The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

jonoslack

There is the Canon G1X, which has 1.8X crop (nearly APS-C) sensor: Canon PowerShot G1 X Review: Digital Photography Review

And in the past there was the Sony R1, which was 1.5X crop APS-C: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Review: Digital Photography Review
Thank You Amin
The Canon doesn't count (it's much nearer to µ43), but I'd forgotten about the Excellent R1 - Clearly a camera to emulate (but possibly not it's size!)

I'll have to eat my unique hat - but still, it was a while ago, so I think your exception rather proves my point! (in the same way that Jorgen's exceptions do , really prove Viveks).

All the best

V

Vivek

Thanks, Jorgen! Great document!

Megavision (MegaVision Home) make (current)/sell monochrome backs as well as the achromatic + of phase (may be there is more recent version) as well.

What I said earlier about the uniqueness of the Leica MM being the current, accessible and the cheapest, is still correct.

There is one major factor that technically sets the MM apart as being unique. I am waiting for Leica themselves to recognize that (I have not seen anyone from Leica say it) and expound on it rather than me saying it in a post here. ;)

pgmj

Indeed a lot more interesting. 27-75mm with f/2.8-4.0 and 24mpix.

I wish for image stabilization, and would actually rather have 16mpix (with lower noise). This does look a bit interesting, if the collapsible size can be like the X2. Otherwise I could just buy the 12-35/2.8 zoom for my OM-D, I guess.

fotografz

I have the feeling that Leica is screwing with us :D

I think the "leaks" were intentional.
Yeah, "Leak the Weak", then after everyone is all miffed-off on the Leica Lovers Lane forums, hit em with the real thing ... which still won't be what everyone thinks they want, but not as bad as they thought ... and by then all the critics have exhausted their bitching. :ROTFL:

- Marc

V

Vivek

Other venues exist for unsensored and decent discussions. The original leak (quoted by many outfits), mirrorlessrumors, for example. ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If it would be what the latest teaser suggests including a decent (2.3MP EVF) this would be my camera for sure!

patk

per leica rumors leica has updated it's teaser photo and added text indicating a "larger than usual sensor for its relatively small body." the box is open a bit more, too...

per leica rumors leica has updated it's teaser photo and added text indicating a "larger than usual sensor for its relatively small body." the box is open a bit more, too...
OK, at least that description would blow all hopes for a full frame sensor out of the water...:facesmack:
:chug:

iiiNelson

OK, at least that description would blow all hopes for a full frame sensor out of the water...:facesmack:
:chug:
I'm thinking APS-H or FF personally. Most mirrorless and advanced large sensor compacts have APS-C. Larger than usual suggests APS-H or FF... Or maybe I'm lying to myself.

retow

With a sensor larger than aps-c, the max aperture of the zoom could be explained. If it was FF, this one and a RX1 in the bag would cover a lot of needs.

AnthonyFlores

What if it was a FF, interchangeable M mount, no RF, in a smaller body... and the zoom lens everyone is screaming about is just one of the first of a new autofocus M lens line...

jubbaa

What if it was a FF, interchangeable M mount, no RF, in a smaller body... and the zoom lens everyone is screaming about is just one of the first of a new autofocus M lens line...
Our very own resident Leica employee , Thrice, has already stated that those looking for an alternative home for their M mount lenses will be disappointed.

So no such luck I am affraid .

James

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I actually like this idea! And I would assume it takes at least an external EVF -the latest Olympus with 2.3MP ;)

AnthonyFlores

Our very own resident Leica employee , Thrice, has already stated that those looking for an alternative home for their M mount lenses will be disappointed.

So no such luck I am affraid .

James
Hmmm. If memory serves me, I thought he implied these would be good times for those who had invested in M lenses.

EDIT. I see where Thrice said that. Damn, now I'm stumped. I personally feel like any fixed lens camera will have trouble competing with the RX1 and Fuji's offerings, and if it doesn't take M lenses, then is it possible Leica could be introducing a new compact AF line of lenses....seems like a big stretch given their slow production on M lenses and bodies now.

Re: New Mini M?

I THINK THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE WANTS!!! I know I do. It would also greatly expand their business in just about every way possible. I love the M cameras, just hate (yes,everyone gasp :eek: ) rangefinder focusing. For whatever reason I just can't do it accurately. Wish I could, would LOVE to use the new M!

I would take what Thrice's comments with a grain of salt about this until it's actually released. I am sure he is not allowed to divulge much information about an un-released product. I'm surprised he's been commenting on it at all.

We'll know in a week and then we can all start bitching about it, no matter what it ends up being... :ROTFL: