Site Sponsors

Thread: Show your before and after images

Post Thanks / Like

Show your before and after images

This thread might flop around like a dead thing, but I like to see how peoples' photographer brains work. Might also generate a bit of discussion

Be brave and show your capture shot (resized only) from any Leica and the final processed image.

Here's a sample of mine, from Monochrom.

Maintenance - Unprocessed, as shot by michael_toye, on Flickr

Maintenance by michael_toye, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Show your before and after images

Fun idea!

I hard set the ISO and Shutters in hope to contain noise and movement, figured I can deal with exposure later in PP.

L1006298-2.jpg by Hosermage, on Flickr

L1006298.jpg by Hosermage, on Flickr

I also wanted to make sure that when viewed as a thumbnail, the silhouette would be visible. It seems flickr adds a lot of sharpening... because the thumbnail in Lightroom looks a lot better.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is a display window in Manhattan, shot with an M9 and 18mm Super-Elmar. The buildings across the street are being reflected on the glass.

Tried to process it so that everything appears to be in one spatial plane. Used Lightroom 4 for the processing.

Here's another Manhattan store window, shot with a Monochrom and 21mm Super-Elmar.

Used Lightroom 5 and Silver Effex 2 to process this one.

website | photos | classic film blog
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

before...

after...
    David Young
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This might be fun. Here's my edit (before then after)
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Exposing the Attention

I've been trying lately to improve my skills in street photography. In this photo, I felt that the man in the white t-shirt was interesting. He had an animated way of speaking that seems to come through in the photo. The original was a little over exposed, so I reduced exposure with Adobe Lightroom. But I wanted to focus the attention on him and his conversation, so I used the adjustment brush in Lightroom to reduce the exposure much more on everything and everyone except for him and the woman to whom he was speaking, as well as their bench and personal items.

Leica M8.2 camera, Zeiss Plannar 50mm f/2 ZM lens; 1/350 second, f/5.6, iso 320

I also increased the vibrancy and saturation of colors, and increased contrast and clarity, but not by much. And I adjusted the white balance for less blue, but reduced the saturation of yellow.
    Last edited by Bob; 7th May 2015 at 06:12.
    Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Zeiss Ikon camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have to be honest and say that I MUCH prefer the originals vs. the retouched ones. Much!
    Except (maybe) the one featuring the homeless person kneeling. But it too lacks some finesse.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I have to be honest and say that I MUCH prefer the originals vs. the retouched ones. Much!
    Except (maybe) the one featuring the homeless person kneeling. But it too lacks some finesse.
    Serious question, do you use a properly calibrated monitor?

The reason I ask is because on my monitor the originals are all 'thin and weedy' as many photographs are as they come off the SD card, it keeps as many tones in the picture as possible without clipping. Mine are, that is why I do post processing. And of course the originals do not show the photographers final vision of how to render the subject anyway. But if you are seeing the originals as 'better' it seems to me that it can only be because your brightness and contrast is turned up to much already.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After years of posting on photography web sites--this one is new for me--and other public forums, I've learned that there will always be people who prefer the opposite of what I prefer, who see things differently--usually several--and almost no one will agree with me, or at least no one who will post a message saying so. I'm not criticizing anyone who disagrees with me or scolding those who agree with me but remain silent. I'm just observing a human phenomenon.

Whenever I post a photo that has been processed or changed in some way, no matter how clear it may be for me that the processed one is better than the original, there will be those who will say that the original was better. There is usually no one who will say the processing improved it. One would think from my experiences that there is little value to programs like Adobe Photoshop. And yet, people buy and use such software, spending millions.

If I don't show anyone the original photo, though, and post only the processed one, people will tell me they like the processed one. For instance, I posted on another site the altered version of the photo I took above, but not the original. I received good comments for it. No one said, "Why are the other people in the photo so dark? Did you alter this photo? It looks weird." Nor did anyone say, "You should try to increase the exposure in PhotoShop to make the other people and things as bright as the man and woman talking on the bench. Oh, and decrease the color saturation: the colors are too rich." They just said things like, "Nice photo." and "Interesting shot of this guy."

This contrary reaction is strange to me. But I have learned to accept it. Before I post two versions of the same photo, I tell myself this is probably how others will react. I prepare myself for it.

-Russell
    Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Zeiss Ikon camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.

Post Thanks / Like

Russell, be assured your process is quite excellent. The man in the white shirt has the casual look of a local and, surrounded by what appear to be tourists, the frame has a subtle juxtaposition to it. Interesting commentary piece.

