The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

At the Udvar Hazy Center today 8/17

VINCET

I was at the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy Center today when I spotted a guy using a Leica Monochrome and a silver lens. Wondering if he is part of the getdpi community. I was going to say hi but my daughter (4 yrs old) was in a hurry to go to the restroom.

D&A

I was at the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy Center today when I spotted a guy using a Leica Monochrome and a silver lens. Wondering if he is part of the getdpi community. I was going to say hi but my daughter (4 yrs old) was in a hurry to go to the restroom.
It certainly wasn't me (I still dream of obtaining a Monochrom), but I was within 5 min of the Udvar Hazy Center today (Sat.). :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

VINCET

Hi Dave

I actually wondered if the person I saw was you. He probably remembered us since I saws smile on his face when he saw my 4 yrs old talking pictures with the Nikon V1 just after I took the same photo using my D800e. My 3 yrs old also was holding her own Canon Sd630 point and shoot :)

A family that shoot together stays together. Only my wife was not holding a camera. But she was carry the camera bag for our daughters.

It was a great day overall.

D&A

No, definitely wasn't me, unless I have a Monochrom I didn't know I had....LOL!

It's great when the whole family gets into using cameras, especially while traveling and fun to see everyone's point of view on observing and photographing similar things.

The Udvar Hazy Center is quite unique and it often takes more than one visit to take it all in. Glad everyone is having a great time!

Vince, I just sent you an e-mail.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

VINCET

Thomas

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, must be him. Definitely the correct date, plus, I don't think there are that many people with the Leica Monochrom. I will drop him a note.

Vince

asiafish

You should, he's a great guy and a real expert on ancient glass. Bought a Russian Jupiter 3 (Zeiss C Sonnar clone) from him, with the history and optics lessons thrown in for free.

D&A

You should, he's a great guy and a real expert on ancient glass. Bought a Russian Jupiter 3 (Zeiss C Sonnar clone) from him, with the history and optics lessons thrown in for free.
+1! Couldn't agree more! I've been communicating with Brian this past week and did mention to him about possibly seeing Vincent (and visa versa) at the Smithsonian this past weekend. He's extremely knowledgeable about older/ancient optics, espeically Jupitar lenses among many others.

Dave (D&A)

asiafish

I think that Jupiter 3 is likely to become my favorite lens. Its of very poor build quality, but the bokeh is to die for. Brian is currently fine-tuning it (free of charge).

VINCET

I did verify and yes, he was the one I almost bumped into. When I saw the camera around his shoulder, I did not really recognized the lens since it is shinny silver not the typical Leica silver chrome.

He also remembered seeing me too because when he saw me the first time, he was smiling as he saw my 4 yrs old daughter taking pictures with the Nikon V1 and me using my D800e. In someways, I really missed bringing the Leica because the Nikon are just so heavy. But trying to chase after a 4 and 3 yrs old with a Leica M is not too much fun.

VINCET

Algrove - I know I need an M, having 2 kids however is not helping :) Would you take a trade, the M for one of my kids? They are potty trained already. :)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Wow. A new low is reached. A genuine offer to trade a Leica for a kid. I only wonder which will be the least expensive in the long run :ROTFL: