Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fun with the X-Vario

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the X-Vario

First attempt at shooting low-light with the X Vario.

All were shot handheld at 70mm (full-frame equivalent), f/6.4, 1/30 of a second, and ISO 1600. Processed in Lightroom 5 to individual taste.

website | photos | classic film blog
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another at 3200 ISO - this time using the software based IS
    I'd always written it off as worthless, but actually it works really well.

Caspar Snoozin'

Just this guy you know
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    First attempt at shooting low-light with the X Vario.
    Great stuff David - it works better than one might imagine - I've found the software based IS works well at these shutter speeds as well.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Great stuff David - it works better than one might imagine - I've found the software based IS works well at these shutter speeds as well.
    Thanks, Jono. I'll give the IS feature a try. Good to know it works well.

And thanks for posting the Paula and X Vario articles. Those articles (and Sean Reid's review) helped convinced me that this camera might be a good companion for my Monochrom.
    Last edited by DavidE; 15th June 2013 at 18:18.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff, guys! Used with its capacities, the X-Vario had a lovely signature....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Nice stuff, guys! Used with its capacities, the X-Vario had a lovely signature....
    +1
    Ed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a shot in low light (quiet hospital high dependency light).

Exif is intact . .

the picture is of our little granddaughter who was 7 weeks old on Friday - she was born at 25 weeks weighing 744 gms (1lb 10 oz) today she was 2lb 13oz and she has just come out of the incubator into a cot.

Scarlett - 58mm equivalent 1250 ISO

Just this guy you know
    Likes 29 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

for those who like to see some more images from the x-vario: I found a review with many nice images here: Review: Leica X Vario Defies Naysayers with Impressive Optics
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    for those who like to see some more images from the x-vario: I found a review with many nice images here: Review: Leica X Vario Defies Naysayers with Impressive Optics
    Wonderful read! Thanks for sharing!

Here are a few excerpts I found very enlightening.

Engineered to last beyond the electronics

Leica is proud of its engineering prowess, and it should be. Leica products are renowned for their precision feel, and the X Vario continues this tradition. The top plate is machined from solid aluminium in the same process as that used for the Leica M, but that is probably the closest the X Vario will ever come to its famous rangefinder cousins. The letterings are silk screened instead of being engraved, which I find slightly disappointing.
    The Slow and The Furious

Leica doesn’t make haste when it comes to product development, and this trait rubs off on the products. Yes, the Leica X Vario is slow. While it is not hopelessly slow as the Sigma DP series, the autofocus is roughly comparable to the Fuji X100 (original, not the S version) and the Fuji XE-1.
    The most obvious competitor would be the Fuji XE-1 with 18-55mm zoom lens, or in fact – any of the 16MP Micro Four-Thirds (M4/3) cameras out there. All of them offer large sensors (relative to compacts), interchangeable lenses and image stabilization. And that’s not to mention they are all significantly cheaper, and the M4/3 will kick the living daylights from Leica when it comes to focusing speed.

Forget about grabbing the decisive moment with this camera – it is just too slow. Instead, it is all about taking the time to observe and compose, and taking good long strolls with the Leica in your hands (and Zegna on your back).
    Added:

Let’s be honest here – there are only two reasons why you are still reading this very negative review about the Leica Vario X. You could be a Leica-hater who is gloating at this over-priced but under-specced camera, so you can quote this review to denigrate the Leica on the forums. Or you might be a Leica fan-boy waiting to read something positive about the camera, so you can go online to defend against the masses and Romans out to crucifix your rich religion.
    I can’t remember the last time a camera gave me such mixed feelings. For those who hate and deride the X Vario, I’m certain it is not because of the image quality, because the camera delivers quality in spades.

Do these people go around hating anyone who drives a Porsche or owns a Hermes handbag too?
    Last edited by Vivek; 17th June 2013 at 02:45. Reason: Addition

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

With all negatives and positives he has the same impression I have: the lens is slow but the optical quality in regards of detail/sharpness, distortion and color seems very good.
    I wish I had 2 weeks time to travel and to check it out with more subjects other than snapshots around the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a shot in low light (quiet hospital high dependency light).

