The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware Update M Monochrom 1.002

Knorp

Firmware Update M Monochrom 1.002

Finally ...

Improvements in the M Monochrom Firmware Version 1.002
• Bugfix to improve stability in “Discreet”-Mode
• Linguistic improvements in French, Italian
• Improved stability when the camera is connected to USB

All the best.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Bart, I have absolutely no ability to figure out what the differences are between the "standard", "soft", "discreet" and the "soft and discreet" modes. :confused:

In every mode the shutter noise is very clear and loud, especially when it starts to wind up. In the continuous shooting mode, the high pitch whine is constant and continuous.

Oh, only today I noticed that the inside of the camera is a solid block of plastic. It is all covered up with a thin shell of metal.

Knorp

Hi there Vivek,

Admittedly, it's not very exiting at first glance.
But hey - it's an update FCOL !

All the very best.

V

Vivek

Isn't that also true of the Glock?
What is that? :confused:

OK, googled and found that it is a gun. Sorry, i hate guns and anything associated with it. I have absolutely no clue if they use plastic or platinum and i do not give a damn if they do or don't.

V

Vivek

Hi Bart,

I updated the camera before I posted and the qusetion regarding the different modes are real. I posted because you being a seasoned M9 user.

Btw, about the plastic. It adds to the (hardware) stability of the camera which has metla shell. Those who know something about composites would understand that.

Sony NEX-7 is similar in construction but the metal shell is not sheet metal but a weird light weight alloy which is extremely brittle (hence it defeats the purpose).

The French clean up is very useful. I have couple of French users around and they are getting better by the hour. :)

erudolph

Soft eliminates the little hitch in the pressing of the shutter release button, but when set to soft you can't half-press the button to lock exposure.

Discreet delays the recocking of the shutter until you release the button. In discreet mode you can half press to lock exposure.

Soft and discreet is both of the above.

V

Vivek

Thanks for the explanations, Ed! i will check them out. These are very subtle differences, I suppose.

Practically, it may not do anything for me (this comes from the way I use the shutter- squeeze rather than press) but it is good to know what these settings are. :)

erudolph

Discreet is a very likable mode. Attracts less attention. That's why people were bummed out by the fact that beng in Discreet mode could occasionally cause camera lookup requiring pulling out the battery. Discreet won't help if you're shooting in Continuous mode, though.

V

Vivek

I almost never use continuous mode. Discreet - hmm, i hope you have tried to listen to some of the older (well functioning) Leica Ms- the ones that can take film...

segedi

Awesome - thanks for posting this! I only used discreet once and had to remove the battery to get things to work again.

xdayv

Hopefully this addresses the lockup on the discreet mode, as i set this as my default on S mode.