The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problem with 35mm Summilux FLE...

Hosermage

Hi,

With much excitement, I just received a 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE from a reputable member here. However, I noticed a problem while testing the focus at near distance.

It seems the lens disengages the focus patch control arm between 0.8 and 0.7 meters. It focuses spot on from any distance beyond 0.8 meter. I obviously don't think this is normal, and I don't doubt the best intentions of the seller. Just to double check it wasn't my camera, my 50'Lux works just perfect at all distances. My question is.. is this something fixable? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks.

MoJo

Registred Users
just a note here... this lens is brand new, and exactly as received from Leica, never used, handled, or even mounted on a camera. I expect that what you are seeing is perfectly normal.... -Josef

Hosermage

It seems the focus arm gets caught and wouldn't extend out any further even as the helicoid lowers as it focus closer. Comparing to my 50'Lux, it seems the 35'Lux has an extra thick layer between the rotating helicoid and the mounting flange, so I wonder if that's the problem.

Could someone post a picture of your 35'Lux FLE's helicoid? Anyone in SoCal who wouldn't mind to meet up to test the lens so I can be sure it's a problem with the lens and not my M9, or vice versa?

35:

50:

SKueh

Out of curiosity, I checked my 35mm Lux FLE on my M9. I set the lens at 0.7M and moved the camera (or myself) towards the object until it is in focus. I then verified this point by moving the camera slightly backwards or moving the focusing tab slightly towards 0.8M. I can see clearly that the object goes immediately out of focus in the focus patch.
At 0.7M focusing distance, the lowest point of the focus cam is slightly above the copper color flange on my example. I believed the picture you shown above is not taken at the 0.7M setting so I cannot make a direct comparison. Here is how mine looks like.

thrice

The lens is suppost to be coupled at all focusing distances. I suggest the lens be sent back to Leica.
The 50 lux and 35 lux both engage the roller in the camera body in the same way, so if your 50 lux is fine the 35 lux needs to be serviced.

Hosermage

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I went into the Leica store in LA today and verified that the lens worked as expected with the cameras they had on display. So it seems that my camera is slightly out of tolerance. Thanks to Josef for tolerating me through this.

Off topic, I got a chance to play with the new M(240)... Man, am I tempted... it's going to be an itch hard to ignore.