Exif is intact . .

the picture is of our little granddaughter who was 7 weeks old on Friday - she was born at 25 weeks weighing 744 gms (1lb 10 oz) today she was 2lb 13oz and she has just come out of the incubator into a cot.
    Proud Granddad All the essentials labels a baby picture requires, Name, Focal length and ISO LOL
    Very nice and amazing how they work with preemies these days. 18 years from now I imagine that the focal length and ISO beneath her image may be a source of family jokes
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Proud Granddad All the essentials labels a baby picture requires, Name, Focal length and ISO LOL
    Very nice and amazing how they work with preemies these days. 18 years from now I imagine that the focal length and ISO beneath her image may be a source of family jokes
    I am thinking that in about a month's time, the grandpa will be forced to use his EM-5 + the 12-35 to capture the moments.

All the best, Jono! The miracles of life.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful granddaughter!

And beautiful image!

Had similar breathtaking moments when my youngest daughter was born 2 years ago, although her birth was luckily normal. She will celebrate her 2nd birthday on 24th June :-)

All the best to the new baked granddad!

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Wonderful read! Thanks for sharing!

Here are a few excerpts I found very enlightening.

HI Vivek - I thought it a good review too - although your excerpts seem to me to be rather lopsided - he also wrote:
    The image quality from the Leica X Vario is brilliant! For all its failings, the image quality from the Leica is really commendable — thanks to the APS-C sensor and an excellent lens. Leica was right on the money when it claimed “this combination is a world’s first and sets completely new standards for imaging quality in this camera class. The resulting exposures show outstanding brilliance…”
    . . . and

Where Leica loses out in terms of technology like image stabilization and fast autofocus, it excels in colour rendition. The X Vario delivers beautiful colours that Leica is renowned for, and this is one area where the lens absolutely shines. Even complex colours such as red and purple are rendered with fidelity, and this is one area where even leading brands sometimes struggle.
    Which is pretty much the same as Sean Reid and I said - i.e. great image quality, great lens quality - too slow AF, too slow lens.

But I also like the ergonomics, and the manual focusing is lovely (much nicer than the fly by wire focusing on the Fuji 18-55 for instance).

It seems to me that as long as a camera has good image quality, then it has a place in somebody's camera bag (depending on what they want).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which is pretty much the same as Sean Reid and I said - i.e. great image quality, great lens quality - too slow AF, too slow lens.

But I also like the ergonomics, and the manual focusing is lovely (much nicer than the fly by wire focusing on the Fuji 18-55 for instance).

It seems to me that as long as a camera has good image quality, then it has a place in somebody's camera bag (depending on what they want).

all the best
    Hi Jono,

Yes, I agree with your last line.

What you say about the camera (with the caveats about saying good stuff in the open and the drawbacks only to Leica) does not count. In other words, as I see it, you introduce a camera and you really do not review it.
    Don't know about the other person and I will never know what he says as I don't pay to read such stuff.

The second line about the manual focusing is the exact opposite of what petapixel reviewer says.

What is undisputable is what kind of memorable events one captures with this or any other camera- priceless.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What is undisputable is what kind of memorable events one captures with this or any other camera- priceless.
    My photographic endeavor this weekend was scanning about 90 old slides spanning from the early 1970s to the mid-1990s. No great art indeed, but sheer gold for the memories and story they present, regardless of the quality. A couple of observations:

- Modern cameras, any of them , are so much better and easier to make technically perfect images with it's not easily measurable.

- For all the crappy exposure, poor focus, dirty film, limited DR, and other defects, the content of these photos remains the real value of photography. And they have charm in presenting it.

I'm sure the photos made with the XV, whomever buys and loves it, will end up being far more important than the camera regardless of its technical merits. :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

34 degrees Celsiusthis afternoon - so time to put some food on the grill.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Two more shots taken in very poor light
    In both cases it's 1/30th second and 3200 ISO using the software image stabilisation.

These are relevant because they're the type of shot you shouldn't use the camera for (so I'm told).

Scarlett Comfy in her Cot

Matty Comfy by the Aga

Just this guy you know
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two more high ISO shots - this time on a very grey and miserable morning in a dark and dreary lane - both using 70mm handheld at 1/80th

Just this guy you know
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There
    Two more shots taken in very poor light
    In both cases it's 1/30th second and 3200 ISO using the software image stabilisation.

These are relevant because they're the type of shot you shouldn't use the camera for (so I'm told).

Scarlett Comfy in her Cot

Matty Comfy by the Aga
    Well, for the fact that you should not use the camera for such shots, these are outstanding!

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

just got it. walked to work in Palo Alto and took a few snap shots. the out of camera jpegs are amazing. can't wait to do some real work with it. for sure a great travel camera. fits in same cheap incase the rx1 its in. (these are compressed for web and setting on camera was 'idiot' - auto everything) looks like i'm back in the Kodachrome days!