As for the subject of PP. This thread was supposed to raise questions, both positive and constructive.

I'm pleased to see I am in the company of people who use PS/LR to style their photographs rather than manipulate and crop.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I'm debating with myself whether to post on this thread because I think the photograph should be what you want other people to see, not give them an option to get it wrong.

Altering an image to perfect the contrast and image balance is as old as the hills. A bit of burning in here or dodging there, the choice of paper grade, or the choice of a warm tone paper or a cool tone paper are things photographers have always addressed. That sophistication has however gone out the window for some people in the digital age who think it is manipulating the image. Well, we all manipulate the image just by pointing the camera at something.

I think best the sources of before and after imaging, which show how a photographer takes what the camera delivers and adjusts it to show how they envisioned the end image are the two books by Aperture, 'Darkroom' and 'Darkroom 2'. Even though darkroom based it is the image that gives the lesson, as does Adams 'The Print', showing how much he manipulated the negative to make it conform to his will.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

Post Thanks / Like

A good portion of the photos on this forum ARE interesting and I hope no one gets scared off from posting by the opinions of others.

The biggest "Post Processing" for me is the "cull". Sifting through hundreds of images, looking for that one that fits my aesthetics or has a special something that I personally find interesting. The photoshop bit is just post post. I forgot where i read this before, but: "If it wasn't an interesting photo to begin with, then all the post processing in the world won't help it."
    Last edited by jabberwocky; 1st August 2013 at 20:28.

Post Thanks / Like

+1

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    A good portion of the photos on this forum ARE interesting and I hope no one gets scared off from posting by the opinions of others.

The biggest "Post Processing" for me is the "cull". Sifting through hundreds of images, looking for that one that fits my aesthetics or has a special something that I personally find interesting. The photoshop bit is just post post. I forgot where i read this before, but: "If it wasn't an interesting photo to begin with, then all the post processing in the world won't help it."
    Well, it's pretty hard to discourage me to post The following shot I actually ignored in the initial cull. Then I was playing with some VSCO film presets and wanted to test them on a landscape shot. I found a preset "Fuji FP-100c Negative - -" that really enhanced it for me and I ended up liking it a lot. I hope this doesn't spark a preset/no-preset argument, it simply worked for me on this image.

Before:

After:
    David Young

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really liking this thread. Please post more!

Of course PP is a matter of taste, so I appreciate the brave souls who are posting here and opening themselves up for unwarranted criticism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GREAT idea for a thread, thanks for creating it!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Sooner or later someone will be told they crop too much, and it might as well be me.

I had the 35 Lux FLE and the MacroElmar-M 90 with me. For wandering around the house and ambushing various relatives it seemed the 35 was more likely suit, and even a heavy crop like this gives plenty of resolution for a portrait. The 90 is a bit too sharp anyway for kind portraits. It's easier to get back to the unaltered original in LR, so that's where the first pic comes from. The processed version comes from Aperture.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't contributed for a while...

Colin Nell by michael_toye, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my before/after image example

I use C1Pro only. No PS or anything else.

before

after

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of contrast, grain, saturation... But then, I'm a fan of Velvia, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Old post, but I still like seeing how our brains work from capture to 'developed'. Here's 3 from me. btw, the originals are as shot with exposure, highlights and blacks adjusted slightly for a 'good' exposure. No contrast, sharpening in adobe camera raw.

Zero Chance Of Rain by michael_toye, on Flickr

The Walls Have Eyes [Explored] by michael_toye, on Flickr

And here's a rare manipulation from me. I wanted the frame to be clean and, despite waiting for those people to leave, this was the best I could get

Step 4 For Phone Calls [Explored] by michael_toye, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for bringing back this thread.
    It illustrates poignantly the ambivalence I feel about my own images when comparing an original with its processed image.
    For me it's always a struggle between maintaining a more natural flatter look versus one with greater contrast and clarity.
    That's especially true for landscape shots through thirty miles of air.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread.

I'm new to the MM and am posting the original shot, followed by two versions..

