The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M3 Vulcanite starting to Bubble..?

JeffWarren

Is there any way to fix this problem. I am Trying to restore an Olive M3 to its original condition....the last thing I want to do is re skin the thing.. any help or insight is appreciated .

Jeff

JohnBrew

Hi Jeff, I've never had to deal with a bubble problem, it seems when there are problems with Vulcanite it is usually because a chunk has fallen completely off the body. Perhaps posting an image would help? You might give Stephen Gandy's site a try or contact him. Not sure if Don Goldberg could help, but he is another source you might try for repair.
It could be as simple as using a syringe to inject a bit of epoxy or glue, but like I said a picture could help here.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I think this is just about the only one that can really restore or replace the original Vulcanite: CRR Luton.
Normally it will be replaced by some self-adhesive covering that looks a lot like the original.

JeffWarren

More on the "bubbles"...they are also malleable so John's suggestion of adding some epoxy or glue in my mind would work...but when I picked up the camera from Steve's in LA after it was CLA'ed I asked him if that was a good idea. He told me that once the vulcanite on M3's go you cant fix it...he said it would be best to just leave it be.....I just don't understand why it wouldn't work

JohnBrew

Jeff, you'll have to pardon my memory as it has been a long time since I worked with film M's, but a while back one of the Leica repair people here in US (maybe Don or Sherry?) had new M film doors available and those doors had vulcanite already on them. Finding one in olive might be tough, however.
And yes, after seeing your pics of the problem, if the vulcanite still has some resiliancy, I see no reason the glue or epoxy fix would not work.

250swb

You can buy small syringes with a fine tip for putting epoxy into awkward spaces, but you don't want too much or it will squidge out all over the place when you press the vulcanite down. But I can't see why it wouldn't work.

But first I would heat it gently with a hair dryer to see if the material will relax back into its original shape.

Steve

Gbealnz

I'd do a bit of both to be honest, try a very careful heat treatment, hairdryer being the thing, but carefully.
If that allows the vulcanite to relax and form back into shape, great. If not, try some contact adhesive underneath, if I view it right, there is a "wave" correct? Maybe see if you can free one end, and then re-contact adhesive it. You might have to keep some pressure against it until the adhesive sets though, NOT a G cramp, but like that, LOL.
Gary

250swb

Having thought about it I go along with Gary and suggest a contact adhesive. If it does look like the vulcanite will move enough to go flat a cocktail stick should get enough adhesive into both surfaces to form a good bond. Any excess can be wiped off with white spirit. I would suggest Evo Stik 'Time Bond', usually used for flooring adhesive where some repositioning is possible.

Steve

Gbealnz

And from looking again at the pictures, I'd very carefully try to raise the entire right hand side, from the side through at least to the bubble. Once "up", carefully clean the surfaces and then coat with a contact adhesive. when dry, replace. Simple really, but be careful lifting the existing vulcanite, least you tear it.
It's always easier to put it down, rather than trying to slide a bit into the cavity and then push it down. The stuff available here (in NZ) is soluble in a solvent like turps or petrol, so cleanup should be simple enough.
Gary