The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where to buy new Leica M?

BANKER1

The Murphys in Lexington, KY, has been there for as long as I can remember. They would not last that long if they were not reputable.

Greg

bubuli

yeah a quick google answered my question. :)

they have 5 locations...and in business for over 50 years...so that's a good sign. ;-)

thanks.

The Murphys in Lexington, KY, has been there for as long as I can remember. They would not last that long if they were not reputable.

Greg

mmbma

the Ms are actually not that hard to come by anymore. almost any Leica boutique store will have one with 2-3 weeks wait time (it is so at the Soho store). Also a lot of members are selling theirs I think

ark8012

What are you thinking about getting a certified pre-owned M240?

I found one which is about $700 cheaper than new but comes only with 1 year warranty.

sjg284

Bergen County Camera in NJ was super fast for me.
Many of the regional non-Leica branded boutiques are able to get you a camera pretty quick at this point.
Popflash in CA had a shortish wait as well.
The big name regional guys were all super friendly on the phone, they wanted to sell me a camera. DId not quite get that sense from the Leica Stores.

Leica Store DC/NY/FL were quoting months while the above were quoting weeks. I also question if all the Leica Stores are holding true to their waiting lists or not.

I have been on the Leica SoHo list since August. Waited two months, during which I called for an update.. all of 2 times. Got an uneasy feeling of their delivery estimate slipping/becoming vaguer and not the most friendly service on the phone. Sort of Jekyll & Hyde response calling them. One guy is super helpful and proactively letting me know where I stand in line. Other guy didn't really want to be on the phone, and was extremely vague as to how much more of a wait.

Called Bergen County, had a nice conversation and got a camera in a week.

Meanwhile I intended to call Leica SoHo to get off the list, but the combination of curiosity as to when they might call me.. and disinterest in running into rude service.. I have not yet.

While waiting I read some stories online of people seemingly jumping the line @ Leica SoHo, which was the other reason I called Bergen County.. and why I am still conducting my experiment.

algrove

I got one in about week from Southeastern Camera. 919-890-4484. I talked with Patrick Todd. I have no affiliation with them. They had one arrive Friday, but it could be gone by now.

If that does not work I have received an extra M that was prepaid by me and will sell for my cost from a FL Leica dealer which includes FL sales tax. It's black and the shutter button has never been touched. PM me.

bubuli

both Murphy's Camera and SouthEastern are out...when I called Murphy's this morning as soon as they open they said that the only camera had is sale pending...some bastard beat me to it..lol.

I called PrecisionCamera and they're out, too.

no NJ stores for now (unless i get desperate lol) to "avoid" (using the term loosely) the sales tax...

mmbma

Just to pick the brains of the prospective M240 buyers. Why are you taking the plunge now? Are you slightly attracted by the A7r and the new Nikon DF (less so now I guess)? Is it just more of the Leica brand that's attractive or the rangefinder experience, or the build?

bubuli

Just to pick the brains of the prospective M240 buyers. Why are you taking the plunge now? Are you slightly attracted by the A7r and the new Nikon DF (less so now I guess)? Is it just more of the Leica brand that's attractive or the rangefinder experience, or the build?
it's always been my plan to get the M240...i decided not to get one right away to avoid the frenzy...but i thought wrong that the shortage was over (better now, but far from over)... *sigh*

the A7r is nice, and I admit it smitten me a little bit...but once it all sank in, i know i'll b*tch about its ergonomics if i start using one eventually.

as for the new DF, I already have a D600. while it's cool-looking and all, it's still the same banana IMO.

bubuli

There is no shortage of M240's at present. The big resellers regularly have one or two in stock on a weekly basis.

Leica M 240 IN STOCK! Black or Silver! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
Ken Hansen's out (I'm on his list...) I also called that Pro shop in Florida but they only accept Wire Transfer or Cashier's check as payment...holy cow...what is this, 1987?

i must be really having tough time getting an M240...called several stores today and they're all out.

lambert

Ken Hansen's out (I'm on his list...) I also called that Pro shop in Florida but they only accept Wire Transfer or Cashier's check as payment...holy cow...what is this, 1987?

i must be really having tough time getting an M240...called several stores today and they're all out.
There are a couple M240's currently for sale on this forum.

ark8012

There are a couple M240's currently for sale on this forum.

They are asking more than MSRP. I am not sure it is worth to pay more than retail price now, since it is not hard to find anymore from dealers. You might need to wait a couple of days or weeks but not months anymore.

Also, I believe we should not support those people who ask more than the retail price because this forum is not a *bay. :p

lambert

They are asking more than MSRP. I am not sure it is worth to pay more than retail price now, since it is not hard to find anymore from dealers. You might need to wait a couple of days or weeks but not months anymore.

Also, I believe we should not support those people who ask more than the retail price because this forum is not a *bay. :p
Popflash recently listed a couple of used M240's. One for around $6350 and the other for around $6270. Both in 9.88/10 condition (as new with close to zero actuations). The Australian RRP is now $9250 (inc 10% GST). I could have bought a used one with a few hundred actuations for $7000 last week. A month ago, I would have jumped on this deal. But given that I pre-ordered an M7R, I'm going to see how it fares first.

If you struggle to score an M240 for the right price, you may want to consider an M7R as a stop-gap. If not, sit tight. M240's are becoming available, both new and used, on a regular basis.

Last edited:

bubuli

I broke down and went to Bergen today...it was an hour drive from my place but it's worth it...

for those who are looking, as of this morning they still have one in chrome.

sjg284

Congrats, and glad to hear you went to Bergen!
I had a great experience with them. Professional and friendly.