The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EVF for the 240?

jackperk

Just got my new M. Wondering now if I want to pop for the EVF. I do mostly landscape. Lenses from 12-135. Whaddya think?

TimWright

Yup. Great for anything under 28 and over 50 or if you want precise framing. Buy the Olympus one which is the same as the Leica but much cheaper. Rumor has it that the new Oly one might be working when the new firmware gets released.

John Black

For landscapes I find live view more than adequate. I have used EVF, but not much. The EVF is helpful when using lenses like 50/.95 wide open.

BANKER1

Got my EVF with my new silver version at the same time. Being new to RF, I didn't want to leave anything to chance. It is great for my purposes, but I do not do landscape exclusively. However, you can see a landscape of mine in the "fun with the new M" thread. I was reassured, by the preview in the EVF, that I got the blue sky as it actually appeared. In daylight, that may have been a problem with the live view, but honestly I did not look at the display for a preview since it was a very bright day.

Thought about the Oly, but honestly, I couldn't stand the thought of an Oly logo on a Leica, especially on my very first one. And, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Leica could/would exclude it via software. Not likely, but possible.

Greg

mmbma

the whole rangefinder experience is about "leaving something to chance". By using the EVF and the liveview all the time you are actually missing out on the rangefinder experience

TimWright

the whole rangefinder experience is about "leaving something to chance". By using the EVF and the liveview all the time you are actually missing out on the rangefinder experience
Haha, I don't know anyone who wants to leave something to chance. The opposite is true by using the rangefinder you leave less to chance as you can anticipate the moment and see what is going on at the moment of exposure. Also I didn't see anyone mention using the evf or liveview all the time. OP asked about using an eve for landscape and like I said for critical framing and focusing especially if the camera is down low where you can flip the eve up it is really worth while.

mmbma

just the griping from a guy who couldn't buy a M240 when he's offering up honest to god money :)

250swb

I'm not entirely sure about the need for an EVF with landscape photography, critical framing could be more easily done by chimping your last picture, and seeing the picture on your LCD you can contemplate it at leisure. And away from landscape to say fast moving action I can't see the point of the EVF either, it won't help with faster focusing, and impedes the view of things coming into the frame. Where it would benefit is with critical focusing of longer lenses, or close up, or using other manufacturers lenses on the camera. And not to typecast it, but 'landscape' photography tends to favour a tripod, slowing down and thinking, stopping the lens down to its optimum aperture, and holding your breath, so the EVF experience seems almost entirely redundant.

But if you do, get the Olympus version, cheaper and the same spec., or wait to see if the M240's firmware update includes provision for the new VF4 which is much superior. All these EVF's are made by Epson anyway, so brand loyalty is misplaced.

Steve

Godfrey

I have the Olympus VF-2 already, so in that future moment when I acquire a new M with Live View, I'm all set.

I see the VF-2 as extending the M territory. I love rangefinder shooting, but it has its limits for more technical work where critical framing and focusing become a priority. Macro, long lenses, copy work, landscape, etc ... Traditional solutions for RF cameras in these areas are clumsy and made SLRs the preferred solution in the 1960s. With Live View and good to excellent EVFs (even the Oly VF-2 is quite good, the Oly VF-4 is even better), the versatility of the M extends to almost meet that of an SLR. (SLRs are still faster for sequence capture and such, but that's not my thing.)

But to answer the original question, I'd say "yes, no question." I would love to have Live View and an EVF on the M9 for when I want to do more studied work—it would be a boon—even if I'm working with wide to normal lenses. For long lenses and macro lenses, there's no question. The ability to precisely place focus and exposure without moving the camera around to accommodate the rangefinder focusing spot, to have true 100% viewfinder coverage ... these are invaluable features.

G

rich_

I tried an M today with the EVF.

I'm sure it is very useful with uncoupled lenses but the whole experience for me felt like an afterthought. I feel they should upgrade the EVF also. I had the similar EVF for my previous X2. It's fine. But the Sony RX1 EVF shows what can be done.

SO very quiet compared to my M9-P!

Thanks
Rich

Godfrey

I tried an M today with the EVF.
I'm sure it is very useful with uncoupled lenses ...
And long telephotos.
And macro lenses.

An RX1 has only one prime lens. It's much easier to make a great viewfinder for a single lens camera.

G

Ulfric Douglas

I guess nobody has tried the very new Olympus VF-4 in it?
Probably won't work because of firmware requirements, but if it does you've got a great deal and leading-edge clarity.

jstaben

I guess nobody has tried the very new Olympus VF-4 in it?
Probably won't work because of firmware requirements, but if it does you've got a great deal and leading-edge clarity.

Yes it has been tried and doesn't work.

AS noted, it may work with future FW update but this is rumor.

MirekE

Just got my new M. Wondering now if I want to pop for the EVF. I do mostly landscape. Lenses from 12-135. Whaddya think?
I am considering the EVF as a part of a weight reducing strategy. I assume that it can be used for comfortable focusing with small tripods. I would ditch my large tripod with heavy ballhead and replace it with one of the Traveller or Ocean models or something like that. Probably not the most typical use of EVF, but I think it might work.

Godfrey

I am considering the EVF as a part of a weight reducing strategy. I assume that it can be used for comfortable focusing with small tripods. I would ditch my large tripod with heavy ballhead and replace it with one of the Traveller or Ocean models or something like that. Probably not the most typical use of EVF, but I think it might work.
I don't know how using an EVF changes what you feel necessary to use as a tripod ... Can you explain?

One thing the EVF provides for tripod use is the ability to put the camera down low and access the viewfinder from above, with the camera in a horizontal orientation. That's useful, and it's great for a copy stand as well.

(Of course, using a Leica M camera on a copy stand used to be a terrific pain in the butt with all kinds of gizmos needed to frame and focus accurately. Visoflexes, close up lenses with correcting prisms, etc. With Live View in the M(240), all of that is done away with. Fit a Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens, or any number of other excellent macro lenses, turn on Live View, and go for it. ... :)

G

d.clin.design

I had a LCDVF left over from my 5D MKII video days that surprisingly works great on the M. It's basically a viewfinder magnifier that fits over the rear lcd screen. If you don't need the tilt option and don't mind the larger size, it's not a bad alternative. I'll get some picture of it on the camera soon.
I'm able to use it for landscape stills as well as hand held video shoots.