Site Sponsors

Thread: Weather testing the M

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Weather testing the M

I never would have tried this before with anything but my Nikons, and I wasn't all that eager to try it now with my new M, but I suppose it was time to take the plunge. I had it out last night in a driving rain for a client shoot, using the Lux 35mm f/1.4 FLE. Neither camera nor lens seemed to suffer from the experience even though both were soaked. I will test it more systematically this weekend, but I think the camera survived--and the lens, which I was more worried about. I won't push it any farther than this, though. I was in Tewksbury, MA.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather testing the M

I would not put my M9 through weather like that. The Leica Digital cameras are not weather sealed and the risk does appear to be higher than the reward.

JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    I would not put my M9 through weather like that. The Leica Digital cameras are not weather sealed and the risk does appear to be higher than the reward.

JMHO.
    AFAIK, the M 240 is weather sealed, the lenses are not though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    The Leica Digital cameras are not weather sealed
    The M is. And for those concerned that M lenses aren't, Stefan Daniel has stated that, after testing, it was determined that the tolerances and such didn't require additional seals.

Of course common sense prevails and I don't think we know how Leica might respond to a weather related issue.

I don't worry though, even with my M8.2, since my insurance covers all circumstances, even resulting from my own stupidity.

Jeff

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you, Seakayaker. I wouldn't have taken my M9 out either last night. But I was being paid to do my work and am trying to wean myself from carrying Nikons on every shoot, so was left with the choice of using a Hasselblad H4D-60 and even more expensive lens, or pushing the limits of my tolerance with the M--or missing the shots. If I had planned better, I would have had a cover or worked up the old-reilable garbage-bag system, but I didn't. Can't say I was sanguine or would do it every day, but I know i can push this tool farther than I thought I could. That's my report.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for mis-speaking regarding the weather seal capabilities of the 'M'.

Timothy, I hope you got the photograph with the M you were looking for up in Tewksbury. From the photo you posted it looked like it was a downpour!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never let inclement weather stop me from shooting. I do some of my best work in crappy weather. I have no qualms about taking my Leica's out in mist or light rain - downpours are another story, however - then I use a Nikon )

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd like to see a snapshot of the camera & lens all covered in raindrops.
    The sadist in me!

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post
    Personally I'd like to see a snapshot of the camera & lens all covered in raindrops.
    The sadist in me!
    That's probably the visual I would be interested in too. Maybe next time I'm in the rain I will do that. One habit I've had with any camera system, including the redoubtable Nikons, is to carry a medium size camp towel, the kind you get from a backpacking store that is like a large, super-absorbent, micro-cloth. I keep the towel more or less draped over the camera or lens as I walk around in the elements, or as the camera sits on a tripod, then use it to wipe the water off when I'm done with that shot or series of shots, then put it back on the camera. It takes on a lot of water before you have to wring the thing out. I use the same towel sometimes in very dusty environments, such as along gravel roads with traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the Leica catalog regarding the M 240:

Splash-proof camera body
    Specially designed rubber seals protect its body against splashes, moisture and dust, making the Leica M a pleasure to use in any weather conditions.

Personally, I'm not interpreting "splash-proof" to mean water-proof. Better safe than sorry.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The M is best described as water "resistant." Nobody's making any claims to be waterproof. Not even Canon (or Nikon) make that claim.

The lenses do have tight tolerances, and also the grease helps to keep the water out. A UV filter is probably a VERY good idea, as is a hood.

That said, I've had my M9 out in the snow and light rain and had nary an issue. Anything more than that though and out comes the 1D IIn and L zoom.