Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leica X Vario - the camera formerly known as Paula

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica X Vario - the camera formerly known as Paula

Hi There
    Here is a short report on the new camera.
    I think the point here is that it's not aimed at us - but it isn't aimed at point and shooters either.

Enjoy!
    all the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica X Vario - the camera formerly known as Paula

Hi Jono,

Hope you enjoyed it!

Soft as a feather (images).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono, a very informative and pleasurable read!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hi Jono,

Hope you enjoyed it!

Soft as a feather (images).
    Hi Vivek
    I did enjoy it thank you

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, tho certainly missing something (the camera, not your review Jono!).
    Thanks for the work you put in.

P.S. http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/de/gxr/unit6.html
    My Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leica social media team just released a photo (showed up on my FB newsfeed this morning) that was taken by Yvonne Venegas using the new Vario X. The photo shows Yvonne's father shooting a model with a big Canon DSLR. What are they thinking? https://www.facebook.com/LeicaCamera

Post Thanks / Like

Meh... The review is nice. And the images look good enough, I guess. I just don't see a $3000 camera here.

Ollil makes a good point with his note about the GXR Unit...
    HeyMatthew.com // NibandInk.com
    Fuji X100T

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    The Leica social media team just released a photo (showed up on my FB newsfeed this morning) that was taken by Yvonne Venegas using the new Vario X. The photo shows Yvonne's father shooting a model with a big Canon DSLR. What are they thinking? https://www.facebook.com/LeicaCamera

I think they think not much. Just slap the label and it will sell, may be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a very happy Sony RX-1 owner, I can honestly say that I would have given the Leica X Vario serious consideration if it had been available when I bought the RX-1. I didn't give the X2 serious thought at the time because I had previously owned an X1 and wanted to try something different. The convenience of a 28-70mm zoom (albeit very slow) may have been enough to make me choose it over the 24mp full frame RX-1. The sample images that Jono posted look very promising.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, thanks for the review!

The camera is pretty much what I have predicted, a X2 with a zoom lens.
    My problem isn't the zoom lens with slightly slower apertures, but the fact that an X3 didn't arrive first. I really wanted a Fixed zoom high quality mirrorless camera and Leica delivered it. So why should I complain?

I have owned the M9, X1 and the X2. I really liked the X2, but AF was still too slow for me despite being fair bit faster than the X1. If I could only choose one thing they could have improved with the X2 was the AF speed. Sure there's more, but the rest would have been minor! Image quality has always been there!

So now we are here with the X Vario, and while processing tweaks are here, I don't think that instant AF I so wished for would be here is here! With any Leica, I love the menu layout, it's simplicity that you only want to take photos and no other fiddling. I still might take a look. I wish AF speed would still have a firmware tweak. Yes, I'm even able to overlook the slower lens.....okay maybe not!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

does seem like a re-do of the Digilux-2. no viewfinder though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I suspect it is a camera you would pick up regularly as Leica do ergonomics really well, imho. I would hope that given their credentials in lens design there is a serious reason why they chose 3.5 and 6.3 as the apertures at each end of the zoom.

I am both a RX-1 and DP2M user, plus I am now slowly divesting of my m43rds kit. Neither of my GH-2 or my RX-1 can compete the with IQ of the DP2M at base iso. However, there is no argument with the 'look' which is definitely Leica in the Mini M.

Might be tempted at some point. Would be handing over my credit card right now if it was a f2.8-f5.6 lens. Maybe wait for the Leica X2 Vario :-)

LouisB

PS One thing I would compliment Leica on and that is sticking with a 16MP sensor instead of shoehorning a 24mp sensor in.
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now, after seeing it I have to conclude it's got quite a lot from the Digilux 2 while improving substantially on it on several points.

No built-in EVF, true, but the one on the D 2 was so abysmal that I hardly ever used it during my four "D 2 years". Slower lens, true, but as Jono points out, about the same effective d o f, and several stops better ISO performance. No bounce flash, sadly missed...

Same excellent method for manual focus: just turn the ring on the lens, even without having to turn the camera on. Same fast and distinct zoom control, also on the lens barrel, and active with camera turned off.

Improvements? Resolution, of course. Also, presumably, much faster raw handling and general responsiveness. Better close-up ability, judging from Jono's images. More flexible AF. (won't even mention video; have no use for it...).

So, it really IS a generally improved Digilux 2 (like I think I pointed out here a week or so ago). Will I buy it myself? No, if only for the same reason that has made me leave my D2 in the cupboard lately: I already have my M9 that is far more capable, and this one is almost as big as the M9 with a 35 or 50 lens.

Jono, thanks a lot for an excellent review!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono-Is the little baby the reason you did not take your R 28-90 to China? If so, now I understand.

Nice review and "snaps" as you say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice read (you lucky stiff!). Thanks for posting!

But while you're mostly spot on in regards to the target market (certainly not folks who lurk these forums) here's who I think the audience is for this $3200 Leitzbox:

Like the X2* and previously the X1*--people who simply want Leica bragging rights. Pure and simple. And, following Sony's RX1 playbook, people who don't mind paying extra for an EVF or a lens hood that isn't included in its initial Everestian price.

The M, however, is in a league all its own and will remain so. Because with that wonderful piece of engineering you have a unique design proposition with access to, bar-none, the finest photo glass extant. So much so that people willingly put up their offspring on Ebay for it. (Although thanks to some of the latest camera designs adapters have created a whole new legion of 'poor man's Leicas").

Sorry, the zoom, no matter how sharp from center-to-corner it is or CA-free or vignetting controlled is embarrassingly slow for a camera this dear. (Let's be honest here...f3.5 may be 2/3 slower than an f2.8 but it is 1 2/3 slower than Sony's FF f2--albeit non-zooming--Zeiss that comes in $400 less!) Today Leitz isn't the last word in zoom optics as they are with M primes. In the compact camera arena names like Fuji, Panasonic (who no doubt picked a thing or two on lens design from Leica) and Olympus arguably have equal if not better offerings with their cams. (I'd be curious to see how a $1200 f2.8 18-55mm zoom-clad Fuji X-E1 with its AA-filter less 16 Mp X-trans sensor fares against the X Vario.)

FORTUNATELY from the inittial results posted it looks like noise control as high as ISO 6400 could help compensate for the slowness of optic. The BW shots look extremely promising. Let's hope color is good too.

And as far as the D2 comparison? Where does this come from? To paraphrase the late U.S. Sen. Lloyd Bentson during the 1988 Vice Presidential debate (or whooping) with Dan Quayle...I know the D2. The D2 was a friend of mine. The X Vario is no D2. The D2 had a built in EVF (albeit a crappy one) and an f2 SUMMICRON (although IQ-wise X Vario's zoom may be better). And a HOOD!!! Big difference IMHO. (The 16 Mp APS-C sensor, however, is a nice improvement, though. )

On a good note, from your description I do like that it appears to be very well made and that the hallmark, Leica DNA that insists on control simplicity is evident throughout. And I'm sure, speed-wise, X Vario will more than meet the photographic needs of the vast majority of picture takers who take it out on nice sunny days. (Most people simply aren't sent off to cover Wimbledon or the French Open for Sports Illustrated, right?)

So I've no doubt that people who do purchase this new camera will enjoy it.

Because at $3200 they'll have every incentive to.

*Both great cams. Just a similarly debatable capability vs price equation.
    Last edited by peterb; 11th June 2013 at 13:24.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for the nostalgia buff...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Nice impression/review.

One correction: the Sony DSC-R1 was not an APS-C camera. It was closer to FourThirds format. The only other APS-C fixed-lens zoom I cam think of is the Ricoh A16 24-85 camera unit for the GXR. It's faster than this, but bulkier too.

Likely the X Vario is a very good camera, but it's not what I'm looking for. An X2 with an M lens mount would have been appealing to me.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed your report Jono - great photos and insights throughout.

I may have missed this - does the lens extend when zooming? Overal the X Vario seems a good size - bit smaller and better proportioned than the Fuji and Panasonic zoom combos you mentioned in the article. This size advantage would be even greater if the Leica - as was the case with the Digilux 2 - does not extend with zooming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    One correction: the Sony DSC-R1 was not an APS-C camera. It was closer to FourThirds format.
    Sigma 1.7X is widely included in the "APS-C" category, and the R1 is much closer to Canon APS-C than to Four Thirds.

Nikon 1.5X APS-C: 23.5 x 15.6mm
    Canon 1.6X APS-C: 22.3 x 14.9mm
    Sony R1 sensor: 21.5 x 14.4mm
    Sigma 1.7X APS-C: (eg, DP1): 20.7 x 13.8mm
    Canon G1X: 18.7 x 14mm
    Four Thirds: 17.3 x 13mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin, Even at the widest setting, the lens extends out (according to Leica pics) .

