The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Barnack Award Blues

peterv

Leica just published an interesting video with the winner and the finalists' portfolios of the Oscar Barnack Award 2013:

Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2013 – Finalists’ Portfolios

I really liked the idea of putting all these images in one video, this way I don't have to click through them myself, I can just sit back and 'enjoy' the ride. (I turned off the music ...) Anyway, what I wanted to bring up is that it breakes my heart to see all this misery, poverty, violence, etc. So much negativity in our world, the video left me with a gloomy feeling. Luckily, the winning series is a lot more optimistic, if not in content, then surely in the beautiful color images.

I found this year's Barnack Award to be more depressing than ever before. Was it the jury, the photographers, or is it the world we live in?

BTW, you can see all entries here:

Leica Oskar Barnack Award

JohnBrew

Misery and gloom seem to be best represented with bw photography. Since it is a Barnack award (with all that implies) I'm surprised a color image was even considered.