The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M 240 test see samples here

Stefan Steib

I am right now testing a Leica M 240 with 2 lenses 2,5/35mm and 2,5/90mm and I have to say this quality reaches into MF teritory easily.
I have done some shots last week on an oldtimer show here in Friedrichshafen/Bodensee and worked on these on the weekend - the results can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.steib/photos_all

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

V

Vivek

Stefan,

When I click on the link, I see one steering wheel of a car with jaggies. Can't find much in it.

Hosermage

Vivek, I think you'll have to sign up with facebook in order to see it. I don't have one, so I don't know for sure.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Stefan. :)

I like the pics from Kolkata. It does not matter what camera was used for those.

Stefan Steib

In my article (for german DIGIT!) I will post some cutouts from the Leica, it is amazing how sharp these are even more the DR in the shadows is extreme, much better than my Canon 5D MK2 or even the 3.
The camera delivers MF quality - IF- you treat it like a MF.
All of these were shot from a stable tripod, I cannot use this camera out of hand, I don´t have any grip on it. And the Finder is still useless for me. But the liveview changes everything. I have not yet worked with the Nex 7 intensely , but the focus confirmation throughout the image even if stopped down is really unique.

Regards
Stefan

V

Vivek

Hi Stefan,

Is that an online magazine or printed? Please post a link to it when that is ready.

Edit: This appears to be the only magazine with that name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_(magazine)

Is that the one?

I am intrigued by your assessment and personally think that it is better for Leica to have such reviews instead of some paid online sources propagating a secluded religion. :)

Stefan Steib

It is a bimonthly print magazine, but they also have an electronic issue they publish as pdf. Their website is here:

Home | d i g i t ! they are also on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/digit.profimagazin

I´m writing a regular "opinion" column and articles now about highend imaging, digital MF, digital large format (see last issue my article about Rencay) and now on stuff like "Myths" as the Leica.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

JoelM

and I have to say this quality reaches into MF teritory easily. Stefan
That's quite a statement and I would like some objective proof of that. Are you referring to MF film or digital? If you like the results more than MF, that is very subjective, but saying that IQ is easily comparable or better perhaps, that does not sound right to me. I'm a scientist and need proof :)

Thanks,

Joel

D&A

That's quite a statement and I would like some objective proof of that. Are you referring to MF film or digital? If you like the results more than MF, that is very subjective, but saying that IQ is easily comparable or better perhaps, that does not sound right to me. I'm a scientist and need proof :)

Thanks,

Joel
Joel, I am too but it's hard to both quantify and qualify what consititutes for example "reaching into MF territory". Partly as you pointed out, there are many both measurable and subjective parameters that might support such a statement and often times a discussion as to whether "it does" or "doesn't" can be an endless (although sometimes productive) discussion. I've even encoutered images, sometimes in print, that were taken with a particulary selected 35mm DSLR and lens and it was more MF like in look than many MF files I've seen printed similary in large format printing.

I'm sure Stephen has good reasons for his statement and certainly is quite verse in what looks and constitutes the look of the MF image.

Again my comments are simply an expression of my thoughts, not a direct comment to anyones posted comments in this thread, nor a commentary as to whether the M240 files reach to what some refer to as MF territory. I'm definitely don't have enough experience at this time, working with and printing M240 files, to make any sort of reasonable assesment. Interesting though since we are talking about a 24 MP camera and that sort of resolution up to now isn't generally though of as MF territory (in terms of file size) although as often said, it's not all about the MP's...so there is apparently something else about the files that Stephen feels is worth discussing :)

Dave (D&A)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Joel,

Please bear in mind that photography is part art, part craft and not a scientific endeavor...thank God for that. Proof is a bit difficult for a subjective statement about one's opinion...my observation in 35 years of medical practice.

However when some very experienced photographers, some of them scientists, repeat the sentiment that it does run with the big guns one can feel confident that conditions favor the posited statement.

To whit:

Tim Ashley - "Get a shot correctly exposed and well focussed on one of the better lenses and I think, at a pixel level, it gives better results than anything I know."

Tim is very objective in his multiple criticisms of the camera....

Full article here:

Tim Ashley Photography | Leica M240 - The Final Inspection: Does it Pass Muster?

Mark Dubovoy - "When I first saw this image, I was stunned by the image quality on the screen. The white balance, sharpness, detail, color rendition, contrast, Dynamic Range, etc. were all superb.

This image looked much better to me than it deserved to, particularly since it came from "a mere 24 Megapixel camera".

Next step, I made a 24x30 inch print of the image. I was stunned again. The print looked like it might be the best print of this size I had ever gotten from a 35 mm size sensor."

Again there are many elements of the camera that are criticized in his review.

Full article here:

I WILL NOT BUY THAT CAMERA. I PROMISE...

I doubt that photographers at this level will be shooting test charts, brick walls or newspapers to compare quality....however both of the above have used Phase 160/180 and Leica S2...I assume they know a rose when they see one.

At the present I do not have a dog in this hunt...I have turned down three offers for the Leica M as my Leica Monochrom, Sony RX1 and Ricoh GXR M mount have given me time to look for proof of quality...and it seems to be more evident daily.

Regards,

Bob

V

Vivek

I had been in science long enough to say this- there are global truths and local truths, each founded on a set of hypotheses with some having proof. Science itself is not infallible.

Also, looking at the glorious history of a technologically most advanced nation, science as a selling point is bound to be looked at with skepticism at best by most public (you need not have to look at Glyco Heroin for coughs or X-ray therapy for hirsutism, just look up Tang)

Stefan already stated he writes an opinion column. Those are his opinions based on his own experience.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
try it you will quickly see what I mean. This was shot with the 2,5/90mm 1/25sec f6,8 at 200 ISO.

Regards
Stefan
Wonderful file!

Fairly neutral post processing:

Stefan Steib's DNG

I do prefer your picture but this may show the intrinsic file a bit more....

Bob

Stefan Steib

Bob

The best thing is the noisefree depth, try the following - pull dark areas up as far as possible (I did it in LR5) and on the left there is the dark inside of the BMW´s wheel housing, if you do this you can see the shockabsorber quite clearly and still there is no noise.......... crazy !

The 2,5/90mm has a bit of out of focus chroma but the focused area is a joy to look at. The Summarits are supposed to be the "cheap ones"(relatively spoken in Leica terms). Well maybe from the price, but not from the images.

Regards
Stefan