The original:

My first attempt at processing:

My final version of processing:

Hutchins Redux

I had the last version printed at Digital Silver Imaging using traditional b&w chemicals/paper and blew the photo up to 30x40. It is the largest print I've ever made. I love it. The detail holds, but up close it almost looks over sharpened but has a grain like appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Rather embarrassed to show this as I started with a boring photo and tarted it up into something presentable:

Original

Processed:

A shameful fraud has been perpetrated!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Iceland 2006 - Leica DMR with 28-70 ROM lens - straight RAW capture and then B/W conversion in LR5.5 with SFX2

Post Thanks / Like

May be it's because I'm using a Mac Book Pro Retina to view this thread, I do prefer many "before" images than the after. They look more natural and less digital.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul N,

I have processed your file for a bit of fun and posted it here (I hope you don;t mind), but also so I could see if the top left is clipped (and it is). With the MM its critical to check the histogram and check there is no clipping as you cant get it back. In the case of this shot, if you had used negative exposure compensation it would have retained the top left sky and you could then have boosted the general exposure with no penalty really. I usually leave my MM at -2/3 compensation when shooting scenes like this and you are usually safe. quick check of the RAW histogram and you can adjust from there (as landscapes tend not to run away).

This version processed in LR, with a fairly gentle split tone.Will look a bit rough as v small jpg to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

PS how do you post images in the body of the post, not as attachments? If you can help, please PM me so as not to derail this thread - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG]L1003174 by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]L1003174-Edit-2 by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Hi Paul N,

I have processed your file for a bit of fun and posted it here (I hope you don;t mind), but also so I could see if the top left is clipped (and it is). With the MM its critical to check the histogram and check there is no clipping as you cant get it back. In the case of this shot, if you had used negative exposure compensation it would have retained the top left sky and you could then have boosted the general exposure with no penalty really. I usually leave my MM at -2/3 compensation when shooting scenes like this and you are usually safe. quick check of the RAW histogram and you can adjust from there (as landscapes tend not to run away).

This version processed in LR, with a fairly gentle split tone.Will look a bit rough as v small jpg to work with.
    Thanks! I like what you've done with it. I knew that the pic was blown out, but wanted to see how noticeable it would be on a large scale print. It isn't too bad. I definitely wouldn't sell a print like that, but for home use, I love looking at it

I'm still in the learning phase with this camera - I absolutely love it, but have been a bit burned by blown out highlights as of late. My recent experiments with studio lighting were interesting. I ended up with some portraits that I liked, but nailing the exposure on a subject (child) that kept getting closer and closer to the strobes was almost a lesson in futility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the main reasons I like shooting with the S2...it gets you 90% or more of the way there as long as you shoot it correctly. It's like shooting with slide film again, only with more flexibility and resolution.

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two more. Generally the only thing I need to do is add a bit of contrast for certain images (if the light is flat), or sometimes increase the shadow detail when there is a heavy light imbalance. I take a bit of saturation out of certain images, but it is quite subtle. But in general the best thing about the S2 (and m9 as well) is how little I need to process it to get what I want!

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And to be fair, here is one that needed a bit more work. I still try to keep the processing down as much as possible though. Too much and it no longer looks natural to me. Basically, I feel like you have to work with the light. If the light is not working for you, then you're out of luck. That's the luxury not having any deadlines or commitments, however. This one was for an editorial job that I had two days to do, and I had do a number of different locations and styles. I just had to get something salvageable, regardless of timing and lighting, so I had to process a bit more.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f 1,0 View Post
    Here is my before/after image example

I use C1Pro only. No PS or anything else.

Nice photograph!
    This is Le Treport near where we live when we are in France!
    Looks very familiar and I took many photographs there.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hope to make a contribution later. But I'm surprised at how much contrast you BW processors seem to favor. All those luscious middle grays are the charm of BW for me.

John
    web site | tumblr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    [IMG]L1003174 by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]L1003174-Edit-2 by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Done really nice job. Ones wonderful headshots need to convey your excellent and also cause you to seem your very best. Not a bad.
    Abbott
    "Everything Is Ok"

Post Thanks / Like

From a recent trip to Italy. "Roma Segrete". M8.2, 50 Lux ASPH, f11, 1/30. -2/3 EV.

Original DNG file, no corrections. Downsized for web. Second image processed with ACR.

Post Thanks / Like

M9 & Voigtlander 50 1.5. My youngest at the Indy 500.

John

web site | tumblr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Today: Smoke at Sunset from the Pino Fire in the Jemez Mountains, NM

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Pino Fire

M9 + WATE 16-18-21/4

OOC JPG

Processed DNG

Silver Efex Pro 2
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Here is my contribution. I went to several steps to get to the final result and I would be lying if I said I had exactly that in mind when I took the shot. The print looks beautiful though. M8, 50 Lux or cron.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apologies for reposting. I showed the finished version in a thread on 24 vs. 28 M lenses. Sure, some of the shadows fall into black, but I'm always amazed at how much can be recovered from even such an ancient sensor as the M9's.

I love this thread! Comparable to "Behind the Scenes"...

Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 6th September 2014 at 12:40.