The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 75mm APO Summicron ASPH "Out of the Box"

Photojazz

Maybe I can come back and add lens photos this weekend, but for now, I just want to give my initial impressions. I LOVE this lens! Oh sh.. I let the cat out of the bag. Sorry.

Let's try to be a little more non-biased right off. Let's start with a physical description. It's Leica, you expect quality, and the lens delivers. It looks fantastic. It's really not sized that large for a 75 mm, and it feels comfortable mounted on the M9.

Right off, I started shooting some close up targets, and you know what, I think this is actually where this lens is going to shine the most. It's harder with rangefinder to get accurate focus on distance targets as you know. I might do better with a magnifier. But at this point, I do not have one. Today I backfocused a rabbit, I had a clean shot at him, about 25 feet away from me, but the grass behind the rabbit was in focus. Darn.

Here's an image I took today, that if you could see it at full resolution, you'd see how accurate the focus is on the screw on the mailbox latch:

The color is great, the bokeh is well, to die for. The focus accuracy and micro-details are fantastic on this rustic mailbox, that is 20 years old. It's a shame the rust is out of focus, we'd have seen some real detail there.

This little metal flag has proven to be a good photo target, and with the Leica 75mm, it proved to be no challenge at all, the detail of the top edge of the sign is fantastic. The bokeh at this medium range is pleasing.

It's hard to miss this target! Aged underground utilities, has a lot of various detail about it, and the 75mm delivers it to us in amazing detail:

Focus on the metail ring, fairly close range, the bokeh of the curtain some 5 feet behind is very pleasing:

Finally, one of my first shots with the lens outdoors, what an amazing separation of detail on these wildflowers. I'm thinking FLE lens at this point, honestly. I guess the APO and ASPH give us that same level of 3 dimensionality. I love it, positively LOVE it. This was shot at 400 ISO 1/45th Second, @ F2, is there any other setting? ;) I can quickly see this becoming one of my favorite lenses, because honestly, I felt a weakness of my Leica kit was closer up detail. This sort of fills that void, I think. IF only you could see some of these photos at actual size, I am sure you would agree, the detail is definitely there. If you have been thinking about this lens, don't even think about it, just buy it. You won't be disappointed.

quadtones

Your are absolutely right--great lens! I love the subtlety of the color on the mailbox. Great stuff. I tend to only shoot B&W, and lots of low light. The attachment was shot at about f2.4.

Knorp

My second bought Leica lens after the 28'cron.
It really is a sweet lens, light, sharp and because you can shoot from 0.7 mtr it's great for dreamy close-ups.

Enjoy!

All the best.

seakayaker

M7 with APO Summicron-M 75mm f2 ASPH - Ilford HP5

A fantastic lens with film or digital, I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come!

Photojazz

Great shot Norm, thanks on the mailbox, it certainly did pull a lot of colors.

Knorp, love the color, and angle, great shot!

Dan, great additions too, thanks for contributing!

With this lens, you become a 75 type guy real quick I think, heh. I had really been missing not being able to get close to things with Leica. I love that about this lens.

Thanks much,
Doug

quadtones

Thanks, Doug--

I actually got the 75 Summicron because of its size and speed. It was a compromise, as I was then shooting with a 75 mm Summilux. I had trouble focusing the Summilux in low light at middle distances, and it's a heavy beast. I ended up selling the Summilux [admittedly more than 50% profit, as I'd had it a little while]. The current working kit is 21-35-75.

bcambern

My second bought Leica lens after the 28'cron.
It really is a sweet lens, light, sharp and because you can shoot from 0.7 mtr it's great for dreamy close-ups.

Enjoy!

All the best.

That was exactly my lens progression! Started with the 28 Cron and next bought the 75 Cron before I had ever heard of GAS and was naive enough to believe that I would be happy with a 2 lens setup. Still have and love them both, however.

Photojazz

I can see where that lux 75 could be very difficult to nail focus. A friend told me this, but of course, when you did nail it, you were rewarded very much. Myself, for me it was a simple decision. I've went after enough rare gems lately, this 2.0 new model Cron showed up at savings, and I saw it as the missing link in my kit. I also liked the fact it was apo, and asph. Now, it's possible I might change my 24 to a 21 in my ideal kit. I have often second guessed that decision. However, the 3mm to me is not significant enough to warrant a change. So, I'll stay with 24/35/50/75/90. My 90 is an older Cron, but I am satisfied with that lens at that focal length. I really haven't used it much, but I should get it out a bit more! One thing is for sure though, the 75 is a keeper.

wattsy

My 75mm Summicron went back to Solms 3 days after it came "out of the box" because the focus calibration was out of whack (front focussing).:mad::D

Photojazz

well, that sucks rocks. you get it back yet?

I hope you get it back spot on soon... I have a 50 lux that has to go back myself. Just waiting for the right time I guess.

Is there a right time? not really, but maybe after the week off this week.

Today outside a lady's shop that moved recently in a local center. I don't know what all they sell, but this is in the window. lol.