The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

step from M9 to M type240 - your experience?

Paratom

This may be a reason why I'm trying really hard to ignore the new M... I can't really justify keeping both except the need for a second body, but the emotional attachment to the old M9 will be hard to sever. :loco:
When I will get the M my M9 has to go. What will not go is the MM though.

jonoslack

Love my M9P, and even more so the MM. I Hope to have an M someday, once the kinks are worked out, but it may be a long time to get on a list and wait....a year at this point, so maybe an M240P ....I would like to see a WB, color tweak....
Hi Ashwin
There are kinks . . . and they are being ironed out BUT there are already fewer kinks than in the MM or the M9!

erudolph

Had an M9 for several years and got the MM in November, 2012. (Aside: the day I received the MM I also read Bryce Bayer's obituary in the New York Times.) Between November and May I shot less than a dozen color shots, i.e., did not use the M9, that is how enchanting the MM is. In May received M and sold M9. The excitement of the new camera got me to carrying both M and MM almost all the time. The M is, to me, very likable for reasons stated above. However, I still miss the resolution lost to the Bayer filter.

Paratom

Hi Ashwin
There are kinks . . . and they are being ironed out BUT there are already fewer kinks than in the MM or the M9!
MM...kinkds?...no way ;)

By the way: there seems a good chance that I will be owner of a M by the end of the week ;)

GMB

MM...kinkds?...no way ;)

By the way: there seems a good chance that I will be owner of a M by the end of the week ;)
Tom,

Why am I not surprised :D? This was in the air the moment the thread was opened. And there is a good chance I may go down the same route after having read the thread......

asiafish

I shoot about 80% black and white. I have an M8.2 and MM, both which I am happy with. Maybe when used prices on the M240 hit $5000 I'll take a look. Until then M8.2 is fine for color work.

MPK2010

Have had the M aka M240 for a month or so, after using the M9 for about 3 years.

The main difference for me is the M240 is more fun to use. I think the shutter is a big part of it, more important than you'd expect. Not thinking about rain/weather, a battery that lasts over 1000 shots, seeing pictures bigger on the LCD, these things are probably part of it too.

LV I almost never use. No thought of buying an EVF. Rangefinder seems more consistent than M9; ie always right.

Re IQ. Better in a technical sense -- DR, ISO etc. But be prepared that what comes directly out of camera at first is often not particularly beautiful, at least compared to the M9. You actually have to post process the files. But you can. The files are more flexible. I think the main issue with what you see at initial default settings for the M240 in Lightroom is not just color and white balance issues, but unattractive default tone curves. I have a new appreciation for the look that comes from the out-of-camera M9 raws in Lightroom.

So far, I've found better success with trying to take advantage of the M240's strengths rather than trying to exactly "match" the M9 look. The M240 sometimes looks more soft, detailed, smooth and saturated. The M9 often looks more brilliant and slightly hard. Just different starting points, I think.

Two clear IQ advantages for the M240 though: B&W conversions, and the ISO range right around 1600. Both are key improvements.

So M240 is a lot better for shots of people at night. In good light at base ISO, it's more of just a different starting point, one I'm still evaluating.

Also seems my favorite lenses on M9 may not be the same as M240. Still figuring it out, but 35 Summarit I like less on M240 (in particular, some focus transitions seem more jarring, not sure why), 50 Summicron pre-APO I like more (on M240, strongly prefer it to 50 Summilux ASPH for people photos). 50 AA great on both, though different looks.

So overall, so far: almost always want to use the M240; but also new appreciation for the M9 as a classic at base ISO.

Paratom

Tom,

Why am I not surprised :D? This was in the air the moment the thread was opened. And there is a good chance I may go down the same route after having read the thread......
I had preordered one for long time but changed my mind every 2 months. When I started the thread I didnt know I could get it soon. The answers here helped me to be clear that I will most likely really like the new M.
So the message that my M will be delivered soon came at the right moment (2 weeks ago I might have canceled the delivery)
I am looking forward to the big display, speed, and more smooth shutter.
Thanks for all the feedback and please keep the thread goin. I will hopefully be able to post my thoughts soon.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Very happy about the transition. To me the EVF is a godsend, it saves me carrying a complete second DSLR system or making do with the Visoflex. The EVF serves well enough.* The improvements on the camera are the icing on the cake. Better rangefinder, better build, slightly better IQ. And all the goodies other posters mentioned. Nice, but not essential. All in all well worth the upgrade. I'm not selling my M9 though ;) And the Monochrom remains my all-time favorite camera...:)

*Don't do what I did this weekend, though. Take the DMR out for a spin. The R8 viewfinder makes the EVF look like a scene viewed through a coke-bottle bottom...:(

KeithL

Paratom, like you I'm using an M9 and have an M240 on order. Unlike you I do need liveview and an EVF.

