the RX-1 is an exciting tool--just maybe they know something you don't.

Guy Mancuso

If I may I have no interest in the RX-1 myself as it is limited for me . I like interchangeable lenses why I bought the Fuji X-E1. That does not make the Fuji better and the RX-1 bad its just my preference but a lot of folks are out there with these single lens cams like the RX-1 the Fuji 100s and having a ball with them. Bottom line if you like photography and enjoy the industry and like to see others enjoy it with you than someone else's preference has zero amount of bearing on you and frankly they may just kick your *** artistically with something you do not like. Its us that makes the images we just to have metal, plastic, electronics and glass to make it happen.

There is a very old saying one mans junk is another mans treasure. Tell me where that has changed.

No one ever said we have to all agree or even disagree for that matter but do it with respect.

V

Vivek

There is a very old saying one mans junk is another mans treasure. Tell me where that has changed.

OT

I think in the modern context of usage of the word junk- "one man's junk", yeah, it has changed. :D

I do not have any disagreement with the rest.

douglasf13

If I may I have no interest in the RX-1 myself as it is limited for me . I like interchangeable lenses why I bought the Fuji X-E1. That does not make the Fuji better and the RX-1 bad its just my preference but a lot of folks are out there with these single lens cams like the RX-1 the Fuji 100s and having a ball with them. Bottom line if you like photography and enjoy the industry and like to see others enjoy it with you than someone else's preference has zero amount of bearing on you and frankly they may just kick your *** artistically with something you do not like. Its us that makes the images we just to have metal, plastic, electronics and glass to make it happen.

No one ever said we have to all agree or even disagree for that matter but do it with respect.
Great points. The camera is rarely the weakest link in the chain, when it comes to bad photography. :)

I'm certainly not bashing this alleged new Leica, in terms of the kind of camera that it is. I think many shooters would like a fixed-zoom, aps-c camera. I'm just not sure that it's the kind of thing that should come from Leica for $3000 (if the rumors are true,) considering the other cameras on the market, but to each his/her own.

Guy Mancuso

Well 3 k is a lot of money in anyones purse for sure. I think the main thing we all look for is value spent on products that do what we want. If it does what you want it to do than really money becomes secondary. The question always remains in any system and any brand is is it worth it to you. Some folks throw money around regardless of costs and some are more value added budget minded. Hell the hobbyists that come on my workshops have far better gear than me and i work this for a living. LOL

But on the same hand I'm excited for them as they are doing what they enjoy and really end of day that is all that really counts. To me watching everyone here on this forum go out and create art is my pleasure to see. Ive done this so long now its time to watch all of you grow. It maybe the only reason i am even here ( I still learn though and thats invaluable). I enjoy seeing your images and creating art and frankly there are some really damn good shooters here. Thats the really cool part. I dont care what gear they are shooting. It all comes down to is the image killer or not.

Okay off to go shoot a gig and put food on the table.

edwardkaraa

Great points. The camera is rarely the weakest link in the chain, when it comes to bad photography. :)

I'm certainly not bashing this alleged new Leica, in terms of the kind of camera that it is. I think many shooters would like a fixed-zoom, aps-c camera. I'm just not sure that it's the kind of thing that should come from Leica for $3000 (if the rumors are true,) considering the other cameras on the market, but to each his/her own.
The thing is, Leica doesn't seem to compete with the other cameras on the market. It has a certain clientele for this kind of product, which is different from that of the M line, even if both sectors may overlap somewhat. This camera may not make sense for us M users, but for Leica's clientele, it may be an ideal option. Leica's clientele is definitely not amateurs comparing prices vs performance. It's people who buy luxury products and for them a Sony or a Fuji is not prestigious enough.

Shashin

I find the handling of the RX-1 really good. I can get a comfortable grip and you can easily hold it in many orientations. Now, if you are talking about waving it around with one hand, well, even an M would be poor for that. It is a camera, not a table tennis paddle.

Gary Clennan

It is all a matter of personal taste I suppose. I find it very tiny with almost a toy like feel. Either way, it is a great performing camera which I would love to try out for a week or so....

Last edited:

douglasf13

The thing is, Leica doesn't seem to compete with the other cameras on the market. It has a certain clientele for this kind of product, which is different from that of the M line, even if both sectors may overlap somewhat. This camera may not make sense for us M users, but for Leica's clientele, it may be an ideal option. Leica's clientele is definitely not amateurs comparing prices vs performance. It's people who buy luxury products and for them a Sony or a Fuji is not prestigious enough.
Good points, and that's why, although everyone gets mad at me about it, I always come back to equating Leica with Rolex (Hasselblad is apparently going for Patek territory with the Lunar!) Their appeal to some is very similar. Oddly enough, my automatic Seiko is currently keeping slightly better time than my Rolex. LOL

douglasf13

Much agree.... However I have yet to try one with the grip which should help greatly.
The RX1 is a little on the small side, to me, although, on the other hand, I think the M9 is a little too thick. M6 sized seems about right, but I can wave either of them like a table tennis paddle without much worry. :)

The good thing is that there are several grips and half cases out there that can be used to bulk a camera up a bit.

Paratom

Even though I can imagine that there are some people who buy Leica as a luxury product I am sure that there are many people who buy it because they feel its the best solution for them. Thats at least the reason why I use Leica M and S, but also an OMD, (and probably not a Mini M).

Guy Mancuso

Tom thats what branding is all about. Leica branding is a major reason for sales. That came with a lot of history and fact is they deserve it. No matter how anyone feels about the products this part of leica is unmistakeable. You simply have to give them credit even though they make silly Hermes and such products the fact is they actually sell that stuff. Geez i even came within inches of buying a Safari Green 28mm R elmarit. Sorry i would have looked like a idiot with that in my bag. LOL

No offense to the green collectors