Post Thanks / Like

Nice little 3K plus camera. Thanks for sharing the review Jono. I bet it was fun to play with this little camera. The bokeh in close up use certainly is pleasing to the eye.

Well, I call it like I see it. Maybe it's that much more than the X1/X2 but only if it's what you are looking for For me, it's really not. Me, I used the X1 as a gateway drug to the M9. but once I got the M9, I only saw the X1 as lens "fix" money, honestly, and sold out. I could see no justification for keeping a compact camera with a fixed lens over a compact camera with M lenses. I didn't stay content with just a taste of Leica for long, after delving into Panasonic with Leica lens (same as D2 I think) and earlier digilux models. I wish I had kept that Panasonic with separate lens.

The X1 was a fun camera, and I took some nice photos with it, but the slow AF I found very annoying, granted, this camera should best that. However, I have a hard time getting excited about a compact camera that won't do 2.8 speed at least. For most circumstances, I guess it would be ok. But there are situations where that little bit of extra speed would have made a big difference.

I too Vote for a Mini M with interchangable lenses and a 36 mpx sensor. Honestly, coming to Leica from mostly nikon use of big DSLRs, the Leica M9 is compact to begin with. It's one of the things I appreciate most about it. That and the killer glass. I think I would hold onto a dream of a M240 before this camera...

Doug
    /M-TP240/MM+Luxious trinity(24:35:50) + 75 2.0 APO ASPH Cron + Nikon D3X/D700, 58 1.2 noct, 28 1.4d,200VR + Zeiss 35/50/100 + 135mm 2.0 DC, 17-35/24-70/70-200VRII, Einstein studio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On reflection, I certainly understand Leica's lens design decision. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    As a very happy Sony RX-1 owner, I can honestly say that I would have given the Leica X Vario serious consideration if it had been available when I bought the RX-1. I didn't give the X2 serious thought at the time because I had previously owned an X1 and wanted to try something different. The convenience of a 28-70mm zoom (albeit very slow) may have been enough to make me choose it over the 24mp full frame RX-1. The sample images that Jono posted look very promising.
    I guess this would make me wonder why you didn't go ahead and choose something like an X-E1 with a zoom (or something similar) in the first place, since it isn't really any larger than the X Vario?

That is where I struggle with this camera. If it had a lens that retracted, I could see it as something more unique, despite the cost, but, with the largish lens on the front and the heavy weight, why not go with one of the multitude of mirrorless cameras with zooms already out there?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Sigma 1.7X is widely included in the "APS-C" category, and the R1 is much closer to Canon APS-C than to Four Thirds.

Nikon 1.5X APS-C: 23.5 x 15.6mm
    Canon 1.6X APS-C: 22.3 x 14.9mm
    Sony R1 sensor: 21.5 x 14.4mm
    Sigma 1.7X APS-C: (eg, DP1): 20.7 x 13.8mm
    Canon G1X: 18.7 x 14mm
    Four Thirds: 17.3 x 13mm
    It's a close call, not worth debating.

For me, the so-called APS-C sensor format is ~16x24 mm. How sensors from 14x21 to 16x24 all sensibly be called APS-C, and then APS-C camera users sneer at 13x17.3 mm in FourThirds, is beyond my ability (and patience) to understand. No one called the R1 APS-C format when it was a current model, ya know? :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Useful perspective, thank you Jono. Excellent that you took a picture of the word "SLOW" and used it as a sample photo. Purely unintentional I am sure.

I think if you start with the propositions that (i) price is irrelevant, (ii) ergonomics and aesthetics are paramount and (iii) it is not necessary to rely on narrow depth of field to achieve a good composition, then this camera has some appeal.
    Last edited by MPK2010; 11th June 2013 at 19:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a close call, not worth debating.

No one called the R1 APS-C format when it was a current model, ya know? :-)

G
    The R1 was usually referred to as aps-c, when it was a current model.

I vaguely remember that there was something about the supporting electronics for live view that required the sensor to be masked off a bit to that smaller size, but I can't confirm that at the moment.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    The R1 was usually referred to as aps-c, when it was a current model.

I vaguely remember that there was something about the supporting electronics for live view that required the sensor to be masked off a bit to that smaller size, but I can't confirm that at the moment.
    I don't recall it. I had an R1, had FourThirds at the same time. The format was 1mm taller and 4mm wider than FourThirds. My Pentax *ist DS' sensor was noticeably larger than the R1's.

Eh? who cares? Have it your way. You want to call a sensor nearly 30% smaller area than another one as the same format, be my guest. But don't tell me FourThirds is teensy, ok?

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I enjoyed your report Jono - great photos and insights throughout.

I may have missed this - does the lens extend when zooming? Overal the X Vario seems a good size - bit smaller and better proportioned than the Fuji and Panasonic zoom combos you mentioned in the article. This size advantage would be even greater if the Leica - as was the case with the Digilux 2 - does not extend with zooming.
    Amin, Even at the widest setting, the lens extends out (according to Leica pics) .
    Thanks Amin, Vivek
    The lens is shortest around 35-50mm. It extends nearly 1cm at 70mm and about 1/2cm at 28mm.
    So the answer is Yes. But not much!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

excellent impressions and review! Really enjoyed reading.

Actually this might be the camera of choice if you look for a high IQ and high build quality, relatively small camera WITHOUT the need to carry multiple lenses.

I need to try one and see if this will become my everyday P&S ...

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall it. I had an R1, had FourThirds at the same time. The format was 1mm taller and 4mm wider than FourThirds.
    1mm 4mm wider is a big difference IMO. It's the difference between a 2x crop and a 1.5x crop... also, APS-C still has a decent depth of field control without having to be super close.

You want to call a sensor nearly 30% smaller area than another one as the same format, be my guest. But don't tell me FourThirds is teensy, ok?
    Anything smaller than APS-C is tiny IMO. To me, APS-C still can look like full frame at times. m4/3 looks closer to P&S sized sensors at times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Jono. Having used the D2 for a number of years, it is certainly a good follow-on camera of a similar kind. The slow lens could be easily off-set if the sensor is capable of some great high ISO performance, so we shall see what the lab testers and pixel peepers have to say!!

Now I know why you didn't have time to write a cheque!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I guess this would make me wonder why you didn't go ahead and choose something like an X-E1 with a zoom (or something similar) in the first place, since it isn't really any larger than the X Vario?

That is where I struggle with this camera. If it had a lens that retracted, I could see it as something more unique, despite the cost, but, with the largish lens on the front and the heavy weight, why not go with one of the multitude of mirrorless cameras with zooms already out there?
    Douglas, you make a fair comment. I very much like the X-E1 and seriously considered it. At the time, I decided against the X-E1 because Lightroom didn't do a very good job processing the images and I had no interest in using a different raw conversion software for what would be my secondary (non-serious) camera. That was then - the equation is a little different now with improved LR performance. In my attempt at trying to be optimistic about having more limited discretionary funds than I once had, I am fortunate that I am not in a position to be in the market for another camera right now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Now I know why you didn't have time to write a cheque!!
    Hi David. Glad you liked it. And yes, it's because I've been too busy, but this isn't the half of it! I will I will I will!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't recall it. I had an R1, had FourThirds at the same time. The format was 1mm taller and 4mm wider than FourThirds. My Pentax *ist DS' sensor was noticeably larger than the R1's.

Eh? who cares? Have it your way. You want to call a sensor nearly 30% smaller area than another one as the same format, be my guest. But don't tell me FourThirds is teensy, ok?

G
    I didn't call anything teensy, but comparing to m4/3 is a difficult, because of the different ratios. If you crop the R1 to m4/3 ratio, then the sensor sizes are close, but, if you crop m4/3 to 3:2, then not so much. Either way, the R1's sensor size is still closer to aps-c than it is m4/3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Douglas, you make a fair comment. I very much like the X-E1 and seriously considered it. At the time, I decided against the X-E1 because Lightroom didn't do a very good job processing the images and I had no interest in using a different raw conversion software for what would be my secondary (non-serious) camera. That was then - the equation is a little different now with improved LR performance. In my attempt at trying to be optimistic about having more limited discretionary funds than I once had, I am fortunate that I am not in a position to be in the market for another camera right now.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't like X-trans either, even with the current LR, but there are also m4/3 zooms, NEX zooms, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks Amin, Vivek
    The lens is shortest around 35-50mm. It extends nearly 1cm at 70mm and about 1/2cm at 28mm.
    So the answer is Yes. But not much!
    Thanks, Jono. That 1cm of extension is insignificant when you compare to how much the Fuji 18-55 and Panasonic 12-35 extend with zooming, and those are the lenses people point to when making a case that Leica should have gone with a faster one.

Here are those three kits compared at CameraSize.com:

I wish I had a similar photo with the lenses at their longest extension.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    'What are they thinking' applies in so many ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin,

Really neat comparison. And just what I was wondering: how would the X Vario and it's f3.5 18-46mm lens stack up against an X-E1 and its very sharp f2.8 18-55mm lens, size-wise.

Now I know.

Thanks for sharing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, the XE-1 is more like the "Mini M" than the Mini M ever will be because the XE-1 has a built in EVF and at the right place like an M. You hang the Olympus EVF on top of the Mini M and it is almost like the GX1. Moreover, the XE-1 is obviously better shaped for proper hand holding.

I have to point the obvious because Leica sent an email which claimed that the M inspires the shape of the Mini M.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not only that, Fujifilm offers an M bayonet for the X-E1.

What's also interesting: the X-E1 with faster/longer zoom with OIS and built-in EVF is only about $500 more than the cost of the Leica EVF by itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono, a nice read and the pics look good. How about a comparison between your OMD with the 12-35mm zoom and (your wife`s?) X-Vario?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Not only that, Fujifilm offers an M bayonet for the X-E1.

What's also interesting: the X-E1 with faster/longer zoom with OIS and built-in EVF is only about $500 more than the cost of the Leica EVF by itself.

That`s not a fair comparison as one has a dot and is made in Germany. Oh, wait a moment, I forgot that "Leica`s" EVF is also made in Japan and lacks the red dot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am so buying this: Samsung officially announces Galaxy S4 zoom with 16MP camera, 10x optical zoom

It comes with a smartphone as well!

Post Thanks / Like

TodayI tried the X Vario in Leica Store Vienna.

What a great camera -

1) great feel (like M), typically Leica menus and operation (IMHO much better and much more straight forward than Fuji X Pro 1 and E1)
    2) exceptionally fast AF (seems better and more accurate than X Pro 1
    3) with the Leica EVF mounted at least for me much easier to operate and better image than the X Pro 1 and even X E1 (although only 1.4MP)
    4) colors OOC (DNG and JPEG) are very good - very neutral - not like Fuji which tends to overdo colors
    5) zoom lens very intuitively to operate and also a very good range (like Fuji 18-55) - although Fuji is faster (maybe not really needed because sensor is excellent even at higher ISO
    6) one tiny little high quality package which should deliver exceptional results

I am so thrilled that I might buy one. And get rid of my Fuji, as the Leica X Vario is actually much more the P&S I am looking for and if I need more then go either Nikon D800E or Leica M ...

One word on the external EVF: not only better IQ IMHO than all others I have seen (Fuji, Sony, etc - maybe NOT Olympus), but it is much easier to look through (larger entry) compared to the rest of the market, as well very good on top of the camera, also for 90 degree look through.

For me a real Leica, unfortunately of course also the price
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    1mm 4mm wider is a big difference IMO. It's the difference between a 2x crop and a 1.5x crop... also, APS-C still has a decent depth of field control without having to be super close.

Anything smaller than APS-C is tiny IMO. To me, APS-C still can look like full frame at times. m4/3 looks closer to P&S sized sensors at times.
    Ah, bullshit. Keep on.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    TodayI tried the X Vario in Leica Store Vienna.

What a great camera - ...
    Nice to hear a positive note in this.
    I look forward to seeing one at the local store.

Again, zoom lenses are not my thing, most of the time, but it's nice to see Leica expanding their range of offerings. Even if the internet hates the X Vario ... I bet most of the buyers don't bother with the internet! ;-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, bullshit. Keep on.

G
    Bullshit?!

Post Thanks / Like

I have this Leica Vario X, a very fine camera, an improved version of the excellent Leica X2, with a zoom lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the XE-1 is more like the "Mini M" than the Mini M ever will be because the XE-1 has a built in EVF and at the right place.
    Only if your right eye is dominant, for left eye dominants it is awkward and they will get a lot of nose grease on the camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Leyenaar View Post
    Only if your right eye is dominant, for left eye dominants it is awkward and they will get a lot of nose grease on the camera.
    I shoot with any eye that is available with my MM and other fine M mount cameras. No news there.