The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 12504 hood cap?

LCT

12504 is from the sixties when hood caps were for reversible hoods only like 12575, 12585 or 12586.The 12504 is not reversible though so no hood cap for it as far as i know sorry.

JL12

Zeiss ZF 58mm or Nikon 58mm lens caps fit on the 12504 Leica hood. It's not the most elegant solution but it works. For what it's worth I've had the 12504 hood on a 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph for a number of years and never felt the need to put a cap on the hood. The hood already does quite a good job of protecting the lens, and it's nice always being ready for a shot with it uncapped.

Bob Parsons

The hood cap for the 12504 is Leica/Leitz part number 14033. It's the same cap as used for the 12575, 12585 and 12538 hoods. The cap pushes and locks into place over the release tabs on the hood which is reversed over the lens. The 12504 hood can't be reversed over some lenses which have a focus tab. Both my 14033 caps are from the Leitz era.

Bob.

LCT

The 12504 has never been sold new with a hood cap if memory serves as it could not be reversed on the lenses it was made for (35/1.4, 35/2).

gooomz

i was thinking the hood cap for the 12504 would be nice when my camera would be in my bag for a while otherwise I noticed my front element gets a bit dusty without a hood cover after a couple of days.

LCT

Problem is there is none, at Leica's at least, unless you're using it with other lenses than Summilux 35/1.4 or Summicron 35/2, in which case you might try to reverse the hood and use the 14003 hood cap referred to above.

algrove

i was thinking the hood cap for the 12504 would be nice when my camera would be in my bag for a while otherwise I noticed my front element gets a bit dusty without a hood cover after a couple of days.
Perhaps to use a filter as protection for a few days is a solution also as these plastic caps often tend to want to fall off when nudged in a bag.

Just checked and I have a 14033 that fits over my hood #12538 which is on an old 50/2 V2 #11819.