The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple Aperture and Monochrom

kevinparis

Hi

playing around with Cam's monochrome, and the new support in Aperture I discovered that if you fiddle with the WB or indeed with the curves for RGB you can get some interesting toning effects... Maybe this is common knowledge... but thought I would share anyway

K

L1002575 by kevinparis, on Flickr

L1002578 by kevinparis, on Flickr

Nice! As a longtime Aperture user I'm happy they updated things to include the Mononchrom since I just got one on Tuesday! Two-days with Lightroom were more than I want! I know it's what you're used to, but I was not liking it at all!!! Well, I did like that it brought in the lens name and aperture used, but that was it.

kevinparis

First on looks almost like split tone. Neat!

G
thanks

truth be told you can probably do this in lightroom too... after all internally I am sure both apps will treat the file as an RGB file with all the channels the same value.

There may be some fun in using the fact that Aperture allows you to brush in/out multiple instances of a curves adjustment, opening up some hand tinting possibilities.

cheers

K

jonoslack

HI Kevin
I really like the Aperture version - seems to be better than LR - also it will recover blown highlights really well.
Generally excellent (the M support is also a real improvement)

all the best

Godfrey

You can do this kind of effect very precisely with the Lightroom split-tone panel; I don't know if you can do it simply by manipulating white balance unless you intentionally flip the switch to make the MM output into an RGB image. White balance is usually disabled for B&W rendering output.

I still have Aperture but haven't touched it since Lightroom 5 shipped. LR simply does everything I want, and more easily, for me. I've not gotten my head around all the different modes and HID and stuff in Aperture, I used to use it for making books but now I can do those directly from LR.

The two applications are similar in many ways, but vastly different in others. Both work very well, and have very good calibrations for the M9/MM/etc.

BTW, you can get similar effects on the iPad using SnapSeed and white balance adjustment too, on JPEG images of course. :)

G

thanks

truth be told you can probably do this in lightroom too... after all internally I am sure both apps will treat the file as an RGB file with all the channels the same value.

There may be some fun in using the fact that Aperture allows you to brush in/out multiple instances of a curves adjustment, opening up some hand tinting possibilities.

cheers

K

erudolph

Seems like Aperture, Lightoom and Capture One all do the job pretty well. In each of them I find myself missing a feature that one of the others has. In Lightroom I wish I could erase part of a gradient or radial mask, as you can in C1. Or that I had C1's fabulous highlight recovery. In C1 I wish that the local adjustments had as many parameters as there are in LR's local adjustments. I'm not that familiar with Aperture but the ability to stack adjustments seems like a desirable feature.

Just for example.