So, barring any unforeseen concerns the M240 will be a keeper, my dilemma will be whether to keep the M9. I'll set up the M240 as tripod based complete with EVF and L bracket and 21mm lens for my architectural work and may well keep the M9 as my walk-around camera with 35mm lens.

Whatever, it's a nice position to be in.

Paratom

Paratom, like you I'm using an M9 and have an M240 on order. Unlike you I do need liveview and an EVF.

So, barring any unforeseen concerns the M240 will be a keeper, my dilemma will be whether to keep the M9. I'll set up the M240 as tripod based complete with EVF and L bracket and 21mm lens for my architectural work and may well keep the M9 as my walk-around camera with 35mm lens.

Whatever, it's a nice position to be in.
I once had an M8 and added a M8.2 with the thought of carrying 2 bodies, but in reality I did not want to carry 2 bodies often. Since then I know I am not someone who usually works with 2 bodies at the same time.
So I assume the M9 would not be used anyways as soon as I receive the M. That's why I plan to sell it. I also want to concentrate on the new M and not switch back and forth and have 2 different types of files to work with.
Also I am keeping my MM which I find unique (but here I also usually carry either the MM or the new M).
As a backup? I am not a pro, and as a backup during vacation etc. I usually bring a smaller camera like the x2 or RX100 or X-Vario (my choice for many things at the moment and also a nice backup for the new M I believe)

Regarding your plan...I understand that you like EVF for your landscape framing, but then doesn't it make sense to also use the camera with the better high ISO, the more quiet shutter, faster operation and good screen for walk around and maybe the M9 on the tripod (maybe with a good optical 21mm finder)?

KeithL

Regarding your plan...I understand that you like EVF for your landscape framing, but then doesn't it make sense to also use the camera with the better high ISO, the more quiet shutter, faster operation and good screen for walk around and maybe the M9 on the tripod (maybe with a good optical 21mm finder)?
The EVF and liveview on the M240 will be essential if I am to use it for my architectural work. For the moment though I'm keeping all options open.

Godfrey

It's good to see all the positive comments.
I'll be up for a new M in late 2014 or 2015.
Prior to that, I might seek a trade – M9 for M Monochrom.

But nothing right now. Too many conflicting desires and ideas. Better to just shoot and let my mind settle. Acting on impulse can be expensive, and more than just money.

G

rsmphoto

Miss the M9 file characteristics that came "right off the card", but I can get there without much effort in post with the M. (i.e. initial file quality still definitely needs work IMHO). Definitely easier to focus with the RF, sits in the hand a bit better (thumb rest?). Love the quiet shutter (like the old days with my M2's!), red frame lines, the more malleable files, higher ISO quality. Menu nav is improved, but what's with the metering choice options? A little confusing there initially. Will probably never use LV, but nice to know it's there if needed.

Once the Multi-function handgrip makes its debut for tethering, I'll be in a very happy place, having a fully useable "lightweight" system to complement my S2 kit.

Richard

ashwinrao1

I guess I am kinky :)....Seriously though, I need to use an M more before passing judgment. 1 day of shooting isn't fair. Both the M9 annd MM are buggy in their own ways, but I guess I am used to their quirks....I'd love an MM equivalent in color, blown highlights and all :)

ashwinrao1

That critical bayer-less detail is what blows me away every time. The M has plenty of resolution, however, and the DR is much much improved over the M9 (and the MM in highlights), from what I have seen. Truth be told, if I weren't getting married and had those finances to consider, I'd be all over an M and would have tried my best to figure it out (I adjust colors anyways, so it would just be a new work flow)....that being said, the M9 and MM work very well together as a 1-2 punch, despite their quirks...but the M240 may be a better option for those looking for one solution.

Okay, shutting my trap now and off to work to inject some joints....I'm better at that anyways :)