The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mini M?

Paratom

the new lunar is on amazon and it's definitely amazin'. i would hope hasselblad had its tongue in cheek, but i think it's more likely it had its brains where they don't belong.

i did think you were being jocular re your specs comment, but then i find even steve huff (who i don't think was kidding) going on about the rx1 being preferable to the new leica. well, yeah, but they're just not directed at the same market segment from what i can see. that's probably why i'm annoyed. leica didn't target me with its new zoom cam. but my wallet remains happy - and firmly closed.
Isnt the rx1 Sonys copy of the x1 4 years after Leica presented the x1?
OK, it is full frame, and one f-stop faster, and sturdier built, but then it is also quite a bit bigger and heavier. (Wasn't the idea to build a pockable camera with a large sensor?)
Comparing the new x vario with the rx1 doesn't make much sense to me, different cameras.
For my part my choice for a pockable large sensor camera is the Coolpix A at the moment.
For me the rx1 is a camera in between the x2 and a Leica M in regards of size and feel/user interface. Too big for some, to small for other , just right for many.
For me too close to the M. (I guess the same could be valid for the x vario)

The nice thing... except the Canon gx1 most large sensor "compacts" are prime cameras. So from now on people who like to use a zoom have an option as well.

V

Vivek

steve huff now has what he feels are all the specs on his site. says the info came from four "official" sources and he decided to go ahead and publish, since he doesn't have an nda with leica. all worst fears confirmed.
I can see why they call it the Mini M. $2850 only for the camera. The plastic hotshoe cover is $60/-.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually, if I had three grand and was in the market, the Fuji X series cameras would probably get my vote, if we are thinking of comparable systems.
Right now with the Fuji rebates going on. You can buy the E-X1, 18-55,14,18,35 and 60 for around 2800.00

fotografz

the new lunar is on amazon and it's definitely amazin'. i would hope hasselblad had its tongue in cheek, but i think it's more likely it had its brains where they don't belong.

i did think you were being jocular re your specs comment, but then i find even steve huff (who i don't think was kidding) going on about the rx1 being preferable to the new leica. well, yeah, but they're just not directed at the same market segment from what i can see. that's probably why i'm annoyed. leica didn't target me with its new zoom cam. but my wallet remains happy - and firmly closed.
The Loony is a mere $7,000 ... :shocked: ... and there are only 3 Titanium's left in stock, so hurry!

What cracks me up is that on the same Amazon page there is the Pentax 645D for the same price ... :ROTFL:

- Marc

fotografz

Really? Never heard, read, or seen anything about Leica inventing 35mm film ... ever. Not enough real stuff to bash Leica with Vivek? :rolleyes:

I can see it now, shaky grand-dads holding this camera at arm's length, wearing their reading glasses while shooting hyper grandkids @ 1/2 second inside the condo ...

Oh, wait, I'm a Granddad, wear reading glasses, and am looking at condos ... Oh, Oh!

:ROTFL:

- Marc

Paratom

. Sure, just like Leica invented the 35 mm film. :)

Hopefully, Leica can count on enough rich old grandpas to sell this Mini M. :p
I assume the rich old grandpas allready spent their money on the MM ;)
But wait...I am not a grandpa yet-am I still allowed to keep my MM?

Paratom

Tom, It is your money and your call. :)

Personally, I would invest in Fuji though : http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/46553-new-sensor-fuji-panasonic.html
Hi Vivek.
I sold my x-pro 1 which is a great camera because I found the system too close to the M-system, and while the IQ was very good I preferred the IQ of the M9/MM.
For a smaller camera when I need AF and zoom my choice is the OMD, which also has the advantage to be weatherproof. The camera doesn't handle as nice as the Fuji (IMO), and its a bit overloaded with functions, but the IQ is fine, the colors are great, and it is very fast.
So I don't really have the need for something new.
I just thought that the new Leica x vario could indeed be a nice camera, straight user interface, good iq, not too big. Of course for a Leica price.
I don't have the need for it now.

bradhusick

This camera is clearly not intended for people who participate here. If you are not an enthusiast and you walk into a Leica boutique while on vacation somewhere nice, this camera fills a niche in the wall (so to speak) and might actually sell. Look at it this way, it's cheaper than most of the Leica lenses, so you get a camera for free!

Not for me, but I already have an M.

monza

It's targeted towards the well-heeled, brand-conscious, who know nothing about photography. Those that buy watches or jewelry or artwork on a whim while on a cruise shore excursion. And Leica will probably sell as many as they want to sell; it's not about market share or volume.

philber

It's not small. It's not light. It's not fast. It's not FF. It's not interchangeable lens. It's not cheap. Meet the Leica X Vario.
That Leica should be allocating R&D resources, of which they have so few compared to their Japanese competitors, on such projects boggles the mind.
I tried one today without taking any pics. It is a very nice-feeling piece of gear. But methinks it is a lot more Maybach than Porsche...

V

Vivek

Thanks! :) That is a good sensor. Does very well in my NEX 5N' and the NEX-6's.

With the Speed Booster, well, f/0.9 is a reality at a fraction of the cost. Oh, yeah, even Leica R lenses could be used. :)

Oh, the kitzoom 18-55 that I bought from Jono is not shabby either. :)