Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Happy Birthday M8 1 year ago Today

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Jono, Portfolio in your pocket

What service provider for UK
    HI Guy
    Resistance is useless - it's on O2, so I can just plug it in and transfer my number; think of me queuing in the rain this afternoon!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jono,
    At an exchange rate of 2.10 you can fly over and pick it up for free. They still have it......p
    Hi Terry - maybe they should have avatars on dpreview, save us all from embarrassing failures of memory!

As for flying over and picking it up for free . . . . you're probably right, but it's time that is of the essence here!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts View Post
    Congrats on the 28 'cron, Terry!

It's the one M lens still calling me, but it's dialling collect and I can't accept the charges!! LOL!!

You know that joke won't even make sense in a year or two? Jono probably doesn't even make "collect calls"...
    Hi Jamie
    I hope you're well - you're right, we don't have 'collect' calls here - there used to be reversed charge calls, but I'm not sure that they still exist. Still, I've read enough american literature to have laughed out loud!

I did a trade with Vieri, and ended up with a 50 1.5 sonnar - which I never needed and absolutely love, and a 25 f2.8 biogon - which is a less controversial and stellar performer, it's given me pause for thought with respect to lenses, the trouble being the hassle with mounts etc. The 25 is certainly good enough to stop me needing to rush out for the 24 elmarit.

Just this guy you know

Jamie Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Jamie
    I hope you're well - you're right, we don't have 'collect' calls here - there used to be reversed charge calls, but I'm not sure that they still exist. Still, I've read enough american literature to have laughed out loud!

I did a trade with Vieri, and ended up with a 50 1.5 sonnar - which I never needed and absolutely love, and a 25 f2.8 biogon - which is a less controversial and stellar performer, it's given me pause for thought with respect to lenses, the trouble being the hassle with mounts etc. The 25 is certainly good enough to stop me needing to rush out for the 24 elmarit.
    Hi Jono! Great to see you here

That 50 1.5 is really intriguing, and I'd love to see more work from it. Since you have both the Nocti and the 1.5, how would you say they differ in character? (not including, of course, the extra stop).

The problem for me is the 28 speed. I have a CV 28 1.9 which is fast enough, but it doesn't have the same stuff as the 'cron wide open and--as you say--the mounts are a bit wonky for coding and so on.

Still, I should just bite the bullet and buy a Milich adapter for it.

I hear you on the 25 range too. I like my Elmarit 24, I really do, but I find I prefer the 21 FOV more often on the M8, and while the 24 is sharp as razor blades it's missing something I can't quite put my finger on... but it's another lens that needs to be coded, so when I get a little break in January it's off to Leica for the code.

Of course, I'm hanging on to both because I think we'll see a ff M digital someday

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a FYI . Leica just e-mailed me my 35 cron version IV is being sent back coded and focusing was eased up on it , It was a little stiff and maybe needed new grease. Have to say the service for me in NJ is unmatched. I know there has been issues for some folks but when they deliver they deliver.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie,
    Camerquest now has the LTM 28/90 adapter II ($55) which can be sent to John Milich for coding. It doesn't have the cutouts that adapter I had (that prevented coding).

I have a Sonnar 50 1.5 and will finally be getting my Noctilux in my hands in about 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, Portfolio in your pocket

What service provider for UK
    Got one - big queues all over the UK . . . I went to my local store 1/2 before launch time (6.02 pm) . . . . there was one person in the queue

so now I also have a portfolio in my pocket.

not sent from my iphone . . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You will love it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a FYI . Leica just e-mailed me my 35 cron version IV is being sent back coded and focusing was eased up on it , It was a little stiff and maybe needed new grease. Have to say the service for me in NJ is unmatched. I know there has been issues for some folks but when they deliver they deliver.
    Guy

You are a serious asset for Leica and I am sure that your positivness about leica and your pro status makes all the differerence. I just sent back my black M8 for rangefinder focus issues and had Linda and Jim helping me. The written reply I got was 4-6 weeks which I find totally unacceptable. I can't compare to Nikon or Canon because I no longer shoot with their gear but I am with Roger Dunham that those of us who are not pros, or get some sort of special dispensation find the Leica US service a shambles. I built a company based on quality service for $3 Million systems to test semiconductor chips and if my service were like leica I would have sold my last system ever to Intel! No joke. Leica U S service is pathetic and I could quote many more specific examples. Only good thing is nobody dies as a result of what they do.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    You gotta watch Guy, he is very helpful in spending your money. At least you can be content in knowing you are getting good advice from him. He is right about the 28 Cron. It is on my list of gotta get lenses - to bad the list is bigger than my toy fund.
    Hey Mark

There is no question that the 28 cron is the lenscap for the M8. I have had mine for about 9 months now and would not be caught dead without it. FOV is just right and the sharpness and bokeh just outstanding. Get rid of all your 35's and get the 28. You will never be sorry. Sorry Terry about spending so much of your money but you can save elsewhere. A 15, 21, 28, 50 and then either 75 lux or 90 APO cron (depending on what you love to shoot) completes the deal. Until there is enough disposable cash for that whole lot, the 15, 28, and 75 will get 95% of the shots.

Just MHO

Woody Spedden

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry i found a lens for you on e-bay check your PM. Don't know the person but sounds legit a 35 cron version IV. Fair warning hanging around me can get you in real trouble. ROTFLMAO there like kids to me , love to have them all and they don't talk back. LOL
    Guy,
    This lens auction just ended....at $2,010!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is just crazy. A new 35 cron ASPH is 2200.00. The prices have gone nuts on the version IV . I paid 1400 I believe on e-bay with buy it now. And only last month. Now i did send it to Leica to get coded and my focusing was stiff. That comes back tomorrow and my Zeiss 18mm comes back today from a custom mount that John made for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess we shouldn't have talked it up so much...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."