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jono: lovely shots of your granddaughter. Like Vivek I wonder if you will use this camera when she is frolicking around with Caspar and Matty. All the best. Give your beautiful granddaughter a collective kiss from all of us on this forum.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice pictures here!
    Tom, your last photo shows an interesting 3D look. I don't now where, but during the past few days I've seen this before. Makes the lens all the more interesting.
    I guess the guys and girls over at fredmiranda will soon start a new 3D effect thread, and rightly so!
    Cheers, Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, congratulation on your expanding family.

But back to the topic at hand. These reports are really annoying. While facts are nice, they don't have the same bite as imagination. I have a great suspicion that all the damning critique before the release is going to result in a large jump in hat sales, as folks are going to have to find a replacement to the ones that have just ate. But I still would rather judge a book by its cover.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Jono, congratulation on your expanding family.

But back to the topic at hand. These reports are really annoying. While facts are nice, they don't have the same bite as imagination. I have a great suspicion that all the damning critique before the release is going to result in a large jump in hat sales, as folks are going to have to find a replacement to the ones that have just ate. But I still would rather judge a book by its cover.

Hi There!
    I'm not absolutely certain who you think is going to have to eat their hats? The naysayers or the yeasayers?

At any rate - I'm an experienced hat eater, and have found a good source of tasty ones which I can tuck in to at any U turn (nearest I can do to a yummy emoticon).

I agree that imagination is better than fact - also that Leica should have known better than to stimulate people's imagination with that silly piece of internet teasing - But I also think that the public are a funny lot, and I reckon that Roger Cicala's Law of New Camera Introduction will probably turn out to apply to the XVario as well.

It's even possibly the case that there are people who would simply have ignored the camera . . . . . but after their fury are now noticing that other's are actually liking it.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not absolutely certain who you think is going to have to eat their hats? The naysayers or the yeasayers?
    Exactly!

Releases seem to go through this cycle with folks are really excited about company X rumor of a release, then this despair of an actual leak, to comments on how company X can't make cameras and shoulda asked them, to the actual release when everyone discovers it is actually a just camera and does what a camera is supposed to do and does it well.

Quite frankly, I am finding the release cycle exhausting. It is a wonder that photographers can actually find the time to take pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

It's even possibly the case that there are people who would simply have ignored the camera . . . . . but after their fury are now noticing that other's are actually liking it.
    That might be me. I'm torn between the Fuji X-E1 and the X Vario. I rented an X-E1 for a trip to Denmark and was very impressed. It is also a more versatile camera than the X Vario. However, seeing the JPEGs from the X Vario makes me think it may be the image quality winner*, and I'd much rather work with DNG files than proprietary RAW formats. The Lecia seems to have a simpler UI than the X-E1, which is a nice camera to use.

Decisions, decisions. Ease of use, IQ and DNG files vs. lower cost and greater versatility.

Maybe I should just flip a coin.

*I need to find some X Vario RAW files to download.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I keep looking for the outstanding IQ I would expect from this camera but have yet to see it. The colors appear to be over saturated in most of the images I have seen posted with fine detail smeared away and a lack of sharp/crisp focus. They do not appear to match the X1 or X2 so far. I'm looking on a calibrated iMac 27' so I don't think it is my monitor. Green grass and reds seem to be the most over saturated colors and it gives images that P&S look. I would like to see side by side comparison shots of the same subject taken with an X100s or XE-1 in good light and in low light. Perhaps one of you can provide some RAW files for download and comparison.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

it's just a duck

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I keep looking for the outstanding IQ I would expect from this camera but have yet to see it. The colors appear to be over saturated in most of the images I have seen posted with fine detail smeared away and a lack of sharp/crisp focus. They do not appear to match the X1 or X2 so far. I'm looking on a calibrated iMac 27' so I don't think it is my monitor. Green grass and reds seem to be the most over saturated colors and it gives images that P&S look. I would like to see side by side comparison shots of the same subject taken with an X100s or XE-1 in good light and in low light. Perhaps one of you can provide some RAW files for download and comparison.
    Hi John,
    in my experience there are 2 factors with most digital Leicas:
    1) I believe the lenses are very good in regards to colors and "punch".
    2) Leica tweaks profiles/basic settings toward a "punchy" saturated image. (By the way I believe those glossy IMac displays are optimized in the same way)
    So what you find oversaturated could be a combination of those 2 factors lens and profile.
    However I dont find the images from the vario to have a P&S look, because they have much finer grain, and while colors are strong/saturated they do match very good what I remember to have seen in reality (I know subjective). Also tonal transition with the vario look much finer to me compared to P&S. P&S often have a more "digital" look. Specially in regards to skin color, where I find the vario pretty good.
    You can e-mail me and I can send you some raws if you like the next days.
    Still images and color from Fuji have a different color look than those from Leica, so I guess it is also a matter of taste what one likes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding the Leica Vario X jpegs a tad too sharp and a bit heavy on contrast coming out of the camera. (maybe this is what Paratom is referring too) This makes them look 'great' for quick web posts but not so great for sending to editors. I'm not seeing the referenced color bleed unless I'm on a cheaper monitor, like a macbook air. even my RX1 files exhibit some bleed in the out of focus backgrounds on those kinda of monitors. Working with the raw Vario X files is much better and you can really see the difference between the unadjusted raw images (flat) and the Leica out of camera jpegs (look like Kodachrome 25).

My reference/work systems are: the NEC PA271 / Mac Pro for home edit and retina MacBooks for field. I can't stress how important it is to have a first class monitor when comparing files from different cameras!

Post Thanks / Like

cloudy day at the ball park. its san francisco....

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fultonpics View Post
    I'm finding the Leica Vario X jpegs a tad too sharp and a bit heavy on contrast coming out of the camera. (maybe this is what Paratom is referring too) This makes them look 'great' for quick web posts but not so great for sending to editors. I'm not seeing the referenced color bleed unless I'm on a cheaper monitor, like a macbook air. even my RX1 files exhibit some bleed in the out of focus backgrounds on those kinda of monitors. Working with the raw Vario X files is much better and you can really see the difference between the unadjusted raw images (flat) and the Leica out of camera jpegs (look like Kodachrome 25).

My reference/work systems are: the NEC PA271 / Mac Pro for home edit and retina MacBooks for field. I can't stress how important it is to have a first class monitor when comparing files from different cameras!
    So change the default image processing settings. ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

The DNG files uncorrected look better than the jpegs on my monitor,
    21 inch imac.

Post Thanks / Like

this little girl says goodbye each morning I leave for work

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting reviews of the X Vario just released by Luminous Landscape (Nick Rains) and by Ming Thein -

Leica X Vario

The 2013 Leica X Vario (Typ 107) review

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

2 more images ...

Post Thanks / Like

I was in NYC last week. Shot mostly with the M Monochrom, but did manage to grab these two with the X Vario.

I really like the way the RAW files convert to b&w in Lightroom.

Post Thanks / Like

Two more with the X Vario.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a toadstool . . . .
    Still enjoying the XVario

Just this guy you know

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The X Vario is turning out to be quite a stunner, I have to say. Great shots, guys.

Post Thanks / Like

A few more with the X Vario

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with X-Vario... OK for some reason, this thread I started a while ago went un-noticed...
    so posting it here again.

Bought it on a whim. I was a bit skeptical, but being a contrarian at heart, took the plunge... and actually found it quite versatile and handy. TBH, if there had been not much of an internet furore over the whole thing, I doubt if I would have gotten it.
    The lens is incredible for what it is, (all those who snob it need to use it first). I would definitely prefer this to an x2 / x100s for non-committed travel photography ( if I dont wish to carry the mono / M9) since I am not so hard pressed for the "prime" advantage when it comes to compacts. All in all, great colours, did some minimal clarity and vibrance adjustment on these pics from yesterday. Lets see yours..
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the X-Vario - adding some pics

I am adding some pics from last weekend in Seattle. Didn't think I would buy this camera, but it is a nice back up for larger format (and some larger size) cameras that I typically use. This past weekend I only took a IIIG with film, and the Vario was intended for back up only, but I used up my two rolls of film way faster than I expected, so out came the Vario.

For the X Vario I find I have to sharpen quite a bit to get the image I like, but once I do that, I think it is pretty good. (+50 - 65 sharpen in lightroom)

cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

My first shot with XV...
    Pano handheld,8 images stitched with PTGui Pro

Post Thanks / Like

XV,processed SE Pro2,PS CS 5.1.,..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There Cenek - Lovely
    Are you enjoying it?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,
    I am really satisfied. Actually, Leica have produced exactly a camera which I need for my trips (with or without ski). Low weight, excellent picture quality at all focuses, perfect zoom range. Nothing else I need.

This image has been made by my wife with Leica V-Lux30

Post Thanks / Like

Another one...

XV,70mm,